• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Continuously Restarts After Overclock (Not urgent, but help appreciated)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Casual

Hello!

After I overclock from 3.3 to 3.4, changing voltage up a notch or keeping current, my PC will restart Itself after saving saving setting In BIOS (right after windows logo), and If I power down and start up, It does the same over and over. No BSOD, no nothing.

Please note I disabled 2 out of the 6 cores, for some reason have found more stability that way (even though temps were never an Issue). This has kind of confused me.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
EVGA GTX 660 SC
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2p
RAIDMAX RX-600AF-B 600W
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (Multiplier lowered to match stock speeds during overclocked due to locked CPU)
Hyper 212 EVO - ArticSilver 5

Don't laugh, It's my first PC build :p Graphics card and power supply are brand new.

Current clock tested via Prime95 for 9 hours (please don't make this an argument about load test times :p).

I'm new to overclocking, and the problems that arise during overclocking, so any help would be much appreciated. I have searched the Issue, but have not found much on It. Trying to squeeze as much out of this as I can until I can upgrade.

If you need me to post more just say so! Thanks for any help that Is given.

Idle Temp - 32C
Prime95 (Highest recorded temp) - 52C

CPUZ-

CPUZ.png

Stable BIOS Settings-

0414141557.jpg

Take that PSU right back where you got it. It's a POS, and probably your problem.

Take that PSU right back where you got it. It's a POS, and probably your problem.

I was thinking It was a PSU Issue due to all the horrible things I have read on It. Then again, some people seemed to not mind It.

Any way to pin point the problem directly to the PSU? Or Is what I described for sure a PSU problem?

what happens when you reset it to default?

When I set back to default, everything Is fine. When I set It back to the stable OC, everything Is fine.

Could this really be the limits of CPU? Or maybe a PSU Issue as stated above, or motherboard Issue.

reset it to default settings first, then start over, then do like Mr. scott said.

reset it to default settings first, then start over, then do like Mr. scott said.

Alrighty, think I will give a new power supply a go.

I still have my old PSU, so maybe I will remove my current GPU, put the old one back in, then hook the old PSU up and see If I have better luck.

Windows sometimes detects a fault, but still won't show a BSOD. (Windows just reboots)

There usually is a "Save Dump" entry in the event log. (At least on XP and 2000)

There should be a crash code:

A.K.A. bugcheck code:

Ends with "a" = Core instability

Ends with "50" = RAM instability

Ends with "4e" = RAM instability

Last edited:
Windows sometimes detects a fault, but still won't show a BSOD. (Windows just reboots)

There usually is a "Save Dump" entry in the event log. (At least on XP and 2000)

There should be a crash code:

A.K.A. bugcheck code:

Ends with "a" = Core instability

Ends with "50" = RAM instability

Ends with "4e" = RAM instability

I have looked In the event viewer, and can't find what you are saying. What section would I find these may I ask?

The latest one I can find Is Is a Kernel-Power, ID 41.

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

So from what I have read, It Is PSU.

Last edited:
Could you please attach two other CPU-z pics? We don't have all the frequency info we need. Please attach these two tabs in addition to the CPU tab you show earlier in the post: Memory and SPD.

That motherboard only has a 760g chipset. I'm guessing it's over matched by that 6 core Thuban CPU. Probably will barely handle it at stock and when you start to overclock it you exceed what the puny power phase components can handle. Too much heat and juice for that board.

Last edited:
Could you please attach two other CPU-z pics? We don't have all the frequency info we need. Please attach these two tabs in addition to the CPU tab you show earlier in the post: Memory and SPD.

That motherboard only has a 760g chipset. I'm guessing it's over matched by that 6 core Thuban CPU. Probably will barely handle it at stock and when you start to overclock it you exceed what the puny power phase components can handle. Too much heat and juice for that board.

I lowered the memory multiplier so I wouldn't be overclocking It past It's stock 1333.

d636a8179a66e7deffc98a1d8a5206f4.png

51d0c5e273928dd714fbbf34b7da00b0.png

I also think It Is the motherboard now. Too bad though, was wanting to squeeze as much out of this as I could before I upgrade this month.

Would It be asking too much If I asked your opinions on my next upgrade for the parts I will be getting (will be an Intel build)?

Thanks for the replies guys!

"1e" (may appear as "1E") = Probable core instability (Was overheating in my case when I got that one on Windows 2000) (Was with my Barton on Asus A7N8X-X)

"9c" =Core instability, only confirmed to appear on XP and won't appear on Vista and later.

On Vista and later, it's "124". According to Microsoft.
Microsoft decided to change the error code for a machine check exception with Vista and later.

Last edited:
Back