• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea i figured that wasnt the real picture, i emailed him asking the stepping. there is a 7 day warrenty, so if it doesnt meet my expectations (unlocked) i can send it back for auction price. i hope it's unlocked :(

If its true that these are locked it sucks @SS, but at least we have the 11 multi. I like it at 220-230 x 11.

With this latest AMD development, there's a lot of hysteria posts, and it's hard to find what I was looking for...

does anyone know what happened when someone tried to select a certain multiplier (say 12) using that wire in socket method, rather than trying the unlock and setting 12x in the bios? (http://www.oc-inside.de/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html)

has anyone confirmed that even when they set a default multiplier of 12 using the wire trick that the computer still does not boot, or still uses 11x?

to be quite clear: I do not mean unlocking multipliers below 12.5, then setting 12x in the bios.

^wargod: yes, you can still change the FSB, so it's not that big a deal for nForce 2 owners, unless they are going for more than 2.4Ghz... (11x220=2420...)

oh, man i was afraid i couldnt lol, i guess i might just order from newegg tonight and pray that i get an unlocked one, if not it wont be AS big a deal, ty!

Locked means you can't change the multiplier, like you couldn't with Athlon XP Palomino's.

If you have PC2700 RAM, the default is 166, overclockable to average 180, 190 FSB, depending on brand.

If you have PC3200 RAM, the default is 200, that's 11 x 200 = 2200
If you can overclock PC3200 to 209 FSB, you get 11 x 209 = 2299

For 2.4 GHz, you'll need RAM that can do 219 FSB and that's not average.

shiyan,
It simply resets to 11 x multi when you try to boot with or without a wire trick (pin mod, etc.)

L1 bridge is cut in my opinion, we can't see it is and the only way to tell is to get someone to put a multimeter on the L1 bridge showing that there is no connection, proving that it was cut, disabling the multi change even with a wire trick.

EDIT: However, for people that are willing to sacrifice running in sync, option 2 is still:

jjyiz28 said:
use ratios to run your ram is spd speed, and run the fsb higher. running in async is not catatrophic. ie) i'd rather run 200fsb/166mem rather than 166fsb/166mem. but i'd rather run 166fsb/166mem than 166fsb/200mem.

Last edited:
thanks for that confirmation!

if the L1 bridges are indeed cut, I wonder how hard it would be to scrape open the top layer, and connect the L1 with conductive fluid...

I can't look at my 2400+, which has the same packaging as the Bartons, as I'm at home...

yea im buying the new OCZ plat 3500 :) when it got out that AMD was locking chips i thought this ruined everything, but since i can still change FSB it's not that bad, hell if i can get it to run at 220 fsb i'll be very happy ^_^

Bobby said:
Just got the 2 Bartons from Newegg and they're both AQXEA 0331. Looks like Newegg is still shipping week 31 cpu's (unlocked). I'll be building them tomorrow and I'll let you know if they're locked.

-Bobby

i like the sound of that. i ordered one last night in hopes of getting an unlocked one before its too late. *fingers crossed*

although i plan on getting some uber ram so i can run it at 215-220 anyways, so i should get a good overclock anyway

Oh, I should've mentioned that they were shipped from CA, not NJ. Most of my order was from NJ though.

-Bobby

i just got a barton 2500+. i only know what i've read in the last two days about steppings. mine is AQZEA 0332. anyone else have this one? so this is the 32nd week? my motherboard is in the mail, but i tried the chip with an Asus A7N8X-X in the store. i couldn't get low multipliers to work, but i tried 9.5-12 and they all worked. so this is definitely an unlocked cpu, right? is there any possibility it might not work with my Shuttle AN35N-Ultra?

No there isn't. People are overreacting by thinking that chances are huge they'll get a locked Barton. It'll be at least a couple of months before we see a lot of locked Bartons.

I'm getting a set of that OCZ 3500 512 Dual Channel Platinum Edition ram ... thems BH5 chips in there ... :drool: ... very tight.

And my 2500 is on the way to me now ... AQZEA 0332 (same as yours) have had some very good O/C results (search google)!

FWIW the AQXEA that I got from newegg a couple of days ago does 200x11.5 without skipping a beat, sweet. I haven't tried higher, but I will soon. All this on an A7V600.

Last edited:
felinusz said:
(just like those idiots who use intel have to :p)

Idiot? Nice, very nice:mad:

AMD is locking them because this summer someone was remarking them after locking them at a higher multi and then reselling them. Same reason intel started locking them too back in the late 90's. Some one was buying the 233 chips and remarking them as 266 and 300MHz chips. I mean they did it too alot of them. Supposedly this summer resellers where getting whole shipments in with some of the CPUs being remarked.

Back