• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6420 Conroe's available!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well look at it like this say you get the q6600 just for folding, you run it at stock speed, tdp is 105watts. now you run 2 c2d's each with a tdp of 65 that is extra 25watts of heat being dumped into the room. just to run 4 clients for distributed computing.

@JWS
hehe i think you miss read his post... he said distributed computing, not distributing company. unless im not following something...could be either but then im still tired....

Evilsizer said:
well look at it like this say you get the q6600 just for folding, you run it at stock speed, tdp is 105watts. now you run 2 c2d's each with a tdp of 65 that is extra 25watts of heat being dumped into the room. just to run 4 clients for distributed computing.

Man, I like the way you figure Evilsizer, so in other words it's more energy efficient to fold with a quad than 2 C2D's (gots to save them trees or fishies or whatever in energy conservation by buy buying a quad core cpu :clap: , plus you save on wear and tear on your air conditioner if you have one, I don't)

jws2346 said:
Man, I like the way you figure Evilsizer, so in other words it's more energy efficient to fold with a quad than 2 C2D's (gots to save them trees or fishies or whatever in energy conservation by buy buying a quad core cpu :clap: , plus you save on wear and tear on your air conditioner if you have one, I don't)

yea thats what im looking at ... the other way i figure it is the extra money used for the quad would in some cases equal that second C2D rig. to me it comes down to size... size ....size....1 case/psu/mobo/hd instead of 2. in the end the quad system would use less power even with a 105watt TDP. Going from a dual core netburst to quad core core 2 the TPD isnt that much higher, irc TPD for some of the 9x line was what 89-95 watts... now we get 2 more cores with 8mb's l2 only at 105watts.

Looks good but I'm fine with my 6600 and 4300. I'm interested to see how these will OC since the newer Conroe's have been pretty horrible.

Suprchargd said:
Looks good but I'm fine with my 6600 and 4300. I'm interested to see how these will OC since the newer Conroe's have been pretty horrible.

if you are refering to the new e6400's, e6300's, and e4300's then you mean "the allendales are horrible." the e6320 and the e6420 will be the "newer conroes", and I'd suspect they will overclock better than the allendales.

nd4spdbh2 said:
intresting... problem is that link you showed us is a link to a non retail processor... and i dont think the e6420 and e6320 are gonna replace the e6400 and e6300... i just think its a way for intel to make more money.

How can you tell the chips from http://www.shopblt.com are non-retail chips?

splat said:
if you are refering to the new e6400's, e6300's, and e4300's then you mean "the allendales are horrible." the e6320 and the e6420 will be the "newer conroes", and I'd suspect they will overclock better than the allendales.

No I meant the newer E6600's I've been hearing about seem to need way more voltage to get to high-3ghz numbers.

The retial chips have a BX in the front of the Part#, the link in the OP is a retail box CPU for example.
BX80557E6420

Back