• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fully managed Cisco gb Switch close to $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

so about 10 months ago I was looking for a cisco fully managed 1gb switch for sub $100, and I found one that is close
I found a and bought
it runs 12.2-44 (lastest version)
24ports of full gb
one model is just 24 gb ports and one is 24 gb ports and 4 SFP ports
I get around 120mb when moving files.
does etherchannel LACP etc.
sadly only layer 2 (no intervlan routing)
these are at EOL but great for cheap gb

you can find them for around $100 to $150 on ebay (some listing are over but I found when getting mine some sellers will go lower)
I got mine for $110 but I offered the guy that amount
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=cisco+2970&_sop=15

here is a Pic of Mine (its the one with all the ports used)
2014-07-16152031_zpsc704809f.jpg

case if you are wondering I have in order from top 2610, 2621 3524,3550,2970,1841 then file server then Misc server

Last edited:
Yeah I've been looking. I think I need a 4 post tho. Have a 24bay 4u server chassis.

Sorry for going off topic. I also have a filled up 8 port gigabit switch (netgear)and have been watching 24ports on ebay. Is there any benefit to a home user regarding managed vs unmanaged? Just chain another 8 port to my existing? Certain brands to avoid?

what I like about this is the speed
some off brand/cheapo ones don't get full 1gb, i had one that would max out at 60mb, this i can easily do 120mb and i think my HDD as slowing it down

unmanaged means you can not configure any settings you just plug and go

but if you like to set things your way a managed switch you can do loads (note though CLI)example I have two servers each have dual nic ports i run LACP on both servers and my switch ports they are connected to and each server gets 2gb of speed verse 1gb because im using both gb ports on the server as one logical port
if you don't know how to configure cisco stuff you can read online or post here (its not too hard for basic configure)

but when theses come defaulted they are basicly act as a unmanaged switch

as for the 8port switch chain i used to have that a 8port full and a 5 port right next to it with it almost full
i say f you are willing to buy another switch i would go for a min 16port (24port if you need ore later) switch verse chaining two 8 port ones you also get better transfer speeds with one big switch

I also recommend the Dell PowerConnect 5224, its a full 24 port gigabit managed switch you can usually find for around $50 shipped on ebay. If your not studying cisco, its what I would recommend.

3Com SuperStack II or III rackmount managed switch

24 ports of 10/100/1000, 2 upgrade ports out back for fiber channel and other cards, link port for daisy chaining more of them together, some have dedicated uplink ports that are straight GbE.

Ebay. $9. I love these things, we ran out LAN events off of a Hardigg case full of them for quite some time until we were sponsored.

Back