• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezes During Idle time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

On my previous build that I had issues with so RMA'd parts, I was having random lockups during idle periods. No prime95ing or anything. Just when the computer would go idle, especially when I set the blank screen saver to come on. I RMA'd RAM MOBO and CPU because I couldnt dwindle it down to which was having the issue. (The RMA wasnt for just that issue though - long story)

Since, I've gotten new RAM CPU and MOBO in - I will first off say I have not re installed windows. They were all the same exact parts just new. I did have the newer BIOS on previous board though, kept it on previous from that this time as i read that bios has issues. I go to school today, I even remote in from school via logmein. Works fine. I get home today, screen is black so i think okay screensaver is on, wiggle mouse. Nothing, hit numlock - numlock light is froze on, i jump on logmein. It shows my rig as offline. So now im like FUUUUUUUUUUUU. I reboot the rig via the reset button, log back into windows - check my event logs and it showed the system had been hard reset at 350(the time i got home from school and hit the reset button).

So now im confused as hell..

PC Prime95s for hours fine, ran memtest86+ overnight like 10 passes no errors.

The only thing I can think of is Bad OS install and or my SSD is locking up on me. SSD has most recent firmware. I've turned OFF all power saving settings via windows power management. BIOS im pretty sure everything power related is on NOT save power. I did have my SSD on the jmicron controller, which i've heard jmicron sata controllers r junk? I moved it over to my ports 1-6 which are on raid, surprising it raised my wei hdd score from 7.1 to 7.2..so now im letting the pc idle for a while with screen saver on and monitor sleep to see what i get.

Any ideas team?

tl;dr computer runs fine under heavy load for long periods of time, but freezes when idle.

thanks!

i used to have this problem on vista now and again drove me nuts it ended up just being driver issues with the os and my hardware and went away after a service pack update.are you on win7 or older os?

i used to have this problem on vista now and again drove me nuts it ended up just being driver issues with the os and my hardware and went away after a service pack update.are you on win7 or older os?

Jazon, I've since this post moved it from the JMICRON Sata controller to my AMD RAID controller (even though it's not in raid) and so far so good. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Thanks for the info none the less!!!

Back