• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could Nintendo go third party?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VG_Addict

Registered
I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

I don't think it will be flopping once their planned games come out. They sold a ton of units for people supposedly buying for Mario Kart 8 (like me).

I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

You mean where Wii U sales increased over 600% because of one game release? (Mario Kart 8)
With Super Smash Bros. and Legend of Zelda in the pipline, this console is just getting started.

Well unlike the other console manufactures, I ... *think* Nintendo still makes money from every console sold. (ie: they don't sell at a loss)

Someone check me on this, I know it was true at least up to the original Wii, I assume they still are with the WiiU?

So even worst case they can still "coast" for awhile without taking a hit for every console sold (unlike sony and microsoft).

I think gameboy sales are still healthy, but of course that's always under threat from the mobile phone/device market.

The big question always is if Nintendo should go pure software. Sadly you only need to look at what happened to Sega to know that... not until the bitter end.

To put it another way, Nintendo could AT ANY TIME go software only. But... you can only ever do that once, and after that you're done.

I mean, sure it might be great at first - or more likely not! Who know's what games would show up on what platform? Sure Metroid Prime on PC with REAL mouselook would be a wet dream for myself, but you know deep inside that wouldn't be what you get. You'd get like Pikmin for Xbox or something that ... while nice misses the mark completly.

Then they'd get run into the ground like Sega / Sonic Team. Then (uuuughhh) in 3-5 years whatever the then current stockholder-return driven software mill would buy them (so say, EA or 2005 Vivendi) would purchase/hostile overbid and buy Nintendo.

Yea, also likely before that happened Miyamoto and the true core 1st party teams of Nintendo would probably have fled by then. If not they'd get martyred Will Wright style.

Also note that imagine patent-trolling with Nintendo's patents.

I could be totally wrong, but... ehh.

Nintendo can always go software "later" if they "have" to. Else yea, after the new/awesome wore off after a year or two, they'd just be another dev house like Sega has become and... then meh who cares 5 years after that.

I figure they survive by people like me. I currently only own a Nintendo Wii U for one reason: It is what my kids want. While I can't figure out how they manage to make money doing so, it is the only logical explanation to me. It seems to be working so I wouldn't think they will change to software. If they would switch to offering more third party software titles on their consoles, that is a different story. That I could see at some point in the future.

The DS is what's making Nintendo money hand over fist. They dominated the portable gaming market for decades and that's why they are still around and likely continue to produce future consoles.

Nintendo plays it safe and will always rely on their flagship titles to make them money just like how Disney does it with their products.

The DS is what's making Nintendo money hand over fist. They dominated the portable gaming market for decades and that's why they are still around and likely continue to produce future consoles.

Nintendo plays it safe and will always rely on their flagship titles to make them money just like how Disney does it with their products.

They are making a lot of money through the 3DS, but they've now gone multiple quarters without turning a profit (first time in a very very very long time).

They are making a lot of money through the 3DS, but they've now gone multiple quarters without turning a profit (first time in a very very very long time).

This quarter is going to break that streak.

I thought Nintendo had a great E3 presentation this year. They showed off some beautiful looking titles that look fun to me (Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Splatoon, new Zelda). Plus the rumors are they are working on both a new 2D platforming Metroid game and a new 3D Metroid game. Also, Mario Kart 8 has a pretty good deal going right now where you get a free downloadable game with purchase, not some >$10 indie game like you'd see on WiiWare/eShop but rather a top-rated title like NSMBU, Wind Waker HD, or Pikmin 3. I was sour on the Wii U too until I actually tried it out and I enjoyed it. Really.

My problem with Nintendo ever since the N64 has been that they just dont do cutting edge hardware. The N64 couldnt push as many polygons as playstation could. It couldnt render as high resolution textures either. On the bright side, N64 didnt suffer from the juddering and vibrating polygons the playstation did... but it was still a less powerful system for 3D gaming than the Playstation.

Then comes the gamecube. About on par with a PS2. Better in some respects, worse in others... but much worse than Xbox. And then what do they do... they overclock the Gamecube, change the controller, and call it Wii. That was when Nintendo lost my support. You cant what is basically the same level of graphical power two generations in a row. Theyve done it again with Wii U. this time we get a system on Par with a Playstation 3, 6 years later. Of course Nintendo has been making money on its hardware ever since wii. They use 5+ year old hardware! Its criminal what they do in my eyes.

Look at 3DS. My iPhone has more graphical power than a 3DS does. Is that acceptable... not to me. JM2C. Also the battery life on 3DS is totally unacceptable. I had one briefly but sold it because of this.

Why do they need more processing power on the console or handheld? They seem to do fine with what they have.

My problem with Nintendo ever since the N64 has been that they just dont do cutting edge hardware. The N64 couldnt push as many polygons as playstation could. It couldnt render as high resolution textures either. On the bright side, N64 didnt suffer from the juddering and vibrating polygons the playstation did... but it was still a less powerful system for 3D gaming than the Playstation.

Then comes the gamecube. About on par with a PS2. Better in some respects, worse in others... but much worse than Xbox. And then what do they do... they overclock the Gamecube, change the controller, and call it Wii. That was when Nintendo lost my support. You cant what is basically the same level of graphical power two generations in a row. Theyve done it again with Wii U. this time we get a system on Par with a Playstation 3, 6 years later. Of course Nintendo has been making money on its hardware ever since wii. They use 5+ year old hardware! Its criminal what they do in my eyes.

Look at 3DS. My iPhone has more graphical power than a 3DS does. Is that acceptable... not to me. JM2C. Also the battery life on 3DS is totally unacceptable. I had one briefly but sold it because of this.

You're the minority.

I bought a Wii U because of the games for it, not because I wanted cutting edge graphics. If I want bleeding edge technology I have my PC.
The exclusive titles are awesome. Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Smash Brothers, etc etc etc.

People buy Nintendo consoles because they make the only true family console. It is safe for kids to play almost any game on it, causing less worry for parents.

They're cheap! I got my Wii U with a game for $300. 3DS's are easily found in the <$150 range.
You know why they're cheap? Because they aren't on the bleeding edge of technology.
This makes them more accessible to a wider audience (read: parents of children, every cent helps when cash is tight and your kid only wants one thing (Wii U/3DS))

Here's where it gets even better.
The best selling game on the Wii U has over 4 million copies sold.
Mario Kart 8 sold over 1 million copies IN ONE WEEKEND.
The Xbox One and PS4 both have their best selling games under 2 million copies.

As-is, the Wii U platform is coming to life.
Why, you might ask? Because it is pure enjoyment.

As-is, the Wii U platform is coming to life.
Why, you might ask? Because it is pure enjoyment.

They should hire you for their advertising division :rofl::bday:

I find it unacceptable to for a company to push outdated technology in a new product. Look how cheap an ipod touch is (comparatively speaking vs other apple products). They're quite powerful, those ipods. If you Nintendified that hardware into a Gameboy type console, the results would be fantastic, without excessively increasing the price vs a 3DS. You could ditch the 16GB of NAND, go with SD, and slap a fat battery on it and it would be the ultimate gaming system. Nintendo is just greedy with how much $$ they want to make off each unit of hardware they sell.

They should hire you for their advertising division :rofl::bday:

I find it unacceptable to for a company to push outdated technology in a new product. Look how cheap an ipod touch is (comparatively speaking vs other apple products). They're quite powerful, those ipods. If you Nintendified that hardware into a Gameboy type console, the results would be fantastic, without excessively increasing the price vs a 3DS. You could ditch the 16GB of NAND, go with SD, and slap a fat battery on it and it would be the ultimate gaming system. Nintendo is just greedy with how much $$ they want to make off each unit of hardware they sell.

Look at it this way (using the Wii U as the example):
- it runs the current TV standard (1080p)
- all the games run buttery smooth
- very low power consumption
- very low heat output
- CHEAP

IT ISN'T MEANT TO BE A POWERHOUSE, it is simply meant to entertain. And it does that flawlessly.

Call it greedy if you'd like, but Microsoft and Sony both lose money on every console sold. Nintendo breaks even, and edges toward a bit of a profit.

I will call it greedy. Imagine how good Mario Kart would look with the power of a PS4...

It already looks amazing, what's your point?
The game isn't blurry, all the animations and textures you want are there, it doesn't NEED more graphics power.

Theocnoob said:

You should have your vision checked by an eye doctor.

I got the Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle the other day. Great game, great system. It also came with the choice of 4 free cames, I chose Pikmin 3. I really like the game pad as well. I tend to use it more than the TV itself.

Back