• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

War Z alpha starts tonight or tomorrow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well I have a pioneer package i preordered. Anyone playing it when it's released I believe tonight "tomorrow". I guess starting in alpha its only 75 players to a server with only 30% of the map open. Then beta comes oct 31st with all of the map and 250 players per server.

Can't wait to play.

At a time where people regularly complain about paying a few bucks for DLC, more for expansion packs and justifying the 50/60 dollar price tag of most retail games.....we are willing to pay for the chance to play an ALPHA of a game from an non-reputable developer with no history until 2 months ago and no screenshots/footage of the game until about 1 month ago. All with the hope that the game leaves alpha, leaves beta and has sustainable support and players afterwards.

Am the only gamer that is confused/suspicious about WarZ around here?

I'm a little confused, if you pay the 49.99$ price, is that just for alpha, or do you own the game?

You own it.

And Steve I heard about this game months ago! It's been in development for a long time, I've seen gameplay footage and it looks great.

You own it.

And Steve I heard about this game months ago! It's been in development for a long time, I've seen gameplay footage and it looks great.

Right. Except it only came up because of the popularity of DayZ. And even after it was announced, initially there was nothing but handful of screenshots and zero gameplay. For a game that was to be fully released by the end of the year? :rolleyes:

Well color me optimistic then, DayZ is great but it can be very confusing.

While im not looking for something thats "dumbed down", I am looking for something thats a bit more appealing to friends

I'm on the skeptic side of this one... It looks way too much like that other game (I think it is War Inc).

I think I'll wait until it's been proven real.

Well color me optimistic then, DayZ is great but it can be very confusing.

While im not looking for something thats "dumbed down", I am looking for something thats a bit more appealing to friends

Agreed. DayZ has a steep learning curve, especially with regard to the inventory. The creator likely didn't expect the game to be such a hit. Especially since ARMA2 was far from being one. He was likely testing the waters with the limitations of the ARMA2 engine. The mod's popularity is leading to a standalone of course, which is great. And despite the glitches and learning curve, there is still a large community of players. Newcomers are still showing up.

I'm on the skeptic side of this one... It looks way too much like that other game (I think it is War Inc).

I think I'll wait until it's been proven real.

The devs have said it uses the same engine.

This video (granted, now a month old) sums up a lot of my suspicion.

Last edited:
rofl relax it's made from the people who made War Inc. Maybe not the greatest game but not some nobodies....

The game is made of that same engine.

Btw where are you getting your paying for a alpha? It's paying for the game pre release for a cheaper price and getting to play early. Half the developing gaming planet does this these days and all the sudden it's a crime? lol

Open beta starts on 31st. But being the zombie guy I am I went with a package deal so I get some passes I can resell and 15 in game money for the cash shop which is not pay to win just costumes and crap i believe.

In the end you can do some searching been articles on this game and at first people accused it of being a rip off. But they have legit stuff to show it was being made prior to day z being put out in the wild.

Anyway hands on with alpha build. Btw I myself had seen gameplay of it months ago just no one was making noise, and I guess they weren't tossing cash at some marketing team to throw it in everyones face. Yeah then after seeing how day z turned out and how much hype it built the probably figured hmmm maybe this game will be something big after all.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/12/gdc-online-2012-a-severed-hands-on-with-the-war-z/

My skepticism is for both sides though... I'm not saying the game is a scam (as many youtubers claim)... At the same time; I'm not ready to drop coin on it yet. Never been the "early adopter" type myself. Just consider the fact that I'm probably one of the very last people under 50 that has never owned a smart phone ~yet~ and you'll see where I'm coming from. :D

My skepticism is for both sides though... I'm not saying the game is a scam (as many youtubers claim)... At the same time; I'm not ready to drop coin on it yet. Never been the "early adopter" type myself. Just consider the fact that I'm probably one of the very last people under 50 that has never owned a smart phone ~yet~ and you'll see where I'm coming from. :D

lol gotcha I just finally got a smart phone and was actually because I was forced into it by t-mobile only free phones they had that were free were smart phones and my old regular phone died.

Right now I'm just waiting to dl the game guess it will open up between 3 and 9 pm my eastern. Least that's what I get from there time schedule.

man and i just bought arma II for dayz :\

Yeah being a big zombie fanatic it took everything I had not to buy arma 2 But that was because I knew this was coming and just looked more polished.

I will still get day z probably but not until the stand alone client comes along.

I haven't played DayZ, but I am a huge fan of the videos on YouTube. I didn't want to purchase Arma2 and Op Arrowhead, just to play a mod. But... I almost did on a few occasions, even had the purchase page in Steam open.

From what I understand, WarZ runs the same engine as War Inc., according to developer commentary on a gameplay video. However, it has been tweaked heavily for WarZ. Its even made by the same company, well a subsidairy of the parent company, but many studios do this. Also, I believe they tried to keep things hush hush until the annoucement of the stand alone DayZ game (Just my opinion). Even the developers on gameplay commentary aren't shy about stating that the game plays similar to DayZ.

Anyhow, I managed to cough up some dough to play this game. I will do the same when DayZ stand alone comes out. I actually think both games will benifit from this "competition". Huge zombie fan here. Anyone else catch The Walking Dead Last night? They have gotten to my favorite part in the comic.... Well it follows it somewhat, lol.

War Z is cool but it's so far mostly people running around in groups of two or 3 beating each other to death with flash lights lol. Game is crashes a lot for most people. I being one fo them about every 3 to 5 minutes it will crash when playing. But that's what a alpha is for lol.

But playing the little I did tonight I think it's very promising.

As for walking dead hell yeah last nights opener was awesome. I haven't read the comics yet I was about to get the big book off amazon but broke right now and Kinda don't want to ruin anything for the show even tho I've been told it's pretty loose.

Very scary starting out at night. I have made two characters already and they both have died from a flash light......... Also I could not kill a zombie with a flash light either I must have smacked that thing 200 times. The second character was killed as soon as I logged in lol. Has promise....

I managed to get on a server where people weren't player killing. So much better... I found you can just run from zombies weaving over fences or around tress usually looses them (if you don't have a melee weapon). I think they have the player limit to high for the area they chose. Seems like people are everywhere. So far the game is fun to me though.

Back