• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, that is what I pulled my information from (except from our review on the front page).

As you should clearly be able to read, there is a new TIM, and additional capacitors as I said already.

The 'packaging' is referring to the PCB and caps, while the thermals is the new TIM.

Yes, that is what I pulled my information from (except from our review on the front page).

As you should clearly be able to read, there is a new TIM, and additional capacitors as I said already.

The 'packaging' is referring to the PCB and caps, while the thermals is the new TIM.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4790k_processor_review,3.html
QUOTE:The Core i7-4790K has been improved both on packaging and thermals. There are a lot more capacitors packed onto the processor for smoother power delivery to the die as well. Intel has embedded what they call Next Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material (NGPTIM) which works with existing cooling solutions.

All over the net clearly states packaging, thermals, capacitors,

I've been looking around the net a cant find what packaging materials update is for.

http://www.techspot.com/news/57207-intel-devils-canyon-core-i7-4790k-cpu-review.html
QUOTE:After last month's underwhelming Haswell refresh, Intel says overclockers can rejoice over the newest revision of its fourth-generation Core processors, codenamed Devil's Canyon, which actually promises a few improvements on the CPU side of things including updated packaging materials, more capacitors for smoother power deliver, as well as a 'Next Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material' (NGPTIM).

They would not say packaging materials if they would of just said capacitors and TIM.
A capacitor is not a material.

I am not going by how reviewers interpret the Intel slide. I am going by what the Intel slide says.

There is an improved PCB, caps, and TIM. The PCB the die sits on has little to nothing to do with the the new TIM. I interpret the slide and 'packaging' as the PCB and CAPS.

EDIT: However if I were to use a reviewers take, this is what Anand says (groups package as I do):
Aside from the base frequency increases, enthusiasts will want to know if the rumor regarding an upgraded package on the CPU is true. I can confirm that Intel has officially made the following changes:

The first upgrade is a new thermal interface material (TIM), which Intel is stating as a ‘next-generation polymer’...

...For the extreme overclockers using sub-zero cooling, Intel has reworked part of the power delivery around the FIVR to give a cleaner power delivery. Note that none of these changes suggest that any specific change to the underlying silicon die was made...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8079/...erclockable-pentium-i74790k-i54690k-and-g3258

Regardless, your sources or mine, the package, no matter how you slice it, has nothing to do with cooling as you originally stated (how we got into this discussion). That's all the new TIM and perhaps lowering the IHS lid a bit (unconfirmed).

Last edited:
I am not going by how reviewers interpret the Intel slide. I am going by what the Intel slide says.

There is an improved PCB, caps, and TIM. The PCB the die sits on has little to nothing to do with the the new TIM. I interpret the slide and 'packaging' as the PCB and CAPS.

I was just thinking the packaging update is they lowered the IHS with thinner adhesive or raised the CPU Chip higher so it is closer to the IHS.

I found one site that said Intel would not disclose what the updated packaging materials is.

I was just thinking the packaging update is they lowered the IHS with thinner adhesive or raised the CPU Chip higher so it is closer to the IHS.

I found one site that said Intel would not disclose what the updated packaging materials is.

The ENTIRE CPU is referred to as a "package".
So, when they updated the "packaging" it means anything on the CPU that isn't inside the die. (read: IHS, PCB, capacitors; NOT THE TIM)

So your both agreeing with me for once, maybe they changed things in the package besides the capacitor's and TIM. (unconfirmed)

Get me off this carousel already...

Original talking point:
they made some packing change with the TIM for cooling

Answer:
The 'package' change I think you are referring to is the PCB change where they added more caps to help with overclocking it really doesn't do anything for cooling.

The ENTIRE CPU is referred to as a "package".
So, when they updated the "packaging" it means anything on the CPU that isn't inside the die. (read: IHS, PCB, capacitors; NOT THE TIM)

Unless links are provide to other changes that Intel listed, I'm afraid you are barking up the wrong tree on the PCB/CAPS making a difference in temps as that is the only thing we know for FACT that Intel has changed. Anything else is speculative at best.

so far

5 with 1.4v ok for booting and light loads. temps prohibit attempting more vcore with significant loads.
4.8 with 1.32ish easily benchable, prime 90+ temps.
4.7 with 1.285 prime stable 30 mins, temps 88C max, will run that during day to watch temps.

4.6 with 1.25v prime stable 13 hrs (overnight), max temps 82C, on larger ffts temps 58-60C.
4.6 with 1.24v prime stable 90 mins, max temps 79C, need to run longer.
4.6 needs btwn 1.23 and 1.25 for prime stable, 1.22 crashed.

4.7 and ?1.285 will probably be 24/7 max, temps too high to try 4.8, would have to delid, not keen on double tim with each breakdown.

4600_125v_13hrsP.jpg

I doubt RGE is on water. There is no way he is hitting those temps w/ water. Id bet more something along the lines of a CM212.

koolance 380i waterblock, same 280 and 360 rads. 25C ambient, 30C max water temps.

temps are good 58-60C for most part, then hit some ffts with ? some newer instructional stuff, then temps up to 79-80c.

If I use older version of prime or certain runs of ffts, temps stay 60 and below.

after I finish with last prime run at 4.7, will see what I can and cant bench 4.8 to 5 with.

I was shocked to see it that high as well on water. 90+ @ 1.4v 4.8Ghz? I go 4.9Ghz 1.45v on my 4770K (360 and 240 sized rads only thing in the loop)... must not be as leaky?

That is also on looping Cinebench not P95 though so, not apples to apples.

It is all about small ffts. someone on oc.net just posted same. 70C on large ffts, 94C on small ffts. Or you can prime 25.1 and avoid avx, etc and not get as high temps.

You can see my load temps are 57c avg running large ffts. Over 20C difference between large and small ffts in blend.

lol...yeah my cpu either is leaky or tim1 challenged.

1.3v, 4.7gh, cinebench R15 single run was max temps 65C.

lot of people are using tests other than prime with avx/small ffts because temp issue though.

Seems to defeat the purpose of the stress tests, skipping the hardest part. I suppose if you are not using those instruction sets it doesn't matter, but who really knows?

Back