• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating an HP Pavilion DV6113US

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've got an old 2006 era HP Pavilion laptop that I'm trying to breathe a bit of life into. It has gone though a lot. 2 different laptop keyboards. BIOS hacked to allow a 802.11n wireless card. HD switched out for an SSD.

I'm going to switch out the 40GB SSD for a 128GB SSD. I've been thinking about instead of cloning the drive, doing a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64bit (I've got a full retail version I'm not using at the moment). There are drivers for it from HP.

My question is, is it worth it to instead try to get Win7Pro on it? I've had good luck using Vista drivers when Win7 drivers aren't available.

Not doing to be doing heavy duty stuff on the laptop. Mainly office, internet, etc..

It has a Turion64 X2 TL-50 chip and 2 GB RAM.

I suppose I can try them both and see which is better, but I'd really rather not take the time if someone has had a similar experience.

Well, assuming the drive I bought shows up today, I'll try Win 7.

If you have a copy of 8.1 I would try that. Almost all drivers are built in.
It has a much lower system requirement than Vista or 7 and should run better for you :)

Sorry, I should have gotten Win 8 when it was cheap, but I currently don't own any copies.

SSD arrived today, so I've got Win 7 installed, and updates are running now. Before installing any drivers from HP the touchpad works and the wireless card works. I doubt I'm going to have any problem. seams reasonably zippy too.

It does run a bit warm, but I keep it on a 2 fan laptop cooler. I also tend to use it with an external keyboard.

The only driver that didn't install with windows update was the chipset driver. Once that was installed, the device manager show no issues. Boot up from handing off from the BIOS to the OS is 25 seconds to the welcome prompt, and 40 seconds total to the desktop.

Btw, it worked great, other than the fact my cell tethering was very, VERY slow. Seems the local T-mobile tower was having a problem and nobody got much better than E speed. If they got anything at all.

Back