• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with a Corsair AX760I

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReaperGN

Registered
I am currently building a new system and for what ever reason my AX760I wont power it up to the point of hitting the BIOS. All that happens is the fans turn on, the various mother board lights flash and a clicking comes from the power supply. I have tried in the case, outside the case, one stick of ram, the other stick of ram, disconnecting all but the two power cables etc. Now strangely I can take it and plug it into my old setup and it works perfectly. Been powering it for a couple days without skipping a beat even while running hard. On top of that the cheap Dynex power supply from my old setup works just fine with the new one. I really don't want to leave things the way they are. The 450w Dynex just doesn't have enough power for what I plan to install in my new setup and running a 8 year old pc on a 200 dollar power supply is a bit of a waste. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs on both systems

New(Currently running off of 450 Dynex)

Case - Corsair 600T
Motherboard - MSI A88X-G45
CPU - AMD A10-7850K
RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (4x2) DDR3 2400
HDD1 - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB
Disc Drive - Plextor PX-891SAW
Fans - 2x120mm, 2x200mm
CPU Cooler - Corsair H80I

Old(Currently running off of Corsair AX760I)

Case - NZXT Nemesis Elite
Motherboard - MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum
CPU - AMD FX-57
RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR 400
HDD1 - WD 650GB Black
HDD2 - WD 650GB Black
GPU - Diamond Radeon HD 3870 oc edition
Fans - 3x120mm

maybe a pin (one from the 24 or 8 pin connectors) is messed up on the AX and it doesn't have a good connection with the new mobo. did you try and jiggle the 24pin when connected with new mobo? Maybe a visual inspection inside the connector ?

It is possible that the issue is in the 8 pin. My old setup only uses half of it so in the new one it could throw a fit. Will check that shortly.

Also try pulling all RAM and see if it will give you a beep code(speaker needs to be plugged in)

After inspecting all the pins on the cable, psu, and board nothing looks out of the ordinary. And I believe the missing pin is standard on Corsair units and more than likely someone has paired MSI and Corsiar before. I don't know if it matters but with nothing other than the 24 pin plugged into the psu and that being left unplugged from the board the self test does not work. It just clicks. No lights of any kind. But if I remove one half of the 24 pin it will show a green light and spin the fan. Does not mater which half.

As to the speaker I do not have one to plug in. 90% of the time when I try to power up the A88X with the AX760I all I get is a quick flash and a click. Every once in a while it glitches up and will power the fans but all the lights flash and the psu clicks repeatedly. Only way to stop it is to hit the switch on the psu. So I don't know if I could even get far enough along to get a error code to fire.

Oh this may sound silly, but I did this myself. I went from an older intel 775 based system that used 4 pin power to an AMD 990fx mobo that used an 8 pin power. I was trying to use the 6+2 pin instead of the 8 pin (my PSU doesn't have an 8 pin before you guys facepalm me lol), and the symptoms were almost exactly as you described. I used a 4 pin which works fine.

Food for thought ?

It is possible that the issue is in the 8 pin. My old setup only uses half of it so in the new one it could throw a fit. Will check that shortly.

Oh this may sound silly, but I did this myself. I went from an older intel 775 based system that used 4 pin power to an AMD 990fx mobo that used an 8 pin power. I was trying to use the 6+2 pin instead of the 8 pin (my PSU doesn't have an 8 pin before you guys facepalm me lol), and the symptoms were almost exactly as you described. I used a 4 pin which works fine.

Food for thought ?
:thup:

What I have been using for the 8 pin connector is labeled for the cpu and split at one end in a 4x4 configuration. And while the all black cables look nice I don't have an easy way to tell if it was wired wrong from the factory.

Try a different socket for the 8 pin CPU line on the PSU itself, maybe an issue with one of them?

I have tried 3-4 of the 8 pin headers on the psu. But when I get home I will look for that second cable. I might even have a few from a old Ultra psu that could work if Corsair didn't change the pin shapes like they did on the 24 pin.

Also thanks for all the help.

Do not, under any circumstances, use a cable that did not come with that specific PSU.
At best it won't work.
At worst, fire.

I found the other cable and got the same results and as much fun as it would be to see the AX760I go up in flames I didn't mess with the other cables. Its looking like I will have to go through the RMA process.

Update:

I got a second AX760I from newegg and its doing the exact same thing. And my new setup has been running perfectly on the old Dynex unit 24/7 since I started the RMA. After talking with Corsair for the second time they feel its a compatibility issue of some sort with my motherboard. There is a possibility that it may get swapped out with a different model. I am thinking of skipping the RM and standard AX lines and going with the HX series. They are supposed to be made by different manufactures and hopefully different enough that I don't have the same issue again. If any one knows of a reason why I shouldn't ask for a HX and should just try to get my money back please let me know.

Back