• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another win 2k prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
well i have the system in my sig and i formatted last night and loaded everything up and everything was working great. After several reboots last night to ensure all drivers and hardware was working i went to bed. When i got up this morning i turned it on and chose the 2000 from the boot list (98se is second choice) and right before it finished loading it gave me a blue screen and it said ...registry error..unable to load ...system32/config/software.. either it or the alt file may be moved or corrupt. Well i know the file is there because i can see it in 98 and the alt file is there too. So iguess that means it is corrupt. Any suggestions?

hola soccer,

you wouldn't happen to have 3x 256mb sticks of ram in there would you?

if so, are they registered or not?

i have a kt7a-r and also had corruptions when i used 3 sticks of memory. i later found out that you need registered ram to use all 3 sticks. once i took out the third 256 stick, my problems went away.

man, sucked to have to waste my ram.

actually i have a 512 stick and a 256 stick all registered. Thanks for the suggestion though

I just had to reinstall Win2k because of that error... I did all I could before resorting to reinstall... Recovery console yielded no results... I checked that the file (D:\WINNT\System32\CONFIG\software) was there, made a copy of it as software.alt, no luck... I learned to NOT install any leaked service packs, because my problems started after installing sp3rc3.51, loads of BSODs, etc. I hadn't had any BSODs for a long time...

I did have the same problems when I was last time installing w2k on the same box, though.

Now it's back to scouring the latest drivers from the net... Another day wasted because of faulty MS software :mad:

I believe it was some beta program messing with the Windows files and screwed them up..

When I was on Windows 98 I installed a beta MSN Messenger.. Lead me to a format :(

Most of the problems that I have had with missing files or corrupt files in 2K, have been due to being too "aggressive" with memory settings or FSB. So far have had it happen twice with 2K both times I was playing with the FSB to get that little extra. The system has appeared stable for a short time, then flipped out just when I was getting comfortable.

Back