• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how the heck do i use an ATi card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

so i reciently got an ATI 4870 and am getting some crap performance from it. the issue seems to be loading textures into memory. Whenever i turn a corner in a game i get a really low(2-5) fps for a couple seconds then after that the game will play perfectly.

i also seem to be getting very low performance, in the crysis benchmark with all settings to medium, no AA, and at 1280x1024 i only get around 15fps on the first run, then each time i run it in a row it raises as it seems all the textures get put in memory. The second run tends to be around 30fps then the third around 35.

im considering RMAing the card and getting one of the new 216shader GTX260. help stop me

What card did you have before?

did you remove all drivers? use Driver Cleaner / Sweaper to get ride of your old drives?

Check your computer for viruses, defrag your harddrive?

what drivers are you using 8.9 / 8.8 / 8.7?

im using a saphire 4870. i have tried it in xp32, vista64, server 2008 64bit. they were all fresh installs with the exception of xp32. i have tried the 8.6 hotfix, 8.8 and 8.9. i have a friend who is having this issue as well on his 3650.

i really need help it makes my computer unusable

oh and i have even tried flashing the cards bios to see if that would fix it

this is weird, i got a 4850 under server 2008 64bit and it works fine

did you do the fan profiile fix to up the fan speed? could be throttling due to over heating

Sounds really weird :confused:
I'm using 4870 on XP 32-bit and it works like a dream. I first installed 8.6 from the CD. Then I just installed 8.8 right on top of it. Removed 8.8 from the control panel and installed 8.9.

Could it be something really weird like that your NB doesn't get enough voltage?
My computer runs at vNB 1.31v, but when I try to run 3DMARK06 the computer just boots. Boosted vNB to 1.33v and works nice now.

I hope you get it fixed. :-/

so i reciently got an ATI 4870 and am getting some crap performance from it. the issue seems to be loading textures into memory. Whenever i turn a corner in a game i get a really low(2-5) fps for a couple seconds then after that the game will play perfectly.

i also seem to be getting very low performance, in the crysis benchmark with all settings to medium, no AA, and at 1280x1024 i only get around 15fps on the first run, then each time i run it in a row it raises as it seems all the textures get put in memory. The second run tends to be around 30fps then the third around 35.

im considering RMAing the card and getting one of the new 216shader GTX260. help stop me

This should for sure be higher
with 1 8800gt Ultra high 20-25fps on the bench .

yeah but the odd thing is once the textures seem fully buffered from the first run, the second runs much better, albeit less than i would expect from what iv read.

GPUZ and what is it showing for the PCIE connection speed? kinda sounds like chipset drivers were not installed... along the lines of why a AGP card would show PCI as the buss in the old nv drivers with no chipset drivers. then after installing chipset drivers it would then show a AGP 8x buss.

did you up the PCIE voltage or buss speed at all? ati cards dont like high buss speeds,i tried mine at 110 for a while. then had some issues lowered it to 101 and things were better. NV cards like higher pcie buss speeds though...

GPUZ and what is it showing for the PCIE connection speed? kinda sounds like chipset drivers were not installed... along the lines of why a AGP card would show PCI as the buss in the old nv drivers with no chipset drivers. then after installing chipset drivers it would then show a AGP 8x buss.

did you up the PCIE voltage or buss speed at all? ati cards dont like high buss speeds,i tried mine at 110 for a while. then had some issues lowered it to 101 and things were better. NV cards like higher pcie buss speeds though...

a friend of mine is having this issue on a 3650 on agp with a 845 chipset could this(bad driver install) be the issue there? im reinstalling the drivers right now to check.

but on my computer i have pci set to 109 instead of 100 ill try setting it back to default though if u think that might be the issue

well i had issues at 110 so i would go 101... it still sounds like the chipset drivers for the motherboard were not installed..

Back