• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the next big OS, vista or xp 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
theMonster said:
THE next big OS is going to be OSX for x86, guaranteed! Requires 64bit CPU though. I was gonna grab the beta, but can't run it since I've got an AthlonXP
I would love to try OSx for x86 cant seem to find it though...

Wow, nice to se people opemly admit o warez - going to grab the betta of OSx86 really, didnt know it was "public availible"

anyways

u can not comment on Vista to XP - since ti is in Beta 1 and was made on 32bit for testing as well

it is FAr from complete and it is probably still much like the Alpha in that it is still largely XP with some new features that most dont even see.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Wow, nice to se people opemly admit o warez - going to grab the betta of OSx86 really, didnt know it was "public availible"

anyways

u can not comment on Vista to XP - since ti is in Beta 1 and was made on 32bit for testing as well

it is FAr from complete and it is probably still much like the Alpha in that it is still largely XP with some new features that most dont even see.

If your a MSDN you should have acess to it already

I think M$ will go retro and re-release WIN 3.1 ! Man that OS would fly on my current rig! And yes I am drinking tonight, infact I am on my 5th beer since 7 pm! :beer:

However some programs will not run on Vista 64bit, because there not native 64bit programs.

as in what they havent made it 32bit backwards compatable?

Mr Guvernment said:

you read my mind..surprised the mods arent all over this..surprised M$/ Apple arent all over you guys...oh well, we'll know what happened if he dosnt post for a long time

btw, DLing osx.4 for x86 is pointless. Oh yea, youll get it alright. However, 1. it wont install. 2. its INTEL, it wont work on AMD. Also itll only work on the same motherboards...so in theory, if you were to build a replica x86mac, then you could run it..however theyre using some screwy intel based graphics card, minus OpenGL AFAIK.

Now i SHOULDNT mention this, but 1 guy managed to install it on his p4 using Darwin..HOWEVER, it wont boot simply because apple locked it to these drivers taht come with their x86 macs. closest anyone has ever gotten is a text based install that only partially indicates an osx install (its along hte lines of welcome to darwin) so no one is even sure.

TheMonster, what the heck are you talking about? lol 64bit x86 mac osx? doesnt exist as far as i know. its pointless anyways, currently osx.4 only has backround 64bit implementation (thanks alot apple)...however, if monsters being sarcastic or not, i agree with what he said, since the new ones will run windows as well, which i think is ballsy on apples end...but itll take awhile..probably not tiil windows xp SP4 and mac osx6 i think we'll see a shift..if they dont get mad at jobbs again

(yea iknow you guys are thinkin "oh heres MSM again ranting about osx, which sucks blablabla")

my vote goes to BeOS :p

Last edited:
lordkosc said:
I think M$ will go retro and re-release WIN 3.1 ! Man that OS would fly on my current rig! And yes I am drinking tonight, infact I am on my 5th beer since 7 pm! :beer:

light-weigtht.
Come up to Canada and i'll show you how to drink

edit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/

lots of people have access to it
so dont be too quick to yell pirate

edit 2:
Now if you do want to yell pirate, and want to see the biggest thing to happen to OS's in years
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25363
OSX anyone on your X86

Last edited:
JaY_III said:
light-weigtht.
Come up to Canada and i'll show you how to drink

edit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/

lots of people have access to it
so dont be too quick to yell pirate
Which I have access to it, My boss pays close to $3000 for a MSDN subscription, which I have access to. Ive been using Vista 32bit since it was released to MSDN subscribers.

I would love to go mac... problem is my house (wife and myself) are all on Windows based machines. Im in the process of looking for a Mac-Mini to start out with.

MadSkillzMan said:
TheMonster, what the heck are you talking about? lol 64bit x86 mac osx? doesnt exist as far as i know. its pointless anyways, currently osx.4 only has backround 64bit implementation (thanks alot apple)...however, if monsters being sarcastic or not, i agree with what he said, since the new ones will run windows as well, which i think is ballsy on apples end...but itll take awhile..probably not tiil windows xp SP4 and mac osx6 i think we'll see a shift..if they dont get mad at jobbs again

(yea iknow you guys are thinkin "oh heres MSM again ranting about osx, which sucks blablabla")

my vote goes to BeOS :p

No sarcasm, the beta is out. Somebody hacked the software to bypass the special chip they're sticking in the MACs to make them Apple only. With the hack it'll run on any 64-bit x86 machine Intel or AMD. Some people are now saying they've got it to work on 32bit CPUs. I'll let you know in a couple of days if it'll run on a 32bit AMD.

winFS is coming back in Beta2, so that will be very interesting to see what performance, (if any) it will have on Vista.
When did that happen? Not long ago I still heard people talking about no WinFS.

Sorry to scream copy cat's - i had thought the Beta for MAC was only out to developer kits and individuals chosen and not an open public beta as of yet.

I had heard that winFS was to be released for a future XP service pack as well as some other features that were to be exclusive to Vista but to keep the public happy they were doing a service pack for XP to include some new toys.

I advise less talking about possible hacks or less than public betas.

MadSkillzMan said:
winFS? thats gonna screw things up for the dual booters...atleast nix and osx can read NTFS

And since when did MS care about *nix or Mac?
*nix will adapt, they always do.
Mac will also figure it out in time, so dont worry to much

hafa, not winfX, winfS as in FileSystem

id be glad to hear linux gets it first, that means mac will automatically get it (i love running *nix software on this thing)

Question: Microsoft said they were going to do something big to help gamers wit the new OS?
Question: Will vista use ALOT more resources? I have 512mb's of ram.
Question: Can you run 2 OS's? Vista and XP?

Rozal said:
Question: Microsoft said they were going to do something big to help gamers wit the new OS?
Question: Will vista use ALOT more resources? I have 512mb's of ram.
Question: Can you run 2 OS's? Vista and XP?
Please read the entire thread, your answers are already answered.

MadSkillzMan said:
hafa, not winfX, winfS as in FileSystem...

(Cleans egg off of face) Guess I should have paid attention to the link I posted...I'm not the only one, however, which is getting them mixed up; Microsoft themselves hosed the link on this page (click on "check the latest WinFS documentation" in the disclaimer) which I used for my last link...

Perhaps the note on the page is outdated, but I does say that Longhorn would not include WinFS; not sure if this is true for Vista...

Back