• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to remove case bolts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

earthdick

I want to put a blow hole on the top of my case to expell air. I just checked my case and the top panel is bolted on with four small bolts. What is the best way to remove the bolts without damaging the case? Drilling them out, or shearing them off? Any other suggestions?

Why do you need to take the top off? empty the case and get to work! May I suggest a holesaw?

I took mine off because it helped to get some wood beneath the metal when I was using my hole saw.

I think you are referring to rivets, not bolts? If so, drill them out. Use a bit slightly larger than the hole in the rivet. They should drill out nicely.

flounder43 said:
I took mine off because it helped to get some wood beneath the metal when I was using my hole saw.

I think you are referring to rivets, not bolts? If so, drill them out. Use a bit slightly larger than the hole in the rivet. They should drill out nicely.

You're right, they are rivets, I'll try and drill them out. Can I replace them with screws when I'm done with the top panel? Or do I have to rivet it back in place? Thanks.

earthdick said:

You're right, they are rivets, I'll try and drill them out. Can I replace them with screws when I'm done with the top panel? Or do I have to rivet it back in place? Thanks.
Get a self-threading machine screw that's just slightly wider than the hole you drilled. You can recognize them because they narrow to a sort of a point at the front. Screw it in and unscrew it a few times to make a good set of threads.

Then get some short machine screws of the same size and screw them in. Then you're done. Not only that, you'll be able to remove the top easily if you have to do it again.

Also check to make sure that the added height of the screw heads doesn't interfere with your case side panels or anything else.

Good Luck!

I just used an old Exacto blade and gently tapped off the heads of the rivets. Very easy and no metal filings in the case from drilling them out. Thanks!

earthdick said:
I want to put a blow hole on the top of my case to expell air. I just checked my case and the top panel is bolted on with four small bolts. What is the best way to remove the bolts without damaging the case? Drilling them out, or shearing them off? Any other suggestions?

If they're bolts just unscrew 'em. But I think maybe you're talking rivets here, which is easy too. I got my pop-rivet gun at home depot. I got the deluxe model which cost a whopping i don't remember, but it was less than $20. I'm sure they have plainer ones for maybe $10. the rivets come in various diameters and lengths, try to match the hole size as best you can and a good rule of thumb is to not use any longer a rivet than you need. If you really want to do a good job, drill a clean hole so the rivet is tight , you'll have to press hard to get it set in there before you pop it.

For my aluminum boat I had to be sure and use aluminum rivets, because of seawater and all, but for your case you could use steel if you like. Steel is harder to pop. I don't know if it matters or not that you match the material of your case to the material of the rivet, but I think it does not matter.

Back