• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro is dead in my machine, but not others

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maven

My 9800pro seems to not want to work in my computer. I was installing a game, left the room for a bit, came back and it was on a black screen. It wasent a screen saver or anything like that. I rebooted the computer and everything powers up, even the fan on the card but nothing happens. Wouldnt go through start up, wouldnt even post, just a black screen.

Ive tried the card in another computer and fires up no problem. Ive tried a different video card (Geforce 3 ti200) in my computer and it works fine. I thought it might be a powersource problem because my PS is a junk brand and i have a pretty hefty hs/fan on my gpu. So I went out and bought a real nice 460w one, no luck. (did make my computer a lot less noisy tho :) )

This happend about 2 hours after I installed 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 and reinstalled windows. Would that have an effect on the vid card perhaps?

Anyways, heres my specs

AMD Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S
1gb DDR 400 ram
2 80gb SATA 7200rpm Segate Barracudas in RAID 0

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year! :bday:

This just happened to my little brother. I bought him a 9600 XT for Christmas and recently installed it. Worked fine for about an hour and then the screen went black. Would boot after that but nothing would show on the screen. Unfortunately I don't have a solution to your problem because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I knew it worked in my computer though so I gave him my motherboard so he could use the vidcard. Really weird though. Hope someone knows what's up. I'd like to know too.

I had the exact same problem with a 9600XT that I installed in my little brother's computer. It worked perfectly and then all of a sudden when he rebooted all of the fans would come on but the computer didn't POST. It worked in my computer as well, so I'd be interested to find out why it's doing that as well.

We tried flashing the BIOS on the motherboard, but the BIOS was corrupted and ended up killing the motherboard..... stupid Winflash :mad:

[edit]

Hey!!!! No posting at the same time as me....... go figure, we're twins and we end up posting at the same time..... if that isn't weird I don't know what is. :eh?:

Mr.Guvernment said:
take out all hardware except video / ram / cpu and try to boot then.

Actually tried that, unplugged everything except the essentials. No go :-/

Back