• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help oc'ing a i7 960 on a Gigabyte G1 Assassin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

threeonezero

Hello everyone, I am in the need of some help of oc'ing my cpu. I tried to oc my i7 960 a while back by following some guides and other members posts but in the end I ended up BSODing my computer. I have returned the bios to the default setting and need your guys help. I want to get it to the 4-4.2GHz mark.

My parts are:
Intel Core i7 960 [stock]
Gigabyte G1 Assassin mobo
Corsair H80
Corsair Vengeance 24GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 XMP
Corsair Force GT 120GB [main boot drive]
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green [data drive]
EVGA GTX 680 SLI
Corsair HX1050

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Did you read our guide yet?

Try taking a read through that and follow the steps and see where that gets you. Post back any questions you have after reading.

@mokrunka thanks for the link, i took a look at it and tried to oc it. However, I was not able to get my computer to post after the oc, so I ended up returning to stock bios settings :(
Got any tips on about what the values my settings should be?

Well, what process did you use to try the overclock? The guide recommends small steps; were you able to ever get the computer to post with any amount of overclock? If so, what settings did it fail on? It may help if you can post a BIOS template with the settings you are at when it fails, and the settings you are at just before it fails.

If you are increasing voltages and speeds in a step-wise manner, you should have a relatively clear idea of what your limit is for your setup.

Back