• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any proof.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakeman

has anyone done benchmarks and seen any performance improvements with WinME over Win98sec??

Which OS does everyone around here recommend?

If my games arent good enough for 2k, they arent good enough for me :D

I prefer 98SE over ME for no other reason than ME just appears to be a little more bloated version of 98. I have never actually installed ME, didnt have a need.

Bakeman said:
The entire population does not recomend a single OS. I would recomend Windows 2000 Professional.

Bakeman said:

For benchmarking...

W2K Pro for AMD's

XP/2K3 for Intel

Gaming...

XP

In all reallity...ME was a rushed OS that was never fully complete...it is a beta XP version that they rushed to make full and failed...98se is faster and more reliable then ME ever thought of being...

ME is garbage, 98SE is pretty weak by today's standards. I'd say 2kpro or XP pro. The system in your sig can handle it, so why not.

XP Pro is by far my favorite, I honestly can not remember the last time I had a crash. And chances are if it did crash is was because I tweaked a little to much :D. Games also play great on XP Pro. It is bloated somewhat, but there are several articles on the web and here on the forums about tweaking or removing unneeded items.

I actually liked ME, but it took a lot of tweaking. At the time my system ran faster with ME over 98se.

IMO, Windows ME is one of the worst OSes ever. I much prefer 98SE. However, the NT-series OSes (NT, 2000, XP) are technically superior and far more stable. What games didn't paly as well under Windows 2000, and what did they doi worse, exactly? (XP might be a little better on the gaming fron than 2000 as well).

Just so everybody knows, the thread was posted 08-08-01, 02:56 PM ;)

...now, where's my Thread Necromancy picture? :D
JigPu

Bahahah 3.5 year old thread. This has to be a record for a bumped thread.

lmao i was wondering why the first few posts were mostly 2k... was wondering where the xp love was!

btw XP has my vote in the year 2k5 :)

I had Me came on my PC. Let me just say windows did no stop making that OS for nothing. it screwed up so much I just left the install cd in the drive. Really though the only thing it was good for was to learn, how to fix stuff.

zip22 said:
hahaha, what did prompt you to bring this back up Ascii2?
Perhaps curiosity. Some may have said a kind word about Windows Milenium Edition (I wouldn't however).

Also regarding gaming on a Windows 2000 family operating system (unless using more than two CPus, Windows 2000 Professional would be the best choice for gaming), at least Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 should be installed to fix many bugs; Windows 2000 unpatched would not run all games well and is greatly buggy (however not as buggy as Windows XP unpatched).

Back in the day I had no big issues with Windows 2000. Patched or unpatched it ran just fine, and this is coming from a hardcore gamer at the time. Yes the patches did help in the long run and why wouldn't you use them but it was a great OS at the time considering Win98SE crashed consistantly, and don't get me started on ME.

ME is not an XP beta - ME is a 98SE with win2k Icons..... cause home user had nothing when windows 2000 came out so they trew out winME with all it's memory leaking glory!

i would go with 98SE ANY day over me!

Also, why mention XP or 2k - he specifically said 98SE or ME.

Back