• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitors vs 1 Big Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

I jumped down from my 32" Sony 1080p LCD TV as a monitor. I sit roughly 24 inches away from my screen maybe less. I swear I slowed down on gaming while I had that LCD , possibly eye fatigue from sitting that close? I jumped up to a 39" LED that was sexy in games, but usual web browsing looked horrid due to it being a westinghouse, text was ugly on screen contrast ratio was wack and colors were either over saturated or washed out. So - I moved down to two 25" hp 25bw IPS monitors. Picture is gorgeous, response time is 7ms GTG but I dont notice any input lag. I play mostly MMOs. Though i think i am having woes of missing my big monitor. Though I think I'm trying to convince myself that these two smaller monitors are better on my eyes this close.

Am I full of it?? What's better in your opinion(s). 1 big monitor thats good quality or two smaller monitors at amazing quality?

isn't the choice 1 or 3? i play FPS mainly, and I don't think FPS are ideal with just 2. you want a screen in the middle and one on each side.

those huge monitors are nice for watching TV from a distance... but most of them lack either response time, contrast ratio, or something; unless you paid $8000 for it and it's branded Sony.

three 23" - 25" standing tall, portrait setup, is what i'd go for. with smaller monitors you get 1080p, good refresh times/contrast/and all that stuff; they're relatively cheap. the community might need to chime in with their thoughts of if your video card can power three monitors at 1080p. a second 6950 would be nice. you'll also need a nifty monitor stand.

I sit close to a 25" for gaming and don't have any issues. Maybe it's the response time or refresh time on the crappy large monitors that is affecting you.

I eventually want to add a third one in the middle. Unfortunately they don't rotate though to run them that way. I've thought of going down to 3 23" those do rotate. Price wise 2x25 = 3x23. I dont play much FPS. Some left 4 dead here and there. My pc is sitting in a built in bookshelf so space is limited.

Last edited:
I like high pixel density + color reproduction. So, I would choose 27" 2560x1440 or 30" 2560x1600 IPS monitors. I'm using a 24" 1920x1200 U2410 since the previously mentioned options were way out of my price range at the time (those sub-$400 27" 2560x1440 IPS screens didn't exist...).

Out of the options in your post, I would definitely choose the 25" IPS monitor. The are the smallest screensize given the 1080p out of your options (highest pixel density), and it's IPS for good color reproduction.

The closer you will sit from your screen, the more pixel density you will need ( read higher resolution ). With your 39inch screen you are at 1920x1080 and this is why reading become an issue cause 1920x1080 on 39inch is'nt dense enough to provide good quality for reading. Plus, this is a kinda cheap screen.

Matt is right, 2560x1440 27inch IPS are a great choice for big enough screen and very good quality. You can find these on Ebay at ~350$ or ~400$ for a "perfect pixel" (no dead pixel waranty).

Other than that, i prefer surround/eyefinity, as i told first ;) I run 3 27inch 1920x1080 and i really like the setup.

I did some deep research on those cat leap ips monitors. I've returned my two 25s and I'm gonna get one of the 27 catleaps!

Back