• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA Closing 120+ Stores! Huge Savings!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stereo555 said:
Went and scowered the whole store today , just for sh*t & giggles (the heck of it) ; and found NADA worth a poop except a BFG 1000 watt'er PSU for 20% off : $300 -$60 = $240 (Neweggs price $288.9 -$20 MIR = $268.99) .

Interesting too was all MS/Vista OS software (retail box) was 10% off , with prices reflecting true retail prices (not CrapUsa inflated) . Not bad considering its hard to get ANY deal on Microsoft operating systems .

Yeah Im keeping an eye on Vista prices. I may pick it up if the price comes down more.

stereo555 said:
Went and scowered the whole store today , just for sh*t & giggles (the heck of it) ; and found NADA worth a poop except a BFG 1000 watt'er PSU for 20% off : $300 -$60 = $240 (Neweggs price $288.9 -$20 MIR = $268.99) .

Interesting too was all MS/Vista OS software (retail box) was 10% off , with prices reflecting true retail prices (not CrapUsa inflated) . Not bad considering its hard to get ANY deal on Microsoft operating systems .

Unless you look at DELL. They only have 1 line of Desktops with XP on it now. And a decent setup of that, is like $800. (Tryin to find some for employees here)

They have Razer Mice and Keyboards. Saw the diamoundback, copperhead, and the habu. I'll probably buy some Razer gear. With 5% off now its almost retail price. When its about the 89th day ill raid the place.

mrgoodkat said:
I really cant believe they are closing their Chicago and Schaumburg stores here in Illinois. Both stores were always packed with people, literally.

Something else has to be going on other than just a downsize/realignment. Id bet both those stores were the top money makers in the Midwest if not the majority of the country, we just don't have PC stores out here in great quantity.

Seems like the place you'd want to dig in and hold your ground.

Well we do have a Microcenter near the north side on Elston, and Fry's Electronics is only about 15 miles away from Chicago downtown.

Some of the Best Buy's are somewhat knowledgeable on things, laptop prices are good because they don't do MIR.

darksparkz said:
Well we do have a Microcenter near the north side on Elston, and Fry's Electronics is only about 15 miles away from Chicago downtown.

Some of the Best Buy's are somewhat knowledgeable on things, laptop prices are good because they don't do MIR.

Didn't that Microcenter used to be elec-tek or something like that? We also have 2 tiger directs just southwest of the city. I didn't know about Fry's though, thanks.

I guess I take back what I said. I was just going on the fact that when I built my PC I sure didn't know they were around. Its to bad because I went with what the local small store had in stock.

As far as Best Buy's go I agree. Some seem to have fairly knowledgeable people. The Niles store though, is just pitiful. I grew up in Park Ridge so I used to go there a lot before I moved into the city. Now I think the closest BB is on North Ave.

The old CompUSA I used to go to was on Touhy out near Skokie I think.

Too bad the CompUSA closest to me won't close. One of the managers is a family friend, and he had mentioned that they are the top producer in the nation. :(

well I missed this thread while I was down for a while upgrading my desktop. I'll have to swing by one or two of the Atlanta ones next month when i go down there. I'm surprised they are closing all of the Atlanta locations.

Microcenter is far better than CompUSA anyway when it comes to buying computer parts. They actually have parts, not just flashy electronics.

Mr.DLucey said:
$62.99 at the Egg + $6.13 shipping (Maybe Tax) If you figure in gas to get their and back it's about the same price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130063

Was hoping to see 40%-60% off all ready
dont have to wait 5-7 days and worry bout UPS to destroy something, didnt spend any gas money (was already at Bestbuy next door).. and was $63.. so im fine.

i know newegg had the mobo for the price, which is why i didnt hesitate to spend the money at compusa.

Last edited:
I went to my local CompUSA and spoke with a salesperson, apparently the stores have been sold off to a liquidation company, so everything must go. Like they were selling the shelves.

I found one of the only local stores closing, unfortunatly it is an hour away so i will just be waiting to see when your stores hit the 50%+ mark.

Went the other day, once more to check prices. It looks like compusa repriced their stuff before going to 40% sale. Seriously where will you buy Doom 3 for $49.99

Still not a lot of good deals. The "tech parts" section is discounted 30%, so you can get some decent prices on cooling stuff. Too bad they don't have Scythe or Thermalright. I'd rather see my microcenter go out of business. They have a better parts department.

Just went to a store that was closing that is next door.

Only thing that snagged my attention was a couple of core2 duo boxes in the 30% off locked up area. They had them bumped up to $279 as the regular price, so yer not saving much, but after all is said and done it would be $175 or so.

A little bit cheaper than the egg, but not much.

Looks like $20ish

DorianBrytestar said:
Just went to a store that was closing that is next door.

Only thing that snagged my attention was a couple of core2 duo boxes in the 30% off locked up area. They had them bumped up to $279 as the regular price, so yer not saving much, but after all is said and done it would be $175 or so.

A little bit cheaper than the egg, but not much.

Looks like $20ish

And with "all sales are FINAL" its worth the extra 20$ to buy it from Newegg

While I feel for the rank and file CompUSSR employees the evil suits who run CompUSSR should be tarred and feathered when they finally go bankrupt.

Back