• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

answer to the obvious :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mydosaysplease

Registered
my daughters computer (shes 7 yrs old) was having a hang up and she "helped" by powering down by the rear power supply switch to wait for me to come get it to boot later. But this is what ended up happening the wattage got switched while on :( I now have 4 red lights on the "d bracket" usb diagnostic leds. the question is this, is the cpu fried? or is there hope? Ihave been avoiding messing with it because I thought it was fried before I looked up the codes now I have looked up the code and it refers to cpu :(
msi board, 2.4 ghz pentium chip. I would post more specific specs but have a feeling board/cpu are going to go bye bye now.

just hoping that an alternate opinion may say otherwise. as title implies I think SOL

but it was given to her to learn computing and even though I know that switching wattage while on is a bad idea I did not know what it would do so she helped educate us both yes its bad but now we know its very very bad
oh well, your input is appreciated. and the upside is she will get to watch me build her another rig the downside is they get watch me build another rig. :) I love building these things and they dont understand it but hey you know what its like right

mydosaysplease said:
the upside is she will get to watch me build her another rig the downside is they get watch me build another rig. :) I love building these things and they dont understand it but hey you know what its like right

YES LOL!!! I love building computers and that is the upside the downside is
$$$ why dont u do what my dad does and say YOU WANT A NEW COMPUTER YOU PAY FOR IT!!!

:) in an extremely loud and screaming fashion lol but yea that this is fried my than fries!!!

sorry bout your luck

oh no if she pays for it, well that would be worse! $.25 for cleaning their rooms and everything, you know at that rate itll be a long time and theyd be bugging to earn it. as is the chuck e cheese bank is enough and that is 30$.
I couldnt handle a seperate piggy bank for a computer.
besides I have spare parts, two extra mobos and an extra p4,etc, etc... everytime I get a new whatever part I say Ill keep the old just incase I see a local in need of said part but this stuff always seem to come up before I go checking on others wants. mostly no one would want something thats over 4 years old anyway. part of it is for just in case.

Your referring to the power switch on the PSU?

I can't imagine that frying the cpu. Dorking the OS sure, maybe, but how would that hurt the hardware?

See if your mobo manual or the MSI site has the info to reset your cmos. That will clear out any borking you may have had and restore the mobo to its original setting.

Whats the Mobo model?

Last edited:
A little off topic but...

I have an over clocked Pentium D 935 running at 3.61 Ghz it runs idle at about 32-37c. Do you think I can OC it a bit more and is it better than the 2.4 and 2.66 Core 2 Duo? Thanks.

dfonda: hmm I gotta crack the case open to refresh my recollection. but the code on the usb bracket is 4 red leds. put that diagnostic piece in when I originally built it, mostly because I snagged a pci device for my systemand did not have a plate to cover the opening so I probably just leftit in to get two more usb ports. Ill post some specs in a few min.

note all the other computers including her came about from upgrades to my own system

Iam going to try reseting jic just involves a jumper worth a shot now that its open. hehe the wifes already going "just dont spend a bunch of money on it" once she saw me crack the case open. She probably could tell that if I wasnt upset then.......

"Your referring to the power switch on the PSU?" OHhhhh and just reread dfonda's no not the power switch but the wattage selector . Instinct says very bad to flip when on and I beleive that it was on 115v when she clicked it over to 230v talk about a surge.

but hey learn from others tragedies or mistakes right
what should everyone take from this altering switches when you electronics are on could junk your gadget ;) . ESD, bad. sudden cange in current just as bad.
If I figure which indivual part was fried Ill post it. but I think mobo and or cpu toast. and clearing cmos did nada. but if you turn the sound up you can scare the dogs now.

Thanks for the welcome. Ive looked through the site several times to learn how to "educate myself " in pc's throught the yrs but never had an absolute sys tem failure, with lights that told me "yep yer screwed". In the back of my mind I thought hey someone may suggest something you hadnt thought of...
Ive seen post that sound horrible but some occasionally end up being as simple as cmos battery or reset bios or is your monitor plugged in you know that sort of stuff.

BUT I knew immediately when I saw those 4 red leds.

the good news is in addition to a bunch of extra parts (enough to bulid possibly two more if I got a few extras) we found out Grandma will no longer need her emachine also a p4 with xp. so yeah its not a great rig but less worry in its demise if it so happens. and the kids can still have their own pc to do the learning software on. you know those programs install all sorts of headache to a machine, better theirs than mine or my wifes Mac.
Id swear sometimes that stuff acts like a virus ;)

Last edited:
usually the switch to change the voltage from 115v to 230v is really hard to flip. like, hard enough i doubt a 7 year old could do it. i need a small flat head to flip mine. are you SURE she just didn't flip the power? have you tried to reset the cmos?

you know I would agree on most power supplies but not this one. its easy to move like a sliding switch. and easier for her small fingers go figure. she told me what happened because I asked what happened when she came in to say the computers not working but it was the comment about forgetting which switch was the right one and then saying she turned off the red one because the front one wasnt working.
I was like what red button. its a black rocker. but it was that weird noise the red leds upon trying to turn it on that led to OK what red switch? a pointing finger and the rest is history

its a power supply scrounged from another nonworking unit. I got a bunch of power supplies for some time I was aquireing junk computers that the local shop couldnt easily repair and with patience and a lot of swapping, soldering in one case Id get a working part that I could verify worked by swapping. but the original reason was to do case mods. which I have little to no tallent for. more like case mutilation. but I can paint them real good just not adept at modding.
and of course with that many spare parts I would be like hey all I need is a mobo or a hard drive and I got another computer. but its not really that easy especially when youve only recently mastered builds and are using parts from a proven faulty system but some were just too old too be of any valuelots p2's and p3's and out of it all really only good stuff usually were dvd/ cd rom drives and case for consistancy the rest would be luck of them missing the obvious. like a bad solder point that was lotto I tell you.

ha! luck of the gods took it apart and replaced with spare but cheapo mobo and a 1.7 ghz p4 chip and booted yeah!
will keep the fried stuff and when feeling manic continuity test it till I find the fries that go with the shake :)

overall what did this cost me wellllll as I looked at the stuff in the case I realized its mostly my first gaming rig from around 4-5 yrs ago. 1500 dollars
but its got an aptiva case and its original power supply now because I upgraded mobos and chip a couple years ago and used the parts to build a spare that the kids could bang on.
then they had a nack for locking up systems or hacking it into not working by keystrokes many reinstalls later just got eem one to play the leapstart games and thaat blasted lego island that acts like a virus on my system

where did this extra stuff come from well a 100 goodwill find dell pc that would not power on. talked manager into 25 dollars since it looked like potential dumpster item. so even thouhg I was sol with it last go around its mobo and cpu seem ok now

and the funny thing is I cant change power supplies in this case way its desigined very difficult to find a fit. wish I kept the ugly dell case now. so anyway I still got that sloppy wattage switch.
Im thinking duct tape over it even though they are not even turning of the other one now since they think that itll break if they turn it off wrong.
its a p2 so Im suprised it still even works with out issues

Back