• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting Up The Perfect DFI NF4/SLI System!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
trueplaya4ever8 said:
I thought the powerstreams were native 24pin??

I would love to check right now, but I am not home :(. I know that I have to use an adapter to make it work on my s754... so I think it is native 20pin, and I have to use the adapter for 24 pin.

dreIU said:
Great post/information!

I am a bit concerned with my PSU, though. I have an OCZ powerstream 520w, and I think (last time I checked) I need to run the adapter from 20-24 pin. From my understanding, Angry_Games (@ dfi street) reccomended runnig a natural 24 pin PSU. Does that mean that I have to buy another PSU (I just bought this one a month or two ago :( ), or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

Well, that's AG's recommendation, but I still think that the OCZ will be more than sufficient to run a s939/PCIe system. I can tell you this much: I will be using my 520W on my upcoming DFI, and I don't expect to even think about replacing it until I move on to SLI.

deception``

deception`` said:
Well, that's AG's recommendation, but I still think that the OCZ will be more than sufficient to run a s939/PCIe system. I can tell you this much: I will be using my 520W on my upcoming DFI, and I don't expect to even think about replacing it until I move on to SLI.

deception``

That's reassuring :) Are you not concerned at all about it not being native 24pin?

dreIU said:
That's reassuring :) Are you not concerned at all about it not being native 24pin?

Not really. The OCZ was built like that to make it compatible with some server designs. So it's not really a "disadvantage" of the power supply as it is a compatibility issue. Besides, one can only imagine that the majority of reviews (whether they be from sites or people over at XS) and benchmarks for these DFI boards will be running the very popular 520W unit. So if there were any problems, we'd know well in advance.

deception``

deception`` said:
Not really. The OCZ was built like that to make it compatible with some server designs. So it's not really a "disadvantage" of the power supply as it is a compatibility issue. Besides, one can only imagine that the majority of reviews (whether they be from sites or people over at XS) and benchmarks for these DFI boards will be running the very popular 520W unit. So if there were any problems, we'd know well in advance.

deception``

That's very true. I am glad we can stick with it, this PSU wasnt exactly cheap :).

trueplaya4ever8 said:
you guys are using the 24-20 pin adapter right? wouldnt that make it native 24pin?

My apologies. I have just confirmed that the OCZ is NATIVELY A 24 PIN POWER SUPPLY. So no worries here, dreIU. :thup:

powerstream_002.JPG

CoolTechZone said:
OCZ's PowerStream power supplies come pre-installed with a 24-pin motherboard connector, which is why the 24-pin to 20-pin converter is included.

More comments on the OCZ being server-ready (EPS 12V):

Directron said:
What is EPS12V? EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. EPS12V equipment is not compatible with standard ATX or ATX12V PCs found in homes and offices. Power supplies built to the EPS12V standard include a 24-pin motherboard power connector and an 8-pin +12V connector. (Source: Antec)

deception``

Last edited:
deception`` said:
My apologies. I have just confirmed that the OCZ is NATIVELY A 24 PIN POWER SUPPLY. So no worries here, dreIU. :thup:

deception``

AHHH!! :D so it is 24 to 20 and not the other way around :) Thanks for the clarification.

dreIU said:
AHHH!! :D so it is 24 to 20 and not the other way around :) Thanks for the clarification.

It's a modular configuration on the 20/24pin setup. You can run it as a 20 or a 24pin native. It doesn't use a adapter like most but allows you to slide off the extra 4 pins if not needed. Very smart design really.

Jeff

Edit: I take it from the pics only the Powerstream 600 is modular not the 520.

A few observations:-

-You may need to explain in brief the benifits of strained Si to prempt any questions posed by members unfamiliar with this technology.

-When you mention the heat-proximity issue, what are the options available to alleviate this problem?

-A pic of the PSU adapter would prempt a lot of questions. :)

Excellent work.

This needs to be stuck!

I'm afraid a Mod might ask you to move it to the DFI Motherboard section. (Less visibility :( )

Super Nade said:
A few observations:-

-You may need to explain in brief the benifits of strained Si to prempt any questions posed by members unfamiliar with this technology.

Sure, will do.

-When you mention the heat-proximity issue, what are the options available to alleviate this problem?

For the most part, the power leakage issues are due to the infancy of the 90nm design as a whole. However, AMD has recieved help from the likes of IBM (who also works on the Mac processors) and the more mature second generation chips should fix this.

-A pic of the PSU adapter would prempt a lot of questions. :)

Here you are:

manual.jpg

One quick question. I bought an Ultra X-Connect 20pin ATX PSU. Will this sufficiently handle the load brought on by a NF4 Ultra board? I hadn't anticipated the move from 20 to 24 pins when I bought this.

dreIU said:
I saw that pic @ newegg, deception``, and it appears to me that it is a 20 to 24, no? I'm gettomg confused here :-/

Other way around. Remember, all OCZ power supplies are natively BTX-compatible, and BTX uses the 24 pin standard. Trust me when I say that you're in good hands with your Powerstream.

deception``

Tytanium said:
One quick question. I bought an Ultra X-Connect 20pin ATX PSU. Will this sufficiently handle the load brought on by a NF4 Ultra board? I hadn't anticipated the move from 20 to 24 pins when I bought this.

It's not a big issue; there are adapters that can be used in the event of an upgrade. Anyhow, I haven't heard anything terribly negative about the Ultra X power supplies, but I am not quite sure of how well it will hold up on a SLI system. But if you're only looking at the Non-SLI Ultra, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

deception``

deception`` said:
Other way around. Remember, all OCZ power supplies are natively BTX-compatible, and BTX uses the 24 pin standard. Trust me when I say that you're in good hands with your Powerstream.

deception``

Great :thup: :D It is a little foolish of me not to know this since I installed it not too long ago. It's interesting to see the move to 24pin motherboards (and it's alos interesting that I wont have to buy an new PSU :D ).

Well gents (and any ladies out there), I'm going to hit the sack, but I will be monitoring this thread constantly over the next several days. So please feel free to post and thought s or questions, and I will address them quickly. And in case anyone is wondering, I'm probably looking at the low-latency config I had listed, but I'd really like to get my hands on some PC4800 G. Skill (DDR600 @ 2.5-4-4-8!). We'll just have to wait and see. But I'm sure that my initial build plans will change several times between now and when the purchase actually takes place. Anyhow, please share your opinions and we'll continue this tomorrow.

deception``

Back