• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sustained internet speed tests?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ou_phidelt

Are there any internet speed tests that are sustained to a larger download? I have Time Warner with the 8Mb RR which has been consistently at that speed. I was bored and went and ran speakeasy and it gave me 19.5, woah. To verify I ran speedtest.net, 19.4. I ran them both a couple of times and got up to 22 with a one time low of 13 out of around ten runs. Is there a test I can run to see if it is actually a sustained rate or just one of those 10 seconds and it slows down turbo deals. Looking at TW's site the highest they offer is 10Mb's so I am a little dumbfounded right now.

ya you have powerboost kicking in there.

My suggestion is find a GOOD webserver and go download a big file... a good one is STEAM. go install a demo of a game or something its maxin out my 26mbit (3.1MB/s = 3174KB/s x 8 = 25.4mbit also running a 16man CS 1.6 server at this point in time.) connection right now downloading portal first slice.

if your not getting close to what your paying for its usually the webserver, i think gone are the days of ppl not getting close to rated download speeds.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,754
Last edited:
TW sucks ... when I first begin downloading from steam, it will start out around 1.1 MB/s and then will slow to 500 - 700 kb/s

i have the normal speed,last week i found the speed tester where some more facility i found like domain search,ip search these are avail togather here for more details view this speed test

I prefer to test by finding a fast mirror and downloading a linux dvd image. Most speed tests can't keep up with very fast connections, and they might report wrong, a fast mirror will give you a good picture of what your real speed is.

Can't comment on what a good mirror around where you are would be.

At a place I was staying at this past weekend and Monday, with Comcast, when I downloaded a large file, it was typically at 11.2 Mbit and fluctuating to 12 Mbit.

And often shows 30 Mbit or around there, for the download at speedtest.net.

At a place I was staying at this past weekend and Monday, with Comcast, when I downloaded a large file, it was typically at 11.2 Mbit and fluctuating to 12 Mbit.

And often shows 30 Mbit or around there, for the download at speedtest.net.

Which brings us back to the part of finding a good mirror to test the download from. I can think of a few hosts (here in Finland) which will always give me maximum download speeds on any connection that is 100mbps or less, I find it hard to believe there would not be similar hosts in the states.

Please test your downloads, by downloading an Ubuntu ISO, with the mit.edu mirror. ;)

MIT is a mirror I suggest for people in the eastern US half.

neither can mit.edu 's ubuntu mirror although im on the west coast.

What do you have for internet? Looks like MIT will max most folks' internet connections.

It looks like MIT does come close, unless you have more than 100 Mbit, which I doubt you have.

And I'm only aware of a couple that has 100 Mbit service. Looks like only Cablevision, (or Optimum Online?) in New York and in Europe.

Last edited:
Back