• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top 5 Best Games of 2000 - 08

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stouticus

Registered
I'm going to be putting together my first gaming rig. In doing so I'd also like to prepare myself for the best gaming experience possible. So I'm coming to you to ask, what are your personal Top 5 favorite games since the turn of the new millennium.

Rules:
When stating the game, try to give a brief description as to why you liked it.

Games I'm already considering:
- Orange Box
- COD4
- Orange Box :clap:
- Not WoW
- UT3

It came out back in 2002 and probably isn't what you had in mind, but I'll list one of my favorites anyway: Heroes of Might and Magic IV. In brief, it's a great strategy game with endless hero customization, fun combat, and plenty of scenarios to keep you busy for quite a long time.

I decided I'd post a top 5 myself...
- Team Fortress 2
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Warcraft 3 (Dota)
- Fable
- Bioshock

Battlefield 2 - The best multiplayer FPS ever made, it took everything good about the previous titles and added tons of extra stuff including [for the first time in the series] a good control system. With a game this great I can forgive any number of bugs.

COD 4 - No innovation whatsoever, but an incredibly polished shooter with a half belivable storyline.

GTA IV - Little innovation from the previous titles, but an incredibly polished and immersive action game. ;)

CnC Red Alert 2 - My favourite strategy game ever, delightfully silly units and sounds, smooth arcady gameplay and first really satisfying nukes in a strategy game.

Morrowind - It had almost everything good from a MMORPG, but none of the bad. Oblivion was better in many ways, but this was somehow more satisfying overall.

1. CoD4 - Best FPS ever.....period.....no contest
2. CoD4 - Trash talking to all the noobs
3. CoD4 - Airstrike!
4. CoD4 - Weapon and perk combinations
5. WoW - The gameplay is awesome imo. How much you like it depends on the quality of the guild you are in, imo.

0. System Shock 2 (dated gfx now, excellent story/gameplay however)
1. Bioshock...one of the best games I've played in some time.
2. Half-Life 2 series...I actually liked the "expansions" more than HL2
3. Unreal Tourney 3 (I liked UT2004 better, but UT3 is the new thing)
4. GTA:VC
5. Company of Heros

I'm quite sure I'm forgetting several titles, but those are the first that come to mind off of the top of my head.

1. Portal
2. Portal
3. Portal
4. Portal
5. Team Fortress 2

I'm pretty sure I could live with just those games for the rest of my natural life.

I'd say the games I've played and enjoyed the most since 2000 are:

Half-Life 2 and Ep. 1 and 2
Team Fortress 2
Battlefield 2
Portal
Civilization 4

So in summary, buy the Orange Box! :thup:

1. Portal
2. Portal
3. Portal
4. Portal
5. Team Fortress 2

I'm pretty sure I could live with just those games for the rest of my natural life.

ill bet u 5 dollars you wont do it...

1. battlefield 2
2. KOTOR - oh the plot twist
3. Bioshock... just wow
4. diablo 2
5. Deus EX

1. UT2004
2. WoW (good guild does make the a difference)
3. UT2003
4. America's Army (can't really stand the game now but was in the beta when it first came out and had fun, Pipeline!)
5. SWG's before CU (sad but true)

I don't claim these games are far far better than others I have played in the last 8 years, because I have a horrible memory for this sort of thing, but these games occurred to me after 15 seconds of pondering.

KOTOR, the first
Civilization IV
RTCW and spinoff RTCW:ET
Call of Duty, the first

(edit to add COD)

RTCW (absolute best game and most hilarious I ever played)
Quake3 (still played even now)
UT04
COD1

I don't have a 5th. Hate WoW, lost many clanmates to that POS. Hated COD2 at the engine level, COD4 isn't there yet. Crysis, while it would have been 5th, bombed like no other due to bad coding for MP.

OOh lets see...

1) HL2 Sereies (Including Portal)
2) Diablo 2 + LOD
3) Oblivion
4) EVE - Online
5) Tough one but, its between X3 and Sins of a Solar Empire

1. Counter Strike
  2. Half Life 2 Series (Including Portal)
  3. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
  4. WoW
  5. Diablo II
In order regarding the amount of time I have spent playing each game. Which roughly translates to how much I enjoyed them.

Last edited:
KOTOR - I just love the dark/light aspect, also loved Jedi Knight series but KoToR captured the real magic of Star Wars somehow
Call of Duty - played the demo so many times I lost count, got it the day it came out and the same with all the sequels...best FPS franchise ever!
Diablo II - SOJ! Blood golum necromancer was my weapon of choice
Deus Ex - also played the demo a TON before picking up the full game
WoW - I'm off the habit but it's the deepest & most addictive game I've played, but I made the mistake of trying to find out how far the rabbit hole goes...only to realized the game is more about letting you hit rock bottom ala Fight Club.

I'm going to be putting together my first gaming rig. In doing so I'd also like to prepare myself for the best gaming experience possible. So I'm coming to you to ask, what are your personal Top 5 favorite games since the turn of the new millennium.

Rules:
When stating the game, try to give a brief description as to why you liked it.

Games I'm already considering:
- Orange Box
- COD4
- Orange Box :clap:
- Not WoW
- UT3

PC games SUCK compared to pre-2000. Today's games are built around graphics, that's it.

The days of Half Life, Thief, Fallout, Monkey Island/Fandango, Hero's/Police/Space/Quest are all over. So the only way you will ever be able to experience the best gaming in your life is to play those games.

Oh, in my infinite wisdom I almost forgot to mention the ONE exception: Lord of the Rings Online.

Back