• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I found that... I thought it looked similar, but didn't know they were written by the same person.

I was looking for MORE to read. LOL

I'll just stick to the guide posted at TR then.

Heh, I can do it pretty quickly:

1. Raise Multi
2. Test
3. If pass - repeat #s 1 & 2, else to go to #4. If blinking cursor, go to #8
4. Raise Vcore
5. Test
6. If pass and within thermal limit - repeat #s 1 & 2, else to go to #4. If not within thermal limit, go to #5.
7. Thermal limit reached, stop.
8. Brick wall.

:D

Seriously though, we can help if you need it. Are you stuck somewhere? Or you could start a thread.

Yep, same guy.

SB is pretty simple. For 24/7 clocks, you just have to mess with the CPU multiplier and vcore really.

I'm confused. You first found out the highest stable bclk. Then when you focus on the memory you are pushing the bclk past its highest stable frequency by 2 MHz increments. Please explain.

IIRC you are to drop your Bclk down to where it was at stock then increase in 2mhz increments, you don't start from the highest stable bclk levels.

IIRC you are to drop your Bclk down to where it was at stock then increase in 2mhz increments, you don't start from the highest stable bclk levels.

So the whole point of the bclk phase and the memory phase are to find your optimal VTT and DRAM voltages?

Because ultimately in the end, you are dropping the bclk all the way down and upping the CPU multiplier before you start tweaking the Vcore in unison with the bclk.

That is correct, as you need to find the voltages for the QPI/VTT, the DRAM, and then for the Vcore for the CPU, but it will also give you a point where you know that you will most likely max out so that you don't start adding more and more and trying to determine if what you are being limited by.

So then it's possible that your memory limits your overclock? Let's say my max bclk is 200. Then I change it to 133 to test the memory by 2 MHz increments. What if I can't get the bclk back up to 200 while increasing the DRAM voltage? By that rationale my VTT would be higher than necessary.

correct, you will want to find out what your VTT needs to be at the level that you reach at for your DRAM if it is indeed the limiting factor.

So then it's possible that your memory limits your overclock? Let's say my max bclk is 200. Then I change it to 133 to test the memory by 2 MHz increments. What if I can't get the bclk back up to 200 while increasing the DRAM voltage? By that rationale my VTT would be higher than necessary.

There is a much greater bennefit from overclocking your CPU compared to your memory. If you cannot reach your bclock goal due to your memories limitations, I would suggest running the memory slower in order to enable you to push the bclock/CPU up higher ;)

For instance, if you had DDR3-1866 memory, and you were trying to get the memory to run at DDR3-2000 (corrosponding to a bclock goal of 200MHz), then I would drop the multiplier down to have the memory run at DDR3-1600 instead. To compensate, you could attempt to tighten up the memory timings....which is often easier to do then pushing up the speed.

My guide does cover this concept :thup:

I do not have an IOH or ICH core voltage.

I do have 7 voltages that are not listed in the article though:

1. PCH Core
2. CPU PLL
3. DRAM Termination
4. Ch-A Data VRef
5. Ch-A Address VRef
6. Ch-B Data VRef
7. Ch-B Address VRef

Should any of these be considered?

None of those are important except for possibly #3.
Do you have a voltage listed in the BIOS called "DRAM voltage"?
If so, then #3 is not important...if you do, then treat #3 as the "DRAM voltage" ;)

graphics core voltage?

Ive i3 530 @2.93

Ive managed to get it to 4.00GHz with 182 BClk by changing QPI, Graphics and RAM Frequencies accodringly. Sometimes my screen just freezes with a solid color and I have to restart it in order to get to Windows again. Anyway, I want to boost Intel Graphics HD 3000 performance, it's default clock is 733MHz, since Ive changed BClk to 182, to be on the safe side it is 500MHz. I wonder, how much should I increase graphics core voltage in order to get to 900Mhz with 182 BClk?

RAM

i have i7 930 with p6t motherboard and there is no memory multiplier option.what should i do with my ram??

Asus integrates the DRAM multiplier / BCLK : DRAM ratio into the DRAM Frequency option. So at a given BCLK the BIOS automatically configures and offers DRAM frequency options based on the available multipliers, for example x6, x8, x10, etc.

Back