• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flat Panel Monitor - Where to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^Can't even post a picture as it'll not look as good on the screen for those of us unfortunate enough to have lesser monitors :(

I paid for mine about this time yesterday. They've not marked it as shipped yet. :-/

i paid for mine on a wednesday night, answered some questions from the seller (bigclothcraft) thursday night, and it didnt ship until monday because of a korean holiday, arrived at the dhl facility on tuesday, and was at my door on wednesday. So one week for me, hard to argue with that.

Check out a iMac screen and you'll understand why

my dad is a photographer ( old school photo journalist, but recently had to switch to digital, as he does a lot more studio shoots on a hasselblad with the digi back. Tbh digi is more hassle that its worth in a professional capacity in my opinion)

i know the benefits of a good screen, but when im just using it for gaming and not in a professional capacity I'm not too fussy. My Benq is fine for gaming and watching HD films on it which is my main focus, and for the price you cant go wrong. If i was using it for serious vid/ pic editing i would run into issues with calibrating the screen, but i dont need to so im all good. For day to day use its perfect :p

I imagine it'd be wicked for p0rn :p Nah. I just want a wicked screen. The closest equivalent here in Australia goes for almost $800

Last edited:
My last monitor was a dell 2405 that i bought 7 years ago for about a thousand dollars, a good monitor will far outlast any other computer purchase you can make, with the exception of a good case.

i didnt mean in terms of physical death, more in terms of usability. I dont think any video cards/motherboards/cpus ect would even be worth using today, outside of a very basic web machine. Whereas that monitor is still pretty damned nice, and i wouldnt have even bothered replacing it except for the fantastic deal the catleaps are.

I mean, my opty 165 and 7800gtx were beastly for gaming back then, but im not sure i could handle trying to game with 256megs of vram today.

i didnt mean in terms of physical death, more in terms of usability. I dont think any video cards/motherboards/cpus ect would even be worth using today, outside of a very basic web machine. Whereas that monitor is still pretty damned nice, and i wouldnt have even bothered replacing it except for the fantastic deal the catleaps are.

I mean, my opty 165 and 7800gtx were beastly for gaming back then, but im not sure i could handle trying to game with 256megs of vram today.

My 21" CRT, flat glass, rocks. Alas, I'd like more acreage. I'm going to build my rig, see how it looks..check out these flat panels and make a decision from there. This CRT is beautiful.

My last monitor was a dell 2405 that i bought 7 years ago for about a thousand dollars, a good monitor will far outlast any other computer purchase you can make, with the exception of a good case.

Agree entirely.... I love my Silverstone TJ08-E case..... I'm hoping I love this screen as much :)

Will definitely leave feedback here once I receive it so you know whether its worth going ahead with. To me the price made with worthwhile. I cannot justify spending $800 for a 27" screen, and if this will look just as good then I'm getting a bargain. It's like getting a 60% discount ;)

Agree entirely.... I love my Silverstone TJ08-E case..... I'm hoping I love this screen as much :)

Will definitely leave feedback here once I receive it so you know whether its worth going ahead with. To me the price made with worthwhile. I cannot justify spending $800 for a 27" screen, and if this will look just as good then I'm getting a bargain. It's like getting a 60% discount ;)

Yeah I agree, it's the same as Apple's as far as we can tell. Wonder if someone has pulled both apart to check if other parts are the same.

I doubt other parts are the same, the controller boards in the catleaps arent even the same as they were in february, which is why they no longer do 85-120hz.

Nah, the electronic part will be whatever is cheap. The screen is the important part. I've still not had anyone explain to me why 100hz is better than 60hz anyway. So long as there's no ghosting I don't care, and from what I've heard these are fine at 60Hz so I don't really have any intention of overclocking it. I'm hoping I don't even have to worry about colour profiles even. ;)

Nah, the electronic part will be whatever is cheap. The screen is the important part. I've still not had anyone explain to me why 100hz is better than 60hz anyway. So long as there's no ghosting I don't care, and from what I've heard these are fine at 60Hz so I don't really have any intention of overclocking it. I'm hoping I don't even have to worry about colour profiles even. ;)

I'd like to know about the 60Hz thing too. I read the same as you.

As for cheap parts..hmmm a great screen but other parts that are cheap could end up with monitor that doesn't light up haha.

I wonder much different this IPS looks like vs a 1920x1080 for gaming.

60hz refresh rate means you are capped at 60 visible fps in games, with 100hz the visible cap is 100. The argument is that in a first person shooter 60 isnt enough to be competitive, and a good sniper needs 90-120. As im am o nm ly average at best in shooters, this doesnt concern me, and I dont care that I wont ever see more than 60 fps, because if I can maintain 60, its more than enough for me to lose myself in a good game without being irritated by jerkiness.

60hz refresh rate means you are capped at 60 visible fps in games, with 100hz the visible cap is 100. The argument is that in a first person shooter 60 isnt enough to be competitive, and a good sniper needs 90-120. As im am o nm ly average at best in shooters, this doesnt concern me, and I dont care that I wont ever see more than 60 fps, because if I can maintain 60, its more than enough for me to lose myself in a good game without being irritated by jerkiness.

New to the world of flat panels. Why does a good sniper need 90-120fps ? Is it because the screen if less, that means the screen isn't refreshing fast enough, and your target is out of sight?? Just trying to figure out how the technology impacts gameplay. Again, never had to worry about this w/CRTs! Jeez, for a technology that has been all the rage for the past few years, it SURE has a lot of issues compared to a CRT. I'm not impressed at all.

Except when I see a HD signal on a HD TV :D

Well, in theory more updates per second equals better smoother movement of enemies, im simply not good enough for it to matter, I mean, I game with a trackball mouse, and its wireless!

Back