• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how old do you let a PSU get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

upgrading my rig to from what's in my sig to a extreme6, 4790k, GTX780 and 8gb of ram. i'm planning on reusing the old power supply and wonder how old is to old?

i measured the following.

no load
12.22v
4.97v
3.36v

under (ati tool and prime95 small FFT)
12.22v
4.98v
3.37v

OCCT load
12.218v
4.98v
3.37v

Last edited:
I figure 5 years is good use on any PSU. Got an 850 watter here about that old, still outputs 12v like it should. Antec ftw.

cool, let's hope it can handle the challenge, the only problem i've had with it is the bearing on the bottom fan got loud then went away (still works).

Thanks.

if i do upgrade it will likely be with corsair 850watt -1000watt.

Length of the warranty, if it's a good brand PSU it almost certainly won't wear out before then.
Once you pass that point, give the primary capacitor(s) and the secondary capacitors a look through the fan grill and exhaust grill. If the tops are flat and there isn't goo leaking out the bottom you're good to go.
If they're bulging or leaking, it's new PSU time.

My FSP 500 W from 2008 is doing well. It's clean like a whistle inside. ;) :D

I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a while more.

It's been powering 65 nm Core 2s since late September, 2008 and the usage picked up in 2012 and 2013, with me Skyping my buddy and 3dsMax'ing.

my rule of thumb is new PC new PSU and but I pass down my old rigs so the old PSU stays till it goes

Now the real question is 42 what. Just a slight difference between 42 seconds and 42 years. Just a small one. :D

I'll let my current supply live through it's warranty at least. Newegg page puts it at halfway through a 5 year warranty. That's if Toshiba is honoring the pre-buyout OCZ stuff.

Either way I'm nowhere near it's rated 1250w load. Hopefully that means I'm not straining it so I don't have to test if they are or not.

Now the real question is 42 what. Just a slight difference between 42 seconds and 42 years. Just a small one. :D

I'll let my current supply live through it's warranty at least. Newegg page puts it at halfway through a 5 year warranty. That's if Toshiba is honoring the pre-buyout OCZ stuff.

Either way I'm nowhere near it's rated 1250w load. Hopefully that means I'm not straining it so I don't have to test if they are or not.

42 picoseconds if you're trying to power a city with it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've had a Corsair 850 watt go through 3 different builds now. Still purring along!! keep it dusted off every 3 months or so, definitely will prolong its life.

Just wondering if anyone here has had a corsair fail after the 5 year warranty because I'm going to the end of the road with this one, it runs great.
Don't change a thing. Even with knowing what a couple of people's PSUs did in a forum doesn't mean yours is going to crap out/live 10 years. It could be tomorrow, it could be another 5 years. Take solace in reviews that actually test the things properly (not newegg reviews!), and that tell you there are quality components inside. While that isn't a great barometer either, it sure beats the anecdotal responses that one can receive here in a forum. :thup:

Corsair hasn't been making PSUs for all that long.
I have a dead CX here, swollen OST 5VSB cap. That's a 3 year warranty though, and a PSU from ~2009-2010.

Back