• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Apple going backwards on purpose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

First they go back to plastic phones and now ios7 looks like its right out of the 90's. It seems like while everyone else is going smaller, brighter, with better quality Apple is going backwards! No wonder Andriod is taking over the smartphone market, wow Apple... :shrug:

To be fair, The 5c is just the cheap version of the phone to hit a larger market. There is still a 5s that isn't plastic.

The few comments I've seen on facebook are negative. Then again, it's the people with strong negative opinions that tend to be the most vocal. My brother seemed to like the new OS, but I'm waiting to hear more opinions.

To be fair, The 5c is just the cheap version of the phone to hit a larger market. There is still a 5s that isn't plastic.

When a new iPhone comes out people sell their current iPhones to upgrade, and there are quite a lot of people waiting to buy those used iPhones. So, the 5C could be targeting that used market to make people buy a new, lower-end iPhone model instead of a used model from last gen that the "upgraders" are selling.

The few comments I've seen on facebook are negative. Then again, it's the people with strong negative opinions that tend to be the most vocal. My brother seemed to like the new OS, but I'm waiting to hear more opinions.

My brother really likes iOS 7 as well.

I don't think I could give up the freedom of an Android phone though...

I've been using it all day, and despite the obvious poorly chosen color pallette, the IOS7 is actually pretty nice. It is much slicker, and some of the finger gestures are more common sense. I like it, and will adjust to the colors. I guess.

From the reading I did before the iOS7 release, Apple went with a more.... "androidish" approach to iOS7. Perhaps they saw it's where things were headed. I have some friends who downloaded it on release and simply love the new look. I, on the other hand, do not think I could give up my Android experience.

I used to have an iphone 5. When I lost it I decided to give the competition a chance. I've been an apple dev for years now and really hadn't tried any recent version of android or winpho.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've learned over time that often I hate everything at first and that I have to give it time. Android felt very awkward to me. Some things you learn to do just because it's android. There is no logical progression. The google store is full of crap but I did eventually find the apps that I wanted to run. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. After a few months of using the S4 I sold it and decided to give windows phone 8 a try.

My next phone was the samsung ativ s. It has almost an identical body when compared to the S4 so I thought it would be a fair comparison. Unfortunately windows phone feels very young. I had a hard time finding the apps I needed because not many companies have decided whether they want to support M$ or not. There are a lot of core things that don't work make sense or don't exist. I think that it will be a contender... eventually.

Out of the three my personal choice is an iphone. I was disappointed to come to that conclusion. For as much criticism as apple gets I thought for sure I would find some features that I just couldn't do without with my other choices. I've been toying with the ios 7 beta throughout and although I have always felt as though it looks a little silly there are improvements with regards to functionality.

Last edited:
It's just that when Steve Jobs died their was no more pressure to be as hard working. There almost has to be an overbearing ruler for there to be the apple of the past decade.

I used to have an iphone 5. When I lost it I decided to give the competition a chance. I've been an apple dev for years now and really hadn't tried any recent version of android or winpho.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've learned over time that often I hate everything at first and that I have to give it time. Android felt very awkward to me. Some things you learn to do just because it's android. There is no logical progression. The google store is full of crap but I did eventually find the apps that I wanted to run. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. After a few months of using the S4 I sold it and decided to give windows phone 8 a try.

My next phone was the samsung ativ s. It has almost an identical body when compared to the S4 so I thought it would be a fair comparison. Unfortunately windows phone feels very young. I had a hard time finding the apps I needed because not many companies have decided whether they want to support M$ or not. There are a lot of core things that don't work make sense or don't exist. I think that it will be a contender... eventually.

Out of the three my personal choice is an iphone. I was disappointed to come to that conclusion. For as much criticism as apple gets I thought for sure I would find some features that I just couldn't do without with my other choices. I've been toying with the ios 7 beta throughout and although I have always felt as though it looks a little silly there are improvements with regards to functionality.
I really appreciate that post because I have been thinking of going Android instead of 5S but seems it may not be my best choice. Good to know, thanks.

After using io7 for a day I can say it does react faster and it seems typing is easier but there is some things that absolutely drive me nuts. The newstand for example takes up the whole screen so where before I could just touch the top of the screen to exit it now I have to hit the button a second time to exit. It also seems to eat battery like its nothing. I used to go all day without my phone dying but now it barely goes half the day without going red.

I do like that I can control my Sirius without unlocking the phone which is nice. I still want the choice to go back to the old style or stay with the new though...

The one thing I have to say about iOS 7

Still better than Windows 8.

But seriously, I have an iPhone 4S (gonna upgrade to 5S VERY shortly...) and I just upgraded it from a jailbroken 6.1 to 7 to test it out and I love it. Closing apps running in the background is quicker, the flat look is kind of cool but as soon as a jailbreak comes out im using my old theme I used to use. Overall very little has changed, the photos app got more Androidey...

I just installed it today on my iphone 5 and I like some of the new features (panoramic camera,double tap home button) but wtf are they doing with the look of it, I want my phone to look slick and classy, not like a kids you from Toys"R"us...... Bring back the black glass look and the old calendar and all is forgiven , until that happens I'm disappointed, if I wanted a android looking phone I would go out and get one.

If I were to buy a smartphone (I still have an old pantech) I would still heavily lean toward an iPhone for one reason: The OS.

Not only is the OS a tried and true system that works really well, it is also widely supported. Even if a device is technically superior to an apple and even cheaper, the apple device pays off when you are trying to find certain apps and programs.

I just got an iPhone 5 (no C, no S) for $99. I haven't put ios 7 on it yet because I'm so used to ios 6 from using my iPad.
It sounds odd but on ipad it looks 10x better than on my iphone. My wife just installed 7 on her ipad and for some reason it looks much more fit to it. I can't really explain why but it does so you might try installing it there first to try it out.

If I were to buy a smartphone (I still have an old pantech) I would still heavily lean toward an iPhone for one reason: The OS.

^ This. I learned the hard way that although the apple store isn't great as far as organization; out of the big 3 it has the most and the best apps. It's almost unheard of for a company to have an app in a competing os and not have one in the apple store. It's also been around for long enough that it has more polish in most places. An example is the notification swipe-down. Being able to access my notifications without leaving what I'm doing, going to the app that issued the notification if I choose to, and then switching back all without effort is something I took for granted.

I absolutely LOVE iOS 7, and android is an OS whereas iPhone is a phone. There will NEVER be a single phone with android that sells more than the iPhone. Never. There are over 600 million people with an iPhone. That's almost 1/7th of the world with Apples device. Android can't even touch the iPhone.

I absolutely LOVE iOS 7, and android is an OS whereas iPhone is a phone. There will NEVER be a single phone with android that sells more than the iPhone. Never. There are over 600 million people with an iPhone. That's almost 1/7th of the world with Apples device. Android can't even touch the iPhone.

Android is an OS, as iOS is an OS. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is a phone, the Apple iPhone 5S is a phone.... No need to bring personal bios into this, it's not an argument about which is better. I personally favor quality android based phones due to their "open" nature, that's my opinion, and in such I have owned several iPhones previously which have been fast replaced by android phones due to the better experience I have with them. For you it may be the exact opposite.

Just now getting around to updating, what I've seen visually hasn't pleased me yet from other devices I've seen but we'll see. I almost hate to admit how much I like my 4s as I've never been a big fan of Apple products but in this regard my usual dislikes are actually a plus or not applicable. After using an older android phone I switched to the $s and find the OS much better (though I was on 2.2 I think, just bought my daughter a tablet with 4.1 and it is vastly improved) but most of all I find the apps to be much more polished, though this comes at also being larger in file size as well. Also the norm of apple controlling all hardware and software becomes a plus to me in this instance, I though it would be cool having android and being able to mess with it and then I realized I didn't care on my phone. And the non applicable dislike is price, iPhones are pretty much the same price as their competition (at least for contract price) which is usually the biggest turn off for me, thats why my daughter got a Galaxy Tab 3 and not an iPad mini.

Edit: Updated, other than the visual I like it. I liked the "glass" look much better and now there is also way to much white for my taste.

Last edited:
Back