• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Rad and Pump Now?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Modz 4 Higher

Well as of today, I passed my Swiftech MCR320 Drive Rev 3, that I bought 3 weeks ago to a buddy on here. I wanted a standalone unit that has a res I fa see the fluid in and all of that other jazz. He is going to put it to a better use than I was and is perfect for what he is trying to do. By now you are wondering, what the hell I am talking about. Lol Well I don't want to spoil the surprise. He will post a build log on here for everybody to see:D

Okay so all I have left is my tubing, apogee hd and stealth GPU block. So, I am in the market for a res, pump and maybe 2 rads.(1 for sure)

I am going to eventually WC my chipset(EVGA p67 FTW) and maybe the RAM, because it looks badass and I can.

So with that said, what pump would I need. My old setup obviously had a MCP35x on it. Would you guys suggest I go back with this pump or is there another option you guys would suggest that would support my needs?

Rad I was thinking of either 2xMCR320-QP or 1 RX360?? Opinions? Fans I currently have are medium speed Yates. Not even sure if they can handle an rx360? Nnevermind, that rad is only 8fpi so yea it can handle them.

Res? I have no idea. Lol

What type of res are looking for? Are looking for an bay res or an internal res?

I have not seen any MCR320-QP rad reviews, but you check out Matin's RX360 review here.

Now, for the pumps. Stay with the MCP35X. You probably want to check out Swiftech's MCP35X2. Also, Swiftech is coming out with an heatsink compatible for that particular MCP35X2 setup.

I for sure know I dont need two mcp35x's. One will be more than enough for what I want to do. And there are mcr320 rads tests all over the place. Martins and Skinnee Labs. That's not what I am looking for. I have read all the round ups. Just asking what you guys think would be enough. :D

So with that said, what pump would I need. My old setup obviously had a MCP35x on it. Would you guys suggest I go back with this pump or is there another option you guys would suggest that would support my needs?

How tight are you for space? As far as I'm concerned the MCP655 is the gold standard. You put one in your loop and you never worry about pumps again. Plus it has all sorts of cool mod kits you can get to trick it out. The double-655 top from Bitspower is my favorite if you like going overboard.

Rad I was thinking of either 2xMCR320-QP or 1 RX360?? Opinions?

Take a look at skinnee's radiator roundup. There is very little performance difference between most 3x120mm radiators, at least at reasonable fan speeds (the outlier in that roundup is actually a 140mm radiator). So I'd say go for the MCR320's since they're cheaper.

Res? I have no idea. Lol

After running two bay reservoirs for a couple years, I have to recommend against them -- they're annoying to fill, and since the hose connections are just 5mm below the water level, every time you bump your computer it sucks air into the pumps. Bitspower makes good stuff; I'd recommend something like their Z-multi inline series.

RX360 is more than enough to handle your cooling needs.

Also, on the safe side. It would be best have two mcp35x's, just in case one fails.

I for sure know I dont need two mcp35x's. One will be more than enough for what I want to do. And there are mcr320 rads tests all over the place. Martins and Skinnee Labs. That's not what I am looking for. I have read all the round ups. Just asking what you guys think would be enough. :D

I don't know about "enough", but you simply cannot have too many radiators. Use as many radiators as you have budget and space.

But of course you probably knew I'd say that :)

How tight are you for space? As far as I'm concerned the MCP655 is the gold standard. You put one in your loop and you never worry about pumps again. Plus it has all sorts of cool mod kits you can get to trick it out. The double-655 top from Bitspower is my favorite if you like going overboard.

Take a look at skinnee's radiator roundup. There is very little performance difference between most 3x120mm radiators, at least at reasonable fan speeds (the outlier in that roundup is actually a 140mm radiator). So I'd say go for the MCR320's since they're cheaper.

After running two bay reservoirs for a couple years, I have to recommend against them -- they're annoying to fill, and since the hose connections are just 5mm below the water level, every time you bump your computer it sucks air into the pumps. Bitspower makes good stuff; I'd recommend something like their Z-multi inline series.

To answer your first question, space is no issue. For perspective I can fit a 360 up to, 240 at the bottom, 240 in the front and a 140 in the back all INSIDE OF THE CASE:D so if you are wondering I have the Xigmatek Elysium Server case:)

I think I agree with you tho about the 2 rads. Because, before I sold my 1 mcr320, I was already going to add another mcr320 because my GPU made my temps go up more than I liked. So, let's go ahead and add that to the list.

Rad: 2xMCR320-QP
Pump:???
Res:???

Going to do some more reading on pumps for now. And res I guess all comes down to personal preference. But NO I do not want a dual or single bay reservoir. Have never liked them. So it's between the MCP-655 and the MCP-35x.

Well if you can using the Xigmatek Elysium case, you can use a 120.4 rad.

Still keep using the mcp35x pump(s). Its worth the investment.

I personally like the bay res. But its up to you if you want to use an internal res or bay res.

If you want to try out the mcp655 pumps. Try out the Koolance MCP655-S pumps. But you are going to need an pump controller for those pumps. They hit up to 24 volts.

I may just go back with the mcp35x because I know it's the best. I want an internal res for sure. Still undecided on the res tho, whether I want it on top of my pump or a tube running to it. You're right I could run a 120.4. Hmmmmmm I think I'll just stick with 2x 120.3 for now.

Have the res be on top of the pumps in series. Something similar to what I posted or the EK DDC dual pump tops. Take a look at the EK, BitPowers, and StealthRes internal reservoirs.

I believe he means something like this EK res/pump top.

I personally am not much of a fan. Far be it from me to complain about warranty breakage, but honestly the pump lasts so long, you'll be through 2-4 systems before you'll need another, and who knows what configuration you'll be asking of the pump for those systems...I prefer the separate reservoirs, ones that I can exchange later on.
Besides, the pump top on the 35x is already top notch, so there's no need to seek another.

There's only 3 basic rules that I follow to select one:
a. it's large enough to prime my system without multiple refills (pita).
b. no metal parts (barbs not included). There used to be some with aluminum caps.
c. all fittings below the water line, so the system doesn't drain out when I open the res. Computer's don't sweat...skip the bath. ;)

Last edited:
If you have a MCP 355 aka DDC 3.2 etc, I think you can get a 35X top for it. It's more the top redesign for better pumpage actually.

Just a thought to think about everyone.

True true. I have a modified replacement top myself, and it performs stellar on my old 10 watt pump.

I guess to make my point, my pump is salvaged from the old original Corsair external system, I bought the pump from a member in the classifieds some 4-5 years ago, and it's still faithfully chugging along. You never know how long you'll be using yours.

Last edited:
Yes that is the MAIN difference between the two, aside from the 35x having PWM control:)

Diggr, that is what I was talking about, BUT what I am wanting is a cylndrical res that can be mounted a flat surface(ie: mobo tray, back panel) that has about a 6-8" piece of tube running to the top. I like that pump for its top as-is:D:D

So I guess what I have so far is, 2x MCR320-QP, 1x MCP-35x, 3xYate Loon med or high?(probably high) and res is still undecided.

Are the Yate Loon 120 x 38mm D1SL-12D(41 cfm)($6.99ea) good fans or should i stick with the 120 x 25mm D12SH-12(88cfm)($3.85ea)

Also, what is it mean by frame style? Open corner? Closed corner?

Why are the "Direct from Yate Loon" more expensive?

Last edited:
Then the Bitspower res' are for you. They also have red tinted ones if that's in your color scheme...or you can wrap the clear one in colored acetate film for any color you want.

No idea on the fans. Never had a Yate. I tend to buy the $20 fans. ;)

Last edited:
Back