• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the next big OS, vista or xp 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually I have not heard anything abut Vista (aka Longhorn) being 64bit. They might be comming out with a 64bit version too though.

I think I saw someone in the Vista thread mention in passing about something else that they were downloading both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version

I would hope that they would release both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows Vista.

They did release a 32bit and 64bit version, I have both and have installed both. Its just like it is with Xp 32bit and XP 64bit. However some programs will not run on Vista 64bit, because there not native 64bit programs. You dont notice 1 bit of difference with Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit. Just like I didnt notice any difference from XP 32bit and XP 64bit.

From what i have heard

Vista is to XP
as Win98SE is to WIN 98
Or Vista is XP SP3 with a pretty GUI

A lot of people have said that, but with Aero, winFX, Avalon, Indigo (which are all beta software to download from MS), it doesnt do anything like XP does. It has a lot more features that XP doesnt have. One thing it is going to have, coming out in Beta2 is a set of software that automaticly checks and configures your system based on what you want to do. Say you want to do some gaming, it will configure it self to have the best performance, I.E.. turning off service's that arent needed optimizing the file system, known as winFS.

Ive been running it for some time now, and I like it better already then XP. All though it does need more resource's then XP does (ram wise) but if your into Gaming and benching already, that isnt a issue.

Osirus said:
All though it does need more resource's then XP does (ram wise) but if your into Gaming and benching already, that isnt a issue.

Say what?
If it requires more resources of course its and issue, as you will have a slower computer.

hafa said:
Can't resist... Could you say that you didn't notice a BIT of a difference? :p

Actually there is only 2 noticable changes between XP and XP x64. One is the desktop bakground, and the other is the task manager where it will say if something is 32bit running. Otherwise there is NO difference between the GUI.

Most of the upgrades to 64bit are all theoretical upgrades. Unless you're running over 4GB memory (what home user does) then it can't really use the areas it was upgraded for.

Now i don't know about your usage patterns, but tell me if this means anything to you:

Max Physical RAM- 32bit=4gb 64bit=128gb
Total Virtual address space on single process- 32bit=4gb 64bit=16tb
Virtual address spare per 32bit process- 32bit=2gb 64bit=4gb
Virtual address spare per 64bit process- 32bit=n/a 64bit=8tb
Supports "no execute(amd)" execute disable(intel)"- 32bit=no 64bit=yes
OS kernal- 32bit=XP 64bit=Server 2001 SP1
Kernel-mode device driver support- 32bit= 16/32bit 64bit=64bit
Application Support- 32bit=DOS, 16, 32bit 64bit= 32bit, extended 32bit, 64bit
DLL Support- 32bit=32bit only 64bit= 64bit only

Also activex applets will not run on x64. So this can lead to IE, OE and other appllications that are needed to be re-written.

This info straight from an article in CPU Magazine.

I don't know about you, but none of that means anything to me, and actual performance and feel are identical between the two OS's.

As for Vista, i've never used it and can't comment on that :)

JaY_III said:
Say what?
If it requires more resources of course its and issue, as you will have a slower computer.
Yes it only makes logical sense tha you would have a slow computer, but Ive been running Vista since it was released, and Ill tell you with the current setup I have, as per my sig. Vista hauls some a$$, in terms of boot time, windows loading times after login. I would run some test's but alot of the programs lack the support of the Vista platform, not to mention lack of driver support.

winFS is coming back in Beta2, so that will be very interesting to see what performance, (if any) it will have on Vista.

THE next big OS is going to be OSX for x86, guaranteed! Requires 64bit CPU though. I was gonna grab the beta, but can't run it since I've got an AthlonXP

Back