• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price per kh/s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is my thoughts on the 290x's!!!
why not get the best thats out now
they make more money per day and and pay them selves off pretty fast and in the long run will make you more money take up less room and less power connectors and will be worth more than the others when you try to sell them!!
to me yeah the 290x costs more but in the long run its a no brainer! i normally dont use brute force with anything in my life mostly becuz im 5'5 and 140lbs lol but in mining that brute force adds up!!!!

this is my thoughts on the 290x's!!!
why not get the best thats out now
they make more money per day and and pay them selves off pretty fast and in the long run will make you more money take up less room and less power connectors and will be worth more than the others when you try to sell them!!
to me yeah the 290x costs more but in the long run its a no brainer! i normally dont use brute force with anything in my life mostly becuz im 5'5 and 140lbs lol but in mining that brute force adds up!!!!

Not everyone gets a big fat tax return :p

290x's and 290's are way too expensive, and you only get 100Kh extra... Not worth it IMO.

Ninja edit:mad:acuradude

Depends on how much you pay for them, on how much you're willing to pay for your PSU's and if you can stand the noise if you don't feel like spending loads on watercooling or non ref cooling.

Here in Europe, a 280x costs €260 Incl. tax, and a 290x between €460 and €500 for ref designs. Count €550 for a MSI gaming.

3x280x's run on a 850W PSU when undervolted, with powertune -20. In Europe, you pay around €100 for a quality one.
For 3 290x's, you need a 1200W unit (€200 at least), as you have to set the powertune to +10% min to keep your hashrate high.

Not talking about a lot of people (like me), who end up with a card that barely does 20% more (900KH/s) than a 280x (760KH/s) for 80 to 100% more money (here in Europe). Power consumption is roughly 30 to 40% higher as well.

And what about the noise? You need non ref design or watercooling (or be deaf an single, lol!)

Nope, big no go for me...

well in my case i think the 290x will do perfect one my basement is huge and cold year around and i have a few good high wattage psu's along with a few on the way for my setup the 290x is a no brainer now i can see where in some cases the 290x is a rip off or not a good dealim mostly going for daily income and long term income !

well in my case i think the 290x will do perfect one my basement is huge and cold year around and i have a few good high wattage psu's along with a few on the way for my setup the 290x is a no brainer now i can see where in some cases the 290x is a rip off or not a good dealim mostly going for daily income and long term income !

You want to live off your gpu's?
Cool. You'd need a lot though :p

My goal with mining is to help pay my way through college....
But my 6850 is not going to do that, and I can't afford a 270x or 280x... :(
*sigh* Such is life.

290's are just not worth it right now. I would love to have another one but add the required additional cost for cooling and it just gets out of hand with these crazy prices.

^This: go 280x.

290's/290x's can be too erratic...

I strugled to get my 290x fianally mine@900KH/s. It took me days, while I just plugged the 280's, set the TC to 8192, g 2, engine to 1061, mem to 1500 and powertune -20, voltage to 1.12 and they all give 750+KH/s.

What did you finally set your 290x at?

I agree, 290's are just not worth it right now. I would love to have another one but add the required additional cost for cooling and it just gets out of hand with these crazy prices.

What did you finally set your 290x at?

XFX Bios, 941/1500, powertune +20, TC 27400, g 1 for 895KH/s.

Anthing above 941MHz and the hashrate drops big time.

If 290's including X's were actually retailing for what they are suppose to be, I would be in agreement with all this. Using manu2b as an example, he is getting 895kh/s which is above average based on the litecoin chart... lets say he got the cheapest retail 290 @ 579.99 (if he has an X than its even more evident). Yes it gets great hash rates, and is a powerful card.. BUT for $630 USD you can buy 3 270's (IMO the most profitable card, even though the price per kh is 3rd overall) for a grand total of 1338 kh/s (based on average) thats 443kh/s more for $50USD!!!

The sheer economics of it are astounding. If I could buy a 290 I would without even blinking, but justifying it solely for mining is a poor choice economically.

@Silver 60 R9 270's at the current market prices would earn you 50k+ USD a year. for a 1/3rd of the money of 290's.

Even buying 280x's arent economical. they are almost DOUBLE in price but do not necessarily net double the kh/s

For dedicated mining based solely on price and output 7790/7850/R9 270 are hands down the best choice.

Take a look at this page: http://gpus-in-stock.com/

They sort available GPU's by type, KH/$, KH/W, and tell you where to find them with current pricing. It's a site for miners looking for GPU's, primarily in the US.

Nice site there. If the guy was smart he would throw some ads on there and make some cash since so many people will check it multiple times daily.

see this is what i have been wondering to what point is it better to run 270's at their lower cost / performance ratio... when you need to have more cards, that means more boards.. an almost 2 to 1 ratio as against say running 290's

for instance 12x 270's = $2508 + 2x motherboards and cpu's / psu's

6x 290's = $3600.... nvm i think i just figured it out lol hell its still cheaper and more power efficient.... i think.

see this is what i have been wondering to what point is it better to run 270's at their lower cost / performance ratio... when you need to have more cards, that means more boards.. an almost 2 to 1 ratio as against say running 290's

for instance 12x 270's = $2508 + 2x motherboards and cpu's / psu's

6x 290's = $3600.... nvm i think i just figured it out lol hell its still cheaper and more power efficient.... i think.

AFAIK, 290's are not worth the extra money. They get you like 60+Kh extra anyway.

280's or 270's. I shooting for a 270x :)

thats what i just said? and the 270's seem to be just as fast as the 270x's for mining. and two 270's / 270x's = more khash /s than a 290.. and you can buy 3x 270's for the price of one 290.

^ Wagex

I love the fact you still hit enter after your realization. LOL

figured i might as well share it even with the cost of motherboards / psu's long as you managed to keep that cost below $1000 which ihhope to god you could... then your all in the good to run those instead. you could build almost 3 r9-270 rigs for the price of one r9-290 rig.

so 270 = 400-450kh/s $209 which means 3x 270's = 1.2mh/s-1.35mh/s $627
290 = 800-900kh/s $599
ymmv since various cards create various outcomes in speed and whatnot.

in the end best case cenario(900mh/s vs 1350mh/s).. 50% faster performance for 4.6% more cost for the 3x270's

im too lazy to calculate the power costs but it will use upto 200w more to run the 3 cards as the 270's have a tdp of 150w and the 290's have a tdp of 250w.

Last edited:
Something else to consider when mining with 12 270s as opposed to say 4 290s.... If one or even 2 270s fail and you have to RMA your profit losses are marginal. However if 1 290 out of 4 fails you're down 25% of your hashrate.

decided to pull up some numbers with one of those calcs this is using with btc @ btc-e's rates of ~800 per BTC and a .0264 ratio with a power cost of $0.10 per kw/h

this is using just the power consumption by max TDP of the card so ymmv depending on clocks.

3x 270
gyWRJ8c.png
yBlWpPl.png

Back