• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do people use large amounts of RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

I never fully understood this, but was thinking about it again after reading this:

X64 Windows 7 Home Basic can only deal with a maximum of 8 GB of RAM. I don’t know if any of you remember this, but the same was the case with Windows Vista Home Basic. However, Microsoft has increased the maximum RAM supported by x64 Windows 7 Home Premium. If for Vista, Home Premium was stuck at 16 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium can go as high as 192 GB.

How do people use 192gb of RAM? I mean physically are there special mobo's or something? I only ever see 2gb sticks and heard of 4gb sticks. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I assume people are using it since it keeps getting mentioned?

The reality is that you're never gonna use that much on a home PC. Thats for servers supporting companies.

That much could also be for a really nice editing or renderbox. I know my wife's machine. When she lets me on it. I can chew up a lot of RAM pretty fast.

512KiB SIMMs FTW :)

SIMM.. Them be them new fangled board things. Analog logic fer teh win. :beer:

As fickle as my opening is. I tried very hard to take up 10Gigs of RAM on my wife's machine. I worked for it.
It took a lot of HD video content editing to peak that much. It was a single user editing. Wish I was into rendering CAD... I could test her machine/

Isn't creating maps in games basically creating CAD layer (maps.) Then rendering it all out? If I am correct, I can see it slurping up a huge amount of RAM. Since each layer has it's own spot in the RAW file.

Zbrush.

For me my current 4GB is fine, but I can see if they were doing some really high qualtiy asset they would need more.

Regarding huge amounts of ram, Renderfarms! = P

Back