• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats with BF3 not supporting DX9?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Original1993

Registered
im not gonna have a problem with it, since i have Win7 and a DX10 card,

but im wondering, whats with that? xbox 360 does DX9, and cannot render DX10, so whats with the PC version being forced on DX10?

i know its a random question, im just confused xD

What is there to be confused about? I'm sorry that console gamers are stuck with DX9 until one of the console makers decides to release a new cash cow, but why should PC gaming be stuck with it as well?

Its called Progress and not a port..?! :)

i really hope your right, tbh ive had enough of crappy conslole ports, i dont mind console ports,, just really bad ones are annoying, DS2 is a great port

if this is being built for PC first, then i cant wait to see it, but tbh, it wont suprise me if they lied and its just a crap console port (crytek much?)

but im wondering, whats with that? xbox 360 does DX9, and cannot render DX10, so whats with the PC version being forced on DX10?

Judging by the videos of the PC version, I don't think you'd want to try running the game with a non-DX10 card even if it did support it. It's been a while since I programmed, but I would think having to field support questions for both DX9 & DX10 problems could be too much.

Progress. It's been over 4 years since DX 10 was released and almost all hardware available since then is compatible with at least DX10. If you haven't upgraded to a DX10 capable card then you probably couldn't play it anyways (not well at least) and if your a die hard hold out on XP well I don't feel bad for you personally.

I think its DX11 only also..

Edit: http://www.epcgaming.com/smf/index.php?topic=17030.0

DX11 and optimized for Windows 7 64 bit.. This is the way games should be made :)

XP is well past its service life, DX9c is the last revision it was given. It really doesn't make sense for developers to make games for it anymore from here on in...

Last edited:
The console port... what's the word... flood, yeah that's a good word for it. the console port flood has been both a blessing and a curse for us.

For 2 years, the longest I've ever been content with a piece of hardware, I have used a single GTX 260. I upgraded to a second GTX 260 because ONE game caused a bit of a slow down, and that was battlefield: bad company 2. The game is pretty, but not pretty enough to justify a slowdown. BF3, being based on DX10 is a good thing, if I started making a game right now, I'd program it on DX10... because it's out, most hardware even at the low end of the "gaming pc" spectrum can run it... and by the time such a game hit market (several years later) it would be likely portable to console.

It just makes sense to move on to an easier to use API. If you've ever tried to understand DX9 or DX10, DX10 is a step in the right direction, though still confusion as hell compared to OPENGL, but OGL sort of got it's last nail in the coffin when Carmack switched sides and stopped evangelizing OGL.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

That article is proof positive and likely has a causual relationship with linux probably never becoming a mainstream desktop environment. People are stuck on DX, people are gonna use DX, and even carmack, the MAN when it comes to OGL, is switching to DX. Oh well, move on, move upward.

Last edited:

Should be noted that BF3 is going to be made for PC primarily then ported to console. BF3 is actually supposed to have both reduced graphics and a smaller campaign for ps3 and 360 than the PC version according to an interview with the makers, I'll see if I can dig up the video from youtube again :)

Dx9 is the past. The less DX9 games there are, the more DX11 games there will be. haha

But what improvements there are over dx9 in dx10 or 11? I do understand it is better to use same api.

But what improvements there are over dx9 in dx10 or 11? I do understand it is better to use same api.

DX10 had superior shading capabilities over DX9 then of course DX11 introduced Tesselation. Basically DX11 is bringing a whole new level of "depth" to gaming, a look that lets you feel the world is a little more "tangible".

DX10 had superior shading capabilities over DX9 then of course DX11 introduced Tesselation. Basically DX11 is bringing a whole new level of "depth" to gaming, a look that lets you feel the world is a little more "tangible".

But those are just graphical improvements that require more power especially tessalation.

Isn't there like improvements that allow performance increase while mainting or improving visual quality?

Back