• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get into gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My favorite thing about Steam is the simple fact that removes the clutter that is installation cds or the risk of losing your games. Everything can be re-downloaded again should you lose your hard drive, format, or simply removed a game to make room for other files and later wanted to get it back and like ATM said, game save data will sync in most cases.

How does Half Life 2 sound for a first game??

Suggestions please!

HL2 is dated, but that game is awesome!
It might ruin you for other FPS games though :rofl:

If you're looking for more multiplayer, grab one of the CounterStrike games.

True but it also depends on style of playing people prefer. HL2 is dated but a single player FPS might be an easier stepping stone than a multiplayer competative FPS where there's really not too much direction or instruction. :p

My favorite thing about Steam is the simple fact that removes the clutter that is installation cds or the risk of losing your games. Everything can be re-downloaded again should you lose your hard drive, format, or simply removed a game to make room for other files and later wanted to get it back and like ATM said, game save data will sync in most cases.
That sounds real good. I don't seem to see much in there about the steps used to play a game. Do I have to be signed into Steam all the time I'm playing a game?

That sounds real good. I don't seem to see much in there about the steps used to play a game. Do I have to be signed into Steam all the time I'm playing a game?

I just let Steam run when I start the computer, then when I want to play just go to my library and pick!

I realize it is pretty old but I was thinking like MunkyTOS said about it being a single person game. Someone else had said that it has good directions.

I realize it is pretty old but I was thinking like MunkyTOS said about it being a single person game. Someone else had said that it has good directions.

Oh, it's an amazing game for sure! It'd be great to start on also.
Most games do have some form of a tutorial though, which helps you get acclimated to that individual game.

Even Battlefield/CoD/MoH have a campaign or story mode that's single player, if you want something more recent.

You've gotten a lot of great advice so far! :thup:

One caveat about the original Half Life: the jump crouch - jumping and then while in the air crouching to get inside an opening that is to high to simply crouch and get into. You'll may have to practice that a bit to get it down.

I'm not sure if they removed that from HL2 but I know I struggled with it and my kids have too. We all got it eventually!

You've gotten a lot of great advice so far! :thup:

One caveat about the original Half Life: the jump crouch - jumping and then while in the air crouching to get inside an opening that is to high to simply crouch and get into. You'll may have to practice that a bit to get it down.

I'm not sure if they removed that from HL2 but I know I struggled with it and my kids have too. We all got it eventually!

Oh god no. Crouch jump is very useful I found in Half-Life 2.

Forgot to mention that :-/

Alternatly, turn the gravity down in the dev console.(Cheater :p )

Hi, I downloaded Half Life 2 & started the game & that is as far as I got. HELP

I get to the screen where the guy is saying (welcome to city 17 this is a safe place)
I checked in the options menu for the kb & mouse settings & guess they look ok. All I can seem to do is to move about that screen by moving the mouse on the pad (the mouse buttons don't seem to do anything) kb keys (wsad) do work, space bar works, ctrl works but not much else seems to do anything.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?:bang head

I saw this posted on dealnews:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/2k-essential-collection/

for $19.79. Coupon code "IFDSUM-MERSAL-E15OFF" cuts it to $16.83. That's $7 under the lowest total price we could find for just one of these games elsewhere. It includes Borderlands 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Civilization V, and BioShock Infinite.

A great bundle of games there for a good price for you, including our previously recommended Civ5.

O.K. I've been watching some videos of HL2. I'm making progress, I've been able to get through some rooms but I'm at a point where I need to pick something up & can't seem to figure out how to do it. Some of the videos show helpful hints on the screen as you go along but I don't have them. Does anyone know how to turn them on? Also how do I pick something up & throw things?

Sorry for being so dumb....:shrug:

Back