• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Beast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corey107

I am going to make a new Gaming Rig soon and just wanted to know if i should make any changes, my price range is around $1200-$1300.

CPU: AMD FX 4 core 4.2Ghz with 12mb cache socket AM3+ $139.00

Cooler: coolermaster X6 $69.00

Case: NZXT Phantom full tower case no psu $179.50

PSU: coolermaster 700w Extreme power plus $69.00

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 4x DDR3 GLan SATA3 RAID USB3 1394 ATX $152.00

Video Card: Gainward GTX 560ti 2gb Phantom $281.00

Keyboard: Logitech g15 $64.00

Mouse: thermaltake black combat white 4000dpi gaming mouse $48.00

Memory: 8Gb corsair vengeance red(2x4Gb) $59.00

Headset: thermaltake eSports shock one gaming headset $84.00

HDD: seagate SATA3 1Tb 7200rpm 64mb cache $105.00

I know that the case has a heap of plastic on it but it is easy to cable manage. also should i overclock?

Cheers Guys

Corey Lucas

ok, well im going to say it before anyone else does.

what is the system going to be used for? just gaming?

just looking at what you have listed, that power supply is a bit crappy, i would sugest one from the corsair or from the list of Over clockers recomended ps here

I personaly have that case and it is a moster of a thing, but has heaps and i do mean HEAPS of room, with supurb cable managment.
have you looked at the new NZXT Switch case? it comes at about the same price (actualy cheeper in most cases) and has a bit better layout. :shrug: up to you either way.
i would also change out that cooler for something else. not alot of reviews to go off it at the moment, but if you want to spend around the same amount i would go for some thing like this or this if you want to save some cash.

i would also add a SSD as a boot drive but that adds a little more to your total.

as for asking if you should overclock... well this is Overclockers.com so your asking the wrong crowd :p

Agreed on the PSU, check the Overclockers.com "approved" units.
Agreed on the SSD as well. Even a Sata2 64GB or 90GB unit for OS and mainly used apps/games will be a huge upgrade.

Also, I'd go with a 2500K ($180 at microcenter), an Asrock Extrem3 gen3 board ($125 at MC) and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 ($30 everywhere). I'd also wait for IvyBridge launch, next week (might see a price drop in SB cpus).

For the memory, any Corsair or Gskill 2x4GB/1600MHz kit for $40/$45 will do.

Finally, the AMD 7870 Graphic card (+/- $300) is much better than the 560ti (as long as you don't need cuda cores). See comparison with 560ti:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=547

Last edited:
+1.

Intel, better cooler, better Psu, better gpu, should be able to get an ssd... manu has u covered.

what about

Corsair Force SATA3 Series 60GB 2.5 SSD
Cooler Master 700W Ultimate Power Supply
Thermaltake SpinQ-VT SpinQVT Universal CPU Cooler Fan

anything i missed?

its not just for gaming either, i will be networking and programming so i will get more memory as soon as i have it all sorted out.

i already have 2 intel systems and i am going for an amd system now, one has a core 2 duo 2.93 and the other has a core i3 3.06. they are my basic systems and only for high end gaming with the video cards, they both have gt 520's in them and can run skyrim on 30 frames on ultra settings and they are also for my server.

Last edited:
Dont bother with u mart go to pccasegear they have far cheeper prices and will courier the stuff to you for less than what your current list is.

Not to mention that that have a wider varity of parts to choose from ;)

Meh on those PSU's... they will be fine but I would prefer the Corsair 650TX v2 for the same price or less personally.

I like the cooler choice however.

I would also still say Intel as you are leaving performance on the table compared to AMD at this budget level.

i already have 2 intel systems and i am going for an amd system now, one has a core 2 duo 2.93 and the other has a core i3 3.06. they are my basic systems and only for high end gaming with the video cards, they both have gt 520's in them and can run skyrim on 30 frames on ultra settings and they are also for my server.

just because you have 2 intel systems already doesnt mean you should rule out intel again for you high end system. If anything it should be the other way round, for your high end system you should go intel and have AMD for you budget systems. The bulldozer setup aint brilliant and with a 2500k+ a z77/z68 (IB & PCIE 3 compatible z68 like the mobo i have) you will be futureproffing yourself for a while too. And as it was mentioned before if you wait a couple of weeks the SB chips will drop in price when IB comes out!

Intel pretty much smack amd about in the high end market. Fork out an extra 40-50 on the processor and mobo and youll have a rig that is a fair bit faster. Also the 2500k is a beast of an OCer.

^your money...
If you REALLY want to go the AMD way, grab (if you find one...) a Thuban (1090t/110t/960t) and an Asrock Extreme4 970.

EDIT: for the psu, make your pick http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708. For the cooler, it will depend on your CPU.
What resolution are you gaming at? Ultra with a gt520?!?

yeah, a gt520 is more powerful than it looks and it only cost $41. its boss for price. and the cpu is am3+

just because you have 2 intel systems already doesnt mean you should rule out intel again for you high end system. If anything it should be the other way round, for your high end system you should go intel and have AMD for you budget systems. The bulldozer setup aint brilliant and with a 2500k+ a z77/z68 (IB & PCIE 3 compatible z68 like the mobo i have) you will be futureproffing yourself for a while too. And as it was mentioned before if you wait a couple of weeks the SB chips will drop in price when IB comes out!

Intel pretty much smack amd about in the high end market. Fork out an extra 40-50 on the processor and mobo and youll have a rig that is a fair bit faster. Also the 2500k is a beast of an OCer.

send me a few configurations that are intel for around $1200 and for gaming, email them to me [email protected]. i might change my mind, i am already gong for a 7850 over my 560ti.

I picked up
ASROCK Extreem4 Z77 $79
i7-2600k $279

At Microcenter today for another build. I would go with the i5-2500k $179 and Asrock Extreem4 Z77 $79. Will blow away the amd build

send me a few configurations that are intel for around $1200 and for gaming, email them to me [email protected]. i might change my mind, i am already gong for a 7850 over my 560ti.

I will do mate ( just woke up will try and get on it a bit later.) I'm from the UK btw so im not sure where you yanks usually buy your gear? Give me a post back and let me know where the best place to buy online is? Cheers

Back