• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EQ1 going free to play soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
http://techland.time.com/2012/01/31/13-years-later-everquest-finally-going-free-to-play-in-march/

The great-granddaddy of 3D massively multiplayer online roleplaying games won’t cost a thing to play for the first time in its 13-year history come March 2012 — so sayeth the folks at Sony Online Entertainment.

“After listening to your feedback and suggestions over the past few years, I’m happy to announce that in early March 2012, EverQuest will be going free-to-play,” writes EverQuest producer Thom Terrazas. “We’re excited to be expanding the EverQuest experience by making the game more accessible to every type of player so that you can choose to play the game in a way that suits you best.”

(MORE: The Used Games Debate: Kingdoms of Amalur Locks Up Content)

But wait, didn’t EverQuest already go free-to-play? You’re thinking of EverQuest II, which did indeed tap the free-to-play model back in 2010 via “EverQuest II Extended” (EverQuest II itself went free-to-play in December 2011). But EverQuest trundled along with its unknown (presumably shrinking) player base, asking players to pay just shy of $15 monthly since the subscription rates last went up in 2005.

I haven’t played EverQuest since 1999, six or seven months after it launched, but at the time it was something to behold, run through a pair of 3dfx Voodoo 2′s in SLI (Scan-Line Interleave) mode. I remember killing giant bees outside a city with trees the size of redwoods (a tree city with elevators you’d ride up to trade loot and skill train, if I’m remembering the leveling system correctly). I also remember doing that ad nauseam for a month until I bounced — the original 3D grind!

If you’ve never tried EverQuest but want to see what the hullabaloo was about (long, long ago, anyway), Terrazas says you’ll be able to download the client in March and calls it “Free to Play, Your Way,” meaning it’ll support several ways to engage, including the old $15 monthly rate, which’ll offer access to…he doesn’t specify, but it probably involves punching through level caps and/or having access to special areas, features or other content. The freebie version will limit character creation options, the number of characters you can have at once and how much money you can plug into the in-game bank. You can throw $5 one-time at the game and bump those restrictions a bit.

EverQuest celebrates its thirteenth anniversary on March 16, so alongside the free-to-play launch, Terrazas says to expect new events and items, a renovated everquest.com website and upgraded EQPlayers pages, and an updated in-game map that’ll show level content for your character and help you locate zones with less trouble. For the full feature list, check out Terrazas’ EQPlayers note.

Not quite 100% free but glorified demo with limits. I may have to dust off my old account. The last time I played was 3 years ago when I got free 1 week but after being away for a few years before that, the whole world had changed a lot it's like this comic: http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20080523

Free to Play*

Notice the asterisk I used. It's because there's a huge market for Free to Play/Play to Win type of games. LOTR Online is the best example of this....which TRIPLED it's revenue.

Being around for 13 years now...I am surprised it's just doing it now. On top of being surprised that it still has a healthy following. Unless it doesnt...and they feel this is how they can still squeeze some more cash out of it.

I say option 2 there steve.. i couldn't imagine their playerbase being beyond a few thousand accounts.. and those likely dating back 13 years OR being accounts held by Sony employees, which they get for free :p

i wonder if my old account is on there, played for about a year or so on a pentium 166 w/mmx and a voodoo 3000.

long ago now

lol that's an old computer. So you must have been very early EQ player. I started EQ just after LoY expansion and my rig was AMD K6-2 500MHz and I think a 32MB Radeon card.

You probably still have characters if they were all level 10+ as Sony purged a few times all level 1-9 that were on inactive accounts.

I wonder if EQ is easier to level up now than before? I remember grinding hours killing mobs after mobs just to level up as quests were few and far apart.

Im still playing EQ, in one of the top raiding guilds http://www.fuworldorder.net/ I actually do the web updates for the guild as well. i'm known as Iszack monk main and Issham shaman alt.
It's actually going to lower the price of the game in a way, cause for $15 you get the full access like I do now but also 500 Station cash a month which is like $5. So in essence it's going down to $10for game +$5 for 500 station cash.

On 1 hand it's gona be fun for me, I'll make a small army of box just so I can do the old raids, since My monk and sham duo so much LOL. it's gona be fun.

EQ actually has more account and ppl playing then EQ2 does. Alot of people have left WOW and other games and have come back. The player base is actually slowly creeping up wards now.

The only sad thing is EQ on the mac is being shut down. There are quite a few ppl on there that still play EQ on the mac. The mac server stopped at Planes of power expansion which is like 10 expansion old compared to the normal servers. it's gona be a sad day for EQ mac, but since useing windows what ever on the mac can play normal EQ maybe they will transition to the free or $5 month. I think sony will give them free server x-fer to the normal servers, but im not totally sure yet. lets just hope.

If my old account can do the free thing, time to dust off the Fungi Tunic and make a Monk from scratch just for kicks!

Had 2 second highest stat Wizard on the server at one point (PoP). Started to tail off playing after the next expansion.

Some good gaming times back then!

Yes, some good time. There were things in this game that has not been matched by any other MMORPG. Starting with the huge world. With most other MMORPG, you could easily explore everywhere in just a few hours (310% flight form, license to fly everywhere, etc). With EQ, you'd need days! Corpse run was also fun before they added guild lobby and corpse summons. I have not seen anything like MGB party on EQ . I actualy like Vex Thal because it's so long it keeps people on their toes. Overall EQ was far more challenging than most modern MMORPG.

Edit: I forgot: /yell TRAIN to MPG!! Other MMORPG have mobs that leashes which makes running away from bad pull too easy.

My brother was on EQ a couple years before I was and he was one of the many who were on the serverwide first (and first organized attempt before mass banning) Sleeper kill. You can't do multiple rez and zerg in WoW at all!!!

PS I hope any of the revamped old world zones didn't get butchered like the short lived Nektulos 2.0 (play-doh graphic, no newbie log, etc)

lol that's an old computer. So you must have been very early EQ player. I started EQ just after LoY expansion and my rig was AMD K6-2 500MHz and I think a 32MB Radeon card.

You probably still have characters if they were all level 10+ as Sony purged a few times all level 1-9 that were on inactive accounts.

I wonder if EQ is easier to level up now than before? I remember grinding hours killing mobs after mobs just to level up as quests were few and far apart.

well if going by that then i stiall have a barbarian warrior wearing a bears had weilding a huge sword, the leg chopper

I dusted off my 70 wizard to see what it was like.

Wow, talk about a stroll down memory lane!

Gaming sure has come a long way. Still need to type when interacting with NPCs! A little clunky by todays standards, but it was coming back in a few hours.

If you use your old account, you get Silver for free (less restrictive). I had more plat on me than the FTP cap already, and none of my items were usable because I had good augments in them (just need to strip the aug off and put in a bag, but took a while to figure that out).

There is still people playing since I left, ran into someone I knew right away almost! The people on Xeg were very friendly and receptive to the newcomers, lots offering help or to give people gear that was rotting on NPCs.

Going to try it out I think for a bit, just to see if I can remember how to quad kite in the Plane of Fire again!

yea EQ F2P is live and there is bonus xp for the rest of the month along with the 13th anniversary.

Awesome. Thank you. Hmm.. I was on the old progression server. I wonder if it is still up or can I transfer off of it. lol

I played a bit this weekend, honestly it took a good 2 days to catch up, but things are fairly smooth right now.

I was level 70 when I quit and I think the only real limitation I see right now is bag space (I need to figure out what all the crap I had was for lol) in the FTP model. I got a level and a half and there are tons of useable upgrades etc around.

If I get to level 90 and NEED that extra content, I don't mind paying at that point for something I am using full time. But the FTP will let me try it for a long time before that to find out.

All in all, having fun.

Great people on Xegony I have found so far, very helpful and welcoming.

This seems pretty similar to what Aion did. Company went free-to-play but the restrictions are just so massive... can't even use the auction house without being a "premium" member.

This seems pretty similar to what Aion did. Company went free-to-play but the restrictions are just so massive... can't even use the auction house without being a "premium" member.

That is one of the most destructive traits of the NEW "F2P" scams. If the game is going to have an auction house every single damn player(over the lvl cap if you use one) better be able to access it. Any less is practically extortion. I considered playing DC universe F2P since someone gave me a copy of the game for PS3 but you cant even trade items between players if your F2P!!!

IDK I like seeing top tier grade games supporting the idea of F2P but I think that they are really gold digging. I understand they need to make money but if your going to offer F2P, it shouldnt be engineered to make you lothe the P2P players for small stuff.

I agree, everyone should be able to use the aution house. I don't mind a limit on the number of auctions you can post but you should be able to buy something.

So, what server is everyone on?

That is one of the most destructive traits of the NEW "F2P" scams. If the game is going to have an auction house every single damn player(over the lvl cap if you use one) better be able to access it. Any less is practically extortion. I considered playing DC universe F2P since someone gave me a copy of the game for PS3 but you cant even trade items between players if your F2P!!!

IDK I like seeing top tier grade games supporting the idea of F2P but I think that they are really gold digging. I understand they need to make money but if your going to offer F2P, it shouldnt be engineered to make you lothe the P2P players for small stuff.

I'm glad to see someone who see's it this way. When I went to their forums everyone seemed to be defending it as a way of keeping bots from ruining the economy... Meanwhile in the major cities there are bots spamming "BUY GOLD HERE (insert obscure website)".

Back