• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Devil's Canyon or Haswell-DT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ab98

Registered
Hello. I am upgrading from an AMD FX-8320 with an H60 and an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 and am wondering what I should do - should I get a new 4790K or a 4770K? On MicroCenter, I found a great deal - a MAXIMUS VII HERO for $189.99 (because it is bundled with the 4770K), 4770K for $259.99, and an H105 $119.99. This totals to $604.17 with tax. If I wait and get the 4790K, the motherboard goes back up to its price of $229.99 and the processor is $279.99, totaling the price to $667.77 with tax. The question is, will the extra performance really be necessary for the extra $63? I am planning on overclocking a bit, but the H105 will be fine, and I don't need to go all the way to 5 GHz (It would be awesome to, but it isn't necessary). What I mainly do is play Battlefield 3 and 4 and Flight Simulator X (single threaded, so the AMD chip lacks), and do rendering and compression. I also record Battlefield 3 and 4 and maybe FSX while playing, render it (which I need done pretty swiftly) and compress it for uploading and storing on my Hard Drive. Lately, the 8320 has not been cutting it with my 2 270X's in Crossfire, especially when recording. I don't even get all that much more with Crossfire because this it is bottlenecking. I currently have a stable overclock at 4.2 GHz (1.35 V). I am also selling these for $330 probably on eBay (where do you recommend selling these where people will not pull a fast one to make me lose out) and my old 760GMA-P34(FX) for around $50, to get $380. I estimate I will get around $200 soon and can choke up the extra money, but will the extra performance of the 4790K really be worth it? Thank you very much and my specs are in my signature.

wait, grab the 4970 and the AsRock Extreme 6
By then they may even have an z97 OCF, both board are superior to the Hero IMO and both will retail for less

wait, grab the 4970 and the AsRock Extreme 6
By then they may even have an z97 OCF, both board are superior to the Hero IMO and both will retail for less

I am going with an ROG board for a number or reasons:

1. I am very happy with my current ASUS board.

2. I have heard many great things about the board.

3. I will utilize the sound features such as Sonic Radar that are exclusive to ROG boards.

4. The Network Prioritization will help with uploads and gaming.

5. The ASUS Z97 boards have superior overclocking ability with their 60 Amp VRMs.

That's good, just wait till you have to rma the board for something

There are just as many great things being said about the Extreme6. on top of that the ROG board doesnt sport the Ultra m.2 slot, that the Extreme6 has.

3. I will utilize the sound features such as Sonic Radar that are exclusive to ROG boards.
it's just software both boards use the same Realtek ALC1150 chip. if you look around im sure you can download that app. i dont see how that sound app is going to be any help at all.

both also have the same intel I218V and asrock sporting a secondary nic. you will be able to do the same network priotization on the asrock board, they get their drivers from intel. then just change the install face to look like they made them. having a router that does the same thing when sending traffic out is more important then the nic doing it to the router. if the middle man can do what the nic does, then having the nic do that to the router is a mute point.

5. The ASUS Z97 boards have superior overclocking ability with their 60 Amp VRMs.
the asus board is able to at its limits on the chokes do 480amps. now the Asrock board is 456amps, so a 24amp difference. both boards cause of the high current would be good choices for extreme cooling. i wouldnt say superior any more, my pov is from what i have seen in the past to where they are now. while asrock may not be used due to different factors. i doubt on air/water the asrock is going to limit ocing, unless your going to be doing the extreme cooling. In which case the Asus board may due better.

only reason some are speaking out against Asus products is cause of this. send in a board with a undamaged socket pins for rma, let asus damage it. Then tell you that you have pay them for a new board. i for the longest time never used the onboard nic on my i7 rig. had to use it one day to find out it doesnt work. luckily for me i had some spare pcie nics laying about to use.

That's cool, what do you record and upload?

Battlefield mostly. The only problem is I have only been able to upload a few because it takes forever to compress for uploading. This is why I am going to try an Intel processor. They are also unenjoyably laggy, because I drop from 80-90fps down to 20-45 when recording. Terrible drops.

Last edited:
only reason some are speaking out against Asus products is cause of this. send in a board with a undamaged socket pins for rma, let asus damage it. Then tell you that you have pay them for a new board. i for the longest time never used the onboard nic on my i7 rig. had to use it one day to find out it doesnt work. luckily for me i had some spare pcie nics laying about to use.

Understood. I hear the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE is a great overclocker. What is your take on that board? That brings the price down to $577.67 because of the bundle :D but with the 4790K, it goes all the way back to $641.27. Is the 4790K really worth all of that extra money? I saw Digital Storm's review on it and it looked pretty damn good, but it is more money that I don't really have. With this, I can break even perfectly if I get that $200 and sell my parts for a total of $380. Will the 4770K, the soc force, and the H105 get me to an overclock to suit my needs or do I have to get the 4790K. I don't want any regrets in my performance or my wallet, so please help me decide. I can probably pick up the parts pretty soon, but will be going away before the 4790K gets released, and then microcenter's deals will shift to LGA1155, not LGA1150. I don't want to miss out on a sale, because that can cost me a fortune.

Last edited:
20ibc77.jpg BF4 WITHOUT recording (wierd Siege of Shanghai lag issue, happens with a lot of the bf4 default maps, but I usually run a good bit over 100 on China Rising, but recording CR get me down to about 40-50. If I can get a 4770K/4790K, I can run more matches and show you guys the differences :D

Battlefield mostly. The only problem is I have only been able to upload a few because it takes forever to compress for uploading. This is why I am going to try an Intel processor. They are also unenjoyably laggy, because I drop from 80-90fps down to 20-45 when recording. Terrible drops.
Do you have a choice of upload speed, I have 30Mbps upload and I don't compress.

I would wait for the i7 4790k I think it will help you allot with overclocking.

Understood. I hear the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE is a great overclocker. What is your take on that board? That brings the price down to $577.67 because of the bundle :D but with the 4790K, it goes all the way back to $641.27. Is the 4790K really worth all of that extra money? I saw Digital Storm's review on it and it looked pretty damn good, but it is more money that I don't really have. With this, I can break even perfectly if I get that $200 and sell my parts for a total of $380. Will the 4770K, the soc force, and the H105 get me to an overclock to suit my needs or do I have to get the 4790K. I don't want any regrets in my performance or my wallet, so please help me decide. I can probably pick up the parts pretty soon, but will be going away before the 4790K gets released, and then microcenter's deals will shift to LGA1155, not LGA1150. I don't want to miss out on a sale, because that can cost me a fortune.

that GB board is a fine board indeed!
http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-unleas...ddr3-memory-45-ghz-frequency-record-computex/

way more options and checking things then i would ever use. imo mostly for the guys doing LN2 or some other extreme cooling. even without ocing the stock speed of 4ghz on the 4790K is going to be a nice factor imo. even more so when you talk about doing a/v encoding. did some testing my self tring to recode some bd's for mkv. my i3 370m can take up to 8hrs, my i7 [email protected](now cause of summer) takes about 2-3hrs. if your into to ocing, its really hard to say. the new 4790k has better TIM from die to ihs vs the 4770k. if your ok with deliding the 4770k and replacing the tim and ad some ocing. you would spend less give or take and have something that is a power house at encoding(being more hands on). out the box the 4790k might be the way to go since you dont have to delid the cpu and without ocing like i said, with ocing, just icing on the cake.

if i had ur budget, i'd go with the 4790k just because of the out of the box 4ghz clock speed.

Do you have a choice of upload speed, I have 30Mbps upload and I don't compress.

But would the extra overclocking really be worth the exrtra $60? Would it really be necessary? I am not trying to blow my budget here, but don't want to have to upgrade for years to come.

that GB board is a fine board indeed!
http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-unleas...ddr3-memory-45-ghz-frequency-record-computex/

way more options and checking things then i would ever use. imo mostly for the guys doing LN2 or some other extreme cooling. even without ocing the stock speed of 4ghz on the 4790K is going to be a nice factor imo. even more so when you talk about doing a/v encoding. did some testing my self tring to recode some bd's for mkv. my i3 370m can take up to 8hrs, my i7 [email protected](now cause of summer) takes about 2-3hrs. if your into to ocing, its really hard to say. the new 4790k has better TIM from die to ihs vs the 4770k. if your ok with deliding the 4770k and replacing the tim and ad some ocing. you would spend less give or take and have something that is a power house at encoding(being more hands on). out the box the 4790k might be the way to go since you dont have to delid the cpu and without ocing like i said, with ocing, just icing on the cake.

if i had ur budget, i'd go with the 4790k just because of the out of the box 4ghz clock speed.

How would I go about doing this? What would the overclock without delidding probably be around? Will that suit my needs? I am not constantly rendering, but I am a lot. I don't need lightspeed rendering, but I need it pretty fast, which is why I am not going with the 4670K/90K.

I have 11.685Mbps Upload and 57.244Mbps Download.

My main question is, will I be happy with the 4770K? I can delid if needed. Will the performance be equal to the 4790K if delidded?

Last edited by a moderator:

My Z77 ROG is a sweet board, does all i want and more.

My Z87 ROG is pain in the butt! They have huge Bios issues which they seem unable to fix.

Such as Bios clock freezes, Sli and Crossfire issue. Sli it will often refuse to find the second card, and Crossfire is fine, apart from when switching alot the bios will mess up and cause BSOD.

Both issues are solved with resetting the BIOS via the clear bios, but it will happen at the cost of your overclock. Every bios update, mens new settings on overclock too. Its not all fun.

The Z97 have also reported the freeze clock issue.

I would go for Gigabyte unless you are going for looks aswell.

That said, i do like both my boards, when the Z87 is working like it should.

4770K vs 4790K

First tests out of 4770K vs 4790K show that the temp issue is still around on the 4790K, they are faster than the 4770K but if you get a good 4770K delid, you are in the same spot. But seeing as the price diff is nothing, go for 4790K.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-Review-and-Overclocking

My main question is, will I be happy with the 4770K? I can delid if needed. Will the performance be equal to the 4790K if delidded?

No one knows that. The 4790K isn't out yet, only on paper. Can't compare chips if they're not physically available.

The only reason to delid is to get temps under control ( that's what I did with my 3570K). Sort of helps with the overclock in some way. Rule of thumb is the cooler the chip, the better it will perform.

If you can hold on a bit longer, get the 4790K. It's almost within your grasp.

Performance clock to clock of 4770K and 4790K will be the same. 4790K supposed to OC better and run at lower temps but if you get good 4770K then I think it won't make big difference on general 24/7 clocks so maybe up to 4.5GHz ( I see no reason why anyone need to run it higher.
4790K should be in the stores in about 3 weeks.

My Z77 ROG is a sweet board, does all i want and more.

My Z87 ROG is pain in the butt! They have huge Bios issues which they seem unable to fix.

Such as Bios clock freezes, Sli and Crossfire issue. Sli it will often refuse to find the second card, and Crossfire is fine, apart from when switching alot the bios will mess up and cause BSOD.

Both issues are solved with resetting the BIOS via the clear bios, but it will happen at the cost of your overclock. Every bios update, mens new settings on overclock too. Its not all fun.

The Z97 have also reported the freeze clock issue.

I would go for Gigabyte unless you are going for looks aswell.

That said, i do like both my boards, when the Z87 is working like it should.

4770K vs 4790K

First tests out of 4770K vs 4790K show that the temp issue is still around on the 4790K, they are faster than the 4770K but if you get a good 4770K delid, you are in the same spot. But seeing as the price diff is nothing, go for 4790K.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-Review-and-Overclocking

Microcenter has a big deal on the 4770K and bundles with it, but not with the 4790K and is more expensive.

Most people struggle to get to 4.4, or 4.5, on Haswell.

If you are at 68c on your AMD rig, that is too high. It is rated for 65 c iirc. People like to keep it below 60 c.

Most people struggle to get to 4.4, or 4.5, on Haswell.

If you are at 68c on your AMD rig, that is too high. It is rated for 65 c iirc. People like to keep it below 60 c.

I am not hitting 68c, I am saying the 4770K in the review did with the H105. Another thing - is the H105 compatible with the HAF 912? PCPartPicker says it is, but I see that people have to modify their cases or fans to fit the case for the H100i. I can probably find a way, though. As for my current temps, at 4.2 GHz @ 1.35 V on my 8320, on load my core temps get up to about 57 C and my socket gets to about 68 C, so just within the limits. Keep in mind I am using an H60 at the moment.

Last edited:
Back