• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shooting for 4.2 on air, need a little help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnus28

Registered
Hey guys,

I have a 1090T with a M4A89td-Pro.

Got cpu to 4.01 Ghz Stable.

Cpu : 1.45 Volts
Dram: 1.70 volts
Cpu/Nb 1.3 Volts
Nb: 1.2695 Volts
VDDA: 2.5
Cpu/NB Frequency: 2750Mhz
Ht Frequency: 2000Mhz

LLC: Enabled
CPU/NB LLC: Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto (what does this do?)

Ran OCCT for an hour, cpu temp maxed out at 63 degrees celcius, core temp 50 degrees.

Ran Prime95 Blend for an hour Cpu temp maxed at 62, core 53.

cpu at idle runs at 35 degrees.

So temps are still good, wanna push it to 4.2. suggestions for settings?

One final note: on my old board settings stayed in yellow when I changed voltages, now my ram voltage is purple, and my cpu/nb is red, and my cpu voltage is red? is this too much for the board? on my old asus 880G, they seemed to be fine.

no one posted ;-(

guess that's bad karma for me... as a result my motherboard got randoly fried - even though my temps were good under load (OCCT) and my vcore wasn't set over 1.45, my cpu/b not over 1.3, and my nb was at 1.26

something bad happened so my system would not post (no logo, just black screen) but would boot up windows after 5 minutes..

no bios, and my front usb headers got fried.....

*sigh* i'm getting really fast at ripping out motherboards and boxing them up. took me 15 minutes to remove everything and put it in it's original packaging.

Dolk has a job and is, no doubt, also gearing up for school again. I wouldn't feel too bad because he didn't get back to you yesterday. Guess it's all kind of moot now, though, with another dead board on your hands. Odd that they keep frying on you. You've had more board problems in two months than I've had through 12 rigs over 4 years ...

I KNOW!

well this time i'm gonna shoot for 4.2

i'm gonna crank up th vcore to 1.52
and jack the nb up to 1.32

i want also to shoot for a 3000Mhz nb, which volt do i need to up in order to keep that stable? is it the CPU/NB?

Could it be the voltages he was running on this board? I only ask because I am using them to test.
That's very possible. Most people limit cpuNB voltage to 1.25v and vCore to 1.45v or 1.50v with good load core temps. If you're at 50°C or less with 1.45v and a high overclock I might try 1.50v but I'd watch the temps real close if I did ...

Lots of board failures could be a psu or dirty wall power issue.

It could also be overheating VRMS most mondern mega coolers require the use of an extra fan to blow on the chipset or VRM sink when OCing and stressing IMHO, although the fact that it does eventually load windows.... I do not know that one...

Lots of board failures could be a psu or dirty wall power issue.

It could also be overheating VRMS most mondern mega coolers require the use of an extra fan to blow on the chipset or VRM sink when OCing and stressing IMHO, although the fact that it does eventually load windows.... I do not know that one...
It's hard to tell from the description. On a WAG I'd say either the monitor isn't coming on for that 5 min. or there's no video output in all that time. Maybe there is POST and maybe the OS loads but without video you'd never know it unless you were watching the HDD light and listening for beeps (if you know what they're suppose to be doing) ...

That's very possible. Most people limit cpuNB voltage to 1.25v and vCore to 1.45v or 1.50v with good load core temps. If you're at 50°C or less with 1.45v and a high overclock I might try 1.50v but I'd watch the temps real close if I did ...

I haven't gone over 1.45v cpu and 1.2v NB yet so that makes me feel better. Probably won't with my current cooling either. I do hit 50c on CoreTemp at 100% load in testing so should I be worried?

I haven't gone over 1.45v cpu and 1.2v NB yet so that makes me feel better. Probably won't with my current cooling either. I do hit 50c on CoreTemp at 100% load in testing so should I be worried?
50°C is still good but as you go higher from there you have a bigger chance of becoming unstable from heat. It varies from CPU to CPU but the average range seems to be from 52°C-58°C where heat gets the better of you. That's also CPU speed dependent as well. I've seen 3.6 GHz on Phenom II's at 60°C with stock voltage - and that's about as hot as I'd EVER want to be. ;)

That makes sense possibly a HTLink issue? I never OC mine...
That's possible though I've never heard of the HT Link messing up video that bad. If it's going to screw something up from being overclocked it usually starts with corrupted HDD data. Of course, that often leads to a corrupted OS and all kinds of issues - but no issues like this one, at least none that I've heard of ...

Magnus28, I had a computer start doing the same thing not too long ago with the black screen. It turned out to be the monitor so swap it out if you can. My pc would just sit there fully running, fans, beeps and all, but nothing on the screen. Then after a restart or ten or just letting it sit for a while it would boot up fine. On mine the light on the monitor would flash different than if it was on or in standby so check that out.

my moneys on VR taking a dump, 6 cores running at 4.2Ghz is alot of juice and alot of mobos are able to run them moderatly OCed but 4.2 seems a bit extreme on something that doesent have super beefy regulation with some nice coolers on them

my moneys on VR taking a dump, 6 cores running at 4.2Ghz is alot of juice and alot of mobos are able to run them moderatly OCed but 4.2 seems a bit extreme on something that doesent have super beefy regulation with some nice coolers on them
That board is just a small step down from the Crosshair IV - it's a very good board. You're right about the X6 pulling a lot of juice but ASUS knew the X6 was coming when they designed those boards - and the MOSFET coolers are pretty beefy ...

I don't think it was my monitor - remember my front USB headers were fried as well.

Ice, at 4.01 hottest my cpu got during 100%load was around 58 degrees, and my core temp around 56. Mind you that was after an hour of OCCT pounding my system.

One thing's for sure - I won't use OCCT or Prime 95 again for longer than 10 minutes. I think they are extremely hard on your components. Not to mention that I'll never be at 100% load for more than a minute or two - if that. Even if i'm running a game at full settings, while decoding a video at the same time.

I'll just run for 5-10 minutes to see if it can handle 100% without crashing. I don't care if it's only 90% stable, I know lots of people that claim their system isn't stable on prime95, but have run their rigs for months without crashing.

Can someone answer my question about the NB Frequency? what would I have to change to get it stable around 3000Mhz? Is it Cpu/NB?
what am I looking at in terms of voltage?

what about HT link? Say I wanted to run that around 2600Mhz?

Am i the only one who noticed the NB voltage seems high, now maybe im going by my 790fx board, but is'nt it supposed to be like 1.1v or something, could putting almost 1.3v thru it be frying the northbridge. Also if he is raising the voltage I fail to see why, for 2600mhz cpu-nb speed on my 790fx-gd70 i raised my nb voltage to 1.16 and cpu-nb voltage to 1.24v, and to be honest i only upped the 790fx voltage to 1.16 because i figured it would help some in stability, but does'nt the chipset have different tolerance to what it can take voltage wise because unlike the cpu-nb which is on the processor it's not actively cooled????

Am i the only one who noticed the NB voltage seems high, now maybe im going by my 790fx board, but is'nt it supposed to be like 1.1v or something, could putting almost 1.3v thru it be frying the northbridge. Also if he is raising the voltage I fail to see why, for 2600mhz cpu-nb speed on my 790fx-gd70 i raised my nb voltage to 1.16 and cpu-nb voltage to 1.24v, and to be honest i only upped the 790fx voltage to 1.16 because i figured it would help some in stability, but does'nt the chipset have different tolerance to what it can take voltage wise because unlike the cpu-nb which is on the processor it's not actively cooled????
I didn't see that earlier but you're right ...

Back