• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H on the XBox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ultra

Registered
Must be nice if I can use my Xbox for folding when I'm not playing games. It has ethernet connection so sending/receiving WU's can be done.

Wait for someone to figure out how to put Linux on it, then it should work. I wanna do that with a cheap Dreamcast, which already has Linux ported to it. It shouldn't take long with Xbox, because it uses a x86 cpu.

I dunno if a Linux XBox port will be that soon in coming because (correct me if 'm wrong) the XBox may have x86 architecture, but the inner wokings of the system as a whole are way different to a normal PC in terms of memory-, HDD- and CPU-access. This will make it difficult or impossible to port any OS to it, even a highly configurable one like Linux. It may end up that the whole kernal would need to be re-written to support XBox.(hope they add PS,PS2,Dreamcast etc in as well :D )

Ah well, we can all hope for it though. Keep checking your news sites - maybe someone will release something!
:burn:

I'm pretty sure some people will port Linux to XBox... It's been ported to PS2 too... Since it's PC based, it'll propably use PCI devices, so it shouldn't be nearly as hard as making the PS2 port.

Sure they would. Why not? :)
They've ported it to almost everything computer controlled already. I think the gas pump I used today ran Linux. ;) It didn't give me a BSOD. Then again it happily took my money and tried to get me to buy some more stuff and told me that I could not say anything bad about MS while driving a car with the fuel that I purchased and I had to call in to get a special code to make the car start so I suppose that it could have been winCE ;)

Actually, I have read something that said that the Xbox is going to be released as a linux compatible version at some point in the future.

dont know where or id go look it up to check......

thats what you say, but im serious, its either that, or linux for the ps2 when it gets a harddrive soon, i cant really remember......

SHould not be that hard to either port linux or at least a version of folding for the XBOX.

I lost a big long post I had written, but basically I think it should be fairly easy or at least doable.

Any good links for linux dreamcast info? Or just general dreamcast hardware mods? I was thinking of picking up a dreamcast anyway, but if it could help me out of the 170s in team position, I might even make more of an effort. Well my new MOBO and system will certainly help me, but any extra bit would be helpful. I hope to add a new box before Christmas.

I think that if an XBOX version of folding can be made, it could really add some serious computing power. Perhaps we ought to bug the people at MS or their XBOX website. Maybe even the Stanford team.

yes correct me if i'm wrong, but i highly doubt that micronuts would ever allow any possible way of letting their competitors OS ever run on the xbox. it would be completely against everything. it'd be different if it was a company that had nothing to do with MS(i.e.- sony) but i doubt the possibility of it happening. it would be phat if someone figured out a way to do it though...

jeff

What MS wants

Is irrelavent(I mean I am sure they want people to think their products are good). I bet it could be done by going in through the network cable. You could probably wipe the os on it fairly easy. At least if you know what you are doing. I don't, but it should be a piece of cake to somebody really knowledgable.

<off topic>
I will have to say that they were smart in getting Bungie to design their big launch title Halo. Overall it is a well designed game. It has a good plot for a FPS and no real weak areas of execution. Only thing I can complain about is that towards the end you go through some levels you had fought through before.
</off topic>

But I think it would be fairly easy. The reason being is that most the stuff is not totally proprietary. It is either off the shelf or based on off the shelf stuff. Yes there may well be some security to try and prevent wiping the OS, and we all know how well MS does security in their products. One worry I have is that viruses will have a field day when the XBox goes online.

To come back to topic, I think that if a dreamcast can have a linux ported to it, then the XBox should be a piece of cake to modify into a folding machine. Though I would prefer it to be non destructive to the gaming capabilities. Say for example if you were able to partion off a gig or so for linux/folding purposes. With some form of boot manager so that the main xbox continues to function.

Last edited:
sfa ok said:
I doubt MS would release a product that is advertised as Linux compatible...

Microsoft does not make the x-box. Flextronics makes them for ms. which means ms does not have direct control of what can be put in the box.....know what I mean??.....tr

This is waaay off topic but....
I came this ---><--- far away from buying an XBOX today, but wasn't sure if I wanted it. Amazon.com has package setups and they *had* them for sale. I ordered in time and then canceled my order, because I wasn't sure if it was worth the money yet.
How is the XBOX? I know that the graphics are unbelievable, but I was wondering whether the games are interesting enough to keep your attention and whether it was stable. Also, I heard people complain about the controller but I tried one out in Best Buy(hockey) and I liked the controls.
Too bad they're not making a lot of games that can take advantage of a 1.4 Thunderbird with a GeForce2/3/Ti. I wouldn't even think of buying an XBOX then.

lol.. Still waiting for some more dual boards to come out. Then the folding power will be increased, one box at a time :) The XBOX is going to have to wait. I don't think I want to buy one just yet. MS usually has trouble with their first release of anything. The XBOX may be different or it may be more of the same. They are pretty nice though. Maybe wait for a PS3 and hope that it plays PS2 games. :)
What I need is a T1. My cable connection appears to be flaking out again. In and out which means that it could pretty much disappear soon. If there's no milestone updates then that's why. :(

XBOX games(more and more OT)

Halo is an awesomely well designed game. I'd have to give it a 90-95% if I were reviewing it by PC Gamer standards(yeah I know it is not a pc game, but it is the one game magazine I usually get). Maybe a little short, but the multiplayer options help a little. Now I just need to have some friends buy some xboxs for some real fun.

The sound is real nice. The lighting effects are awesome. Many times I have cussed the flashlight, because it does not have enough light, but it is very realistic. Perhaps the most realistic effect in the game. The force feedback is scaled properly for each weapon and explosion. The cut scenes help add to the plot and give you more involvement.

So far no stability problems and the controller is better than I thought. However I have heard of problems possibly related to NFL Fever. I don't own that one, so I can't say. However I have never seen any hints of trouble. Except those big heavily armoured mothers with that huge cannon for an arm. You are not always on a tank when you see them, and they about call for a tank. Fortunately you don't see them that often.

Kick a$$

Excellent news. It is step one of the folding XBOX equation.

Does anybody have links to other sources of info?

Of course I should stop being lazy and come up with links like this http://www.xboxgw.com/

It was third down on google. They have a forum, but I am too lazy at this time to register, but when I do I shall ask about the folding project.

Back