• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning out my future loop...advice please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All other variables the same, the percentage difference in thickness will be the percentage of performance hit you take.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. If you look at stuff like the MCR320 vs other thicker rads, I think you'll find that a double thick rad is really only worth a little bit of extra performance...~30% for doubling of thickness, if memory serves.

So I'm looking to cool ~470W which is going to put me at 2 radiators, screaming Scythes, or looking into a more efficeint radiator. That's with a DT of 10.

Not really. You can do 470W on 120.3 of rad at ~1400RPM, which is pretty slow. http://skinneelabs.com/2011-2012-radiator-comparison/3/

Also, that's at full loading of both CPU and GPU, which is a pretty fringe case unless you're folding or something. This means that you can probably lop off a few degrees on that and either get a better dT at the same volume or the same dT with less noise.

Not really. You can do 470W on 120.3 of rad at ~1400RPM, which is pretty slow. http://skinneelabs.com/2011-2012-radiator-comparison/3/

Also, that's at full loading of both CPU and GPU, which is a pretty fringe case unless you're folding or something. This means that you can probably lop off a few degrees on that and either get a better dT at the same volume or the same dT with less noise.

You're right. Sorry I had so many tabs open looking at all different combos that things began to blur together. Thanks for the help!

And no, I won't be folding at home or mining crypto. Goal is for a quiet gaming rig playing heavily modded games.

That is very nice site there
It should be added to the stickys

:thup:

You're right. Sorry I had so many tabs open looking at all different combos that things began to blur together. Thanks for the help!

And no, I won't be folding at home or mining crypto. Goal is for a quiet gaming rig playing heavily modded games.

Yea, a solid config would be a full set of AP15's, if you can find them. They undervolt nicely.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. If you look at stuff like the MCR320 vs other thicker rads, I think you'll find that a double thick rad is really only worth a little bit of extra performance...~30% for doubling of thickness, if memory serves.

I'm saying for the same FPI, manufacturer, design, everything.

I can't find the RX360 available anywhere at the moment, but the AX360 seems to be able to handle the same load around the same RPM as the RX model. I'll keep watch on it though. Do you guys recommend the dual pump D5 or would I be OK running a single? Obviously saving the extra $160 would be ideal, but I do like the thought of a fail safe in case of pump failure. Would the extra flow drop my temps significantly?

Flow doesn't significantly affect temps above a certain point. A single D5 would probably be more than sufficient. Have you looked at the DDC series of pumps?

Flow doesn't significantly affect temps above a certain point. A single D5 would probably be more than sufficient. Have you looked at the DDC series of pumps?

No I haven't, and tbh, I don't know what the difference is. I know people are fairly pleased with the D5 pumps. I just liked the convenience of an all in one kit like XSPC provides, especially with the pump mounted right to the reservoir. The cleaner the package, the better. I'm also a huge fan of being able to see the res level from the front. I'm open to suggestions on other kits or pieces I can put together myself though!

Whats your budget?
That plays the biggest role
XSPC has one of the best bang for your buck kits
But going all custom you get to chose what you like
The fans in the xspc kits are ok but others do better and there are better rads out there for alittle more money
I was going to do like you and get a xspc kit but after some help from here and checking reviews I found for alittle more money I could build one that would perform very well and be my own

Whats your budget?
That plays the biggest role
XSPC has one of the best bang for your buck kits
But going all custom you get to chose what you like
The fans in the xspc kits are ok but others do better and there are better rads out there for alittle more money
I was going to do like you and get a xspc kit but after some help from here and checking reviews I found for alittle more money I could build one that would perform very well and be my own

I'd like to stay well below the $500 range, without GPU block, but with everything to at least cool the CPU such as fittings, tubes, etc, and get either the XSPC or piece together something very close to it. I won't cheap out on components that matter like the pump or rad, but I don't want to be spending $50 more for a 2 degree improvement if I'm well within limits. I won't be cooling anything other than the CPU and GPU, so I won't need to really have the biggest, beefiest, system that can cool a 4 way Crossfire lol.

D5 as compared to DDC:
Better max flow
Worse head
Quieter
Less susceptible to improvement by upgrading the pump top

DDCs can have significantly better head and similar flow to a D5 with a pump top, but they are a bit louder. Still quiet to my ears, but I've been to so many concerts and done so much shooting that my ears really aren't much to go by.

Look at the Aphacool kits
Their 240mm kit is 250 and you can buy a second 240mm UT60 rad and two fittings and be under 500 and have a good stuff as the rads and fans are some of the best for low to medum rpms
Martinlab's tests show the rads really good along with getting NB E loop fans in the kit and Martin ranks them second best fans to the GT's

I am at $600 for my WC build not counting the case I upgraded to just for WC
I have a Alphacool Monsta 80mm 480mm rad, monsoon fittings, primochill LRT tubing, Koolance 380A cpu block, NB E loop 2400rpm fans, xspc photon 170 res w/ D5 var pump
This is for my cpu only I know way overkill I am going to add a Alphacool UT 60 480mm rad for my crossfire gpu's next
As you can see anything is possible its just what do you want out of it and how quiet do you need it

I am at $600 for my WC build not counting the case I upgraded to just for WC
I have a Alphacool Monsta 80mm 480mm rad, monsoon fittings, primochill LRT tubing, Koolance 380A cpu block, NB E loop 2400rpm fans, xspc photon 170 res w/ D5 var pump
This is for my cpu only I know way overkill I am going to add a Alphacool UT 60 480mm rad for my crossfire gpu's next
As you can see anything is possible its just what do you want out of it and how quiet do you need it

I'm looking at right under $600 to cool the CPU and GPU, which doesn't seem to be too bad, assuming the XSPC AX360 is beefy enough. I might custom the whole thing though since I'm seeing the Alphacool UT 60 outperforming the AX360. If only hobbies were cheaper :-/

Yes this hobby is not cheap my latest build by the time the dust settles will have cost me about $1000. That's not including anything but cooling and fans. What can I say it keeps me out of trouble. ;)

Yes this hobby is not cheap my latest build by the time the dust settles will have cost me about $1000. That's not including anything but cooling and fans. What can I say it keeps me out of trouble. ;)

I just ordered a fan controller and some fan extension cables in anticipation for the WC setup I want to run. Going to make the lower priced purchases now and the big purchase later down the road when I save up enough cash :)

BTW thanks to everyone for the help in this thread, you guys rock!

Back