• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for Ivy Bridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Briksins

Registered
Hey everyone!

Im trying to figure out how much power would i need for my future system, but all online PSU calculators always missing something, or it doesnt have ivy bridge new CPUs in list or it doesn't have latest video for PCIe 3

so the hardware im planning to by would be:

CPU: Core i7 3770k x1
Mob: Asus V Pro x1
Video: GTX 680 (Gigabyte OC - mod: GV-N680OC-2GD) x1
RAM: DDR3 - 2000GHz - CL9 4x4GB = 16GB total
HDD: 2x2TB 7200rpm, 64mb (Seg. B.)
SSD: 240GB (mod: CSSD-F240GBGT-BK) x1
DVD: x1
+ about 8 devices on USB

how much would i need PSU? dont want to go for big one to reduce power consumtion, but need to have some power
im planning to overclock CPU but not much from native 3.5 to max 4GHz

I would get a decent 600W power supply and you will be just fine. Ivy Bridge uses less power than Sandy Bridge and the newer video cards also have a lower TDP than the older generations as well.

500-600W would be perfect with normal overclocking of both CPU and GPU. Choose a quality one from the PSU guide we have here. ;)

Thank you guys, than ill go for 650W just in case :) extra 50W will not make big difference :) thnx god its not any more 850W+ as it was with GTX 5XX family

It really wasnt that on the 580 either... I ran one for a while with a 560W PSU that didnt flinch.. even overclocked both CPU and GPU and it was well. BUT these do use less power for more performance!

You know, it seems like we don't have a lot of recommended PSUs on the list for that wattage range despite there being a lot of well qualified models out there. It makes it look like no one uses 500-600w PSUs. Maybe that's why everyone thinks they'll need a 750w+ unit. Can we start adding some? Seasonic, Corsair, and others have some good candidates. I added a post in the sticky...

i had i case that i build PC on request with 700W (don't remember what kind of graphic did i put inside) it was working fin in windows and web, but once u start playing the PC was going on restart, i changed PSU on 800W and forget about this problem

so i thin it actually was that bad with previous generation of the graphic from nVidia, now yes it is much better

i had i case that i build PC on request with 700W (don't remember what kind of graphic did i put inside) it was working fin in windows and web, but once u start playing the PC was going on restart, i changed PSU on 800W and forget about this problem

so i thin it actually was that bad with previous generation of the graphic from nVidia, now yes it is much better

It really isn't that bad with the previous generation.

It is more likely that your power supply was bad rather than the GPU. My 580s in SLI overclocked with an overclocked sandy bridge would pull about 650W (measured with a kill-a-watt) under load during benchmarks.

Last edited:
hmmm actually yes, it might be the case that PSU was factory faulty...

Well, if you're looking for a high efficiency unit at a reasonable price its hard to go past the 600W FSP Aurum Gold for $94.99. It's cheap and cheerful.

Not a bad unit though it's ripple suppression isn't great though it is within ATX spec. Basically a good PSU unless you intend to go for a high overclock as the ripple may affect stability at that point.

If you just want something cheap and don't care about efficiency then take a look at a Corsair Builder Serues CX600 for $69.99

Back