• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC's Phenom Review and Techinical info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
he has to install drivers and os guy's plus he might be eating or out to eat.

Yea know RL

Now AC get back to your job............................

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_phenom_preview/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_phenom_preview/page9.asp

Of course, given AMD’s current track record when it comes to launches you obviously should take all this with a grain of salt. Today’s Phenom “launch” is clearly a paper launch designed to appeal to the financial community. In actuality AMD doesn’t even have enough parts available to seed the press with samples. That’s about as bad a sign as it gets when it comes to availability: if we can’t get our hands on CPUs, it’s doubtful that the general public will be able too either. We’re also not aware of a single Tier One system vendor that will be shipping Phenom PCs on launch day.

In our opinion, today’s Phenom “launch” should have been pushed back until AMD was actually closer to delivering Phenom processors in volume. Flying a bunch of press to Tahoe so they can run benchmarks for a few hours isn’t enough to justify this launch. AMD’s current Phenom prices are a bit out of line with reality as well: Intel’s Core 2 Q6600 officially lists for $266 in quantities of 1,000 CPUs. That’s $17 less than the Phenom 9600, and the Core 2 Q6600 is clearly the faster CPU overall.

The star of today’s show is AMD’s 790FX chipset, which by all indications is a tremendous product with lots of potential. 790FX should have had the spotlight to itself today.

Instead everyone will probably be buzzing about Phenom’s disappointing showing in benchmarks. As far as we can tell AMD’s woes with Phenom aren’t manufacturing-related either. In other words, the CPU isn’t scaling because of an issue dealing with manufacturing (i.e. leakage, poor yields, etc) rather it’s the basic design of the CPU itself. The architecture just doesn’t seem to scale well to speeds of 3.0GHz and beyond. AMD needs to get this issue figured out, and they need a fix ASAP. If they don’t figure something out soon, they’ll never get their margins up and they’ll continue to lose money each quarter. Meanwhile Intel is basically toying with AMD, they could release faster Yorkfield and Kentsfield processors today if they wanted, but as long as they continue to dominate in performance, they simply haven’t felt the need to do anything.

This is the exact same position AMD was in roughly two years ago – boy how quickly things have changed

Last edited:
Speaking of Mobos, mine is still in South Carolina or heading to Atlanta or Tallahassee. If it arrives at either destination before midnight then I may have it tomorrow :santa:

This is like sitting and watching the skies for :santa:. It did head for Atlanta tonight. I have to hand it to New Egg for packing the board up Sunday and shipping Monday morning and to UPS for moving both packages through so fast though one did float around the LA area all day monday but it still beats 2 weeks I waited for my first PC in 1978! We actually called them PCBs as Printed Circuit Boards because you had to solder them together. It was my first personal computer. Here we are about 29 years later and I'm getting one Bad AS5 system, a big step from that little 3Mhz 8 bit RCA chip and 256 bytes of RAM.

For anyone else getting a Phenom. post up your results here too but please keep in on Phonom builds and not Athlons.

1978 geezzeez I fell young now :D

lol you said 29 yr's

I fell great LOL

i think any results here should be for Phenom + DFI, or at least Phenom + 790/770 based boards (oh, and the dfi is for sale, retail, on that link i posted) in fact AC, should that gigabyte not perform, will you switch to the almight king of AMD overclocking that is DFI?

AC, what OS? HD's? would like to see if they improved raid performance on the SB600

Last edited:
Some pics posted.
1978 geezzeez I fell young now :D

lol you said 29 yr's

I fell great LOL

Wait did you just call me a geezer! :mad: j/k
Yea, it's hard to believe it's been 29 years and it keeps going faster each year.

i think any results here should be for Phenom + DFI, or at least Phenom + 790/770 based boards (oh, and the dfi is for sale, retail, on that link i posted) in fact AC, should that gigabyte not perform, will you switch to the almight king of AMD overclocking that is DFI?

AC, what OS? HD's? would like to see if they improved raid performance on the SB600

I may consider that DFI, really like the board but did not expect to see if for a few months :drool:.

I've got two drives for a simple raid but I'm not sure if I want to tie up two spindles. I'll think on it.

I'm in too, AC - hope you have great luck OC'ing that puppy!
I'm also very interesting in seeing if it supports the "new" AMD tuner, multiple settings for the cores.

My first computer wasn't quite as old as yours - I was married and too poor back then. But I did manage a Vic 20 by '83-4 (i think). With 23 years of computing (not counting WAT V on punch cards in '81) I guess that makes me an Old Geezer too ... ;)

LMAO, Geezer Geeks!

Good to see others getting into Phenom early, we'll be the guinea pigs I guess followed by the mad rush. I have to wait for tomorrow on the board, stayed overnight in Atlanta. 81 I was writing COBOL, punch cards :eek: looked at the VIC 20 but I had just bought a truck and was broke then. I did get the C64 which was atoy compared the Amiga in 87 that I had until 91. From there with PCs it was one upgrade every 5 years until not it's 6 every months. While this is a little off thread, it's worth mentioning for background for what we started with. Back in the day we would have to add "CPU Boards" to add more processor. Ram was shared through a 1-8mhz bus and shared between two processord through a phantom controller. You had some ram on the CPU board directly connnected to the CPU much as todays L1 cache. Cache was not necessary on the early machines as ram ran 1:1 with the CPU core until DRAM came around. That was fun but these quads just blow all that away!

Subscribed. At least with AC at the helm we can get a good, fair view of how the phenom does. All these reviews are flipflopping

Thanks, I like to keep postings on OCF as close to the truth as possible. Yes it hurts right now with all the anticipation of these quads but it's the only way for us to make better decisions. It's costing me a little more (estimated about 50 bucks) than a Intel based rig but I just like what this platform offers. I still have an eye out for next years Intels to go along with my AMD stock not replace. I worked with intel products since 1980s which I found to be great products that I enjoyed working with. I still keep up to date and will stay as honest with info I share. I do have a beef with Intels policy which biases my decision but not posting (except for a little competition once in a while :burn:).

"Money talks, BS Walks!".

Back