• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ya... i had to ask via their online contact form - should i avoid and just up the heat and bake time as the first try at 390F for 10~ mins didnt work.

Just - SEMI - successfully baked a GTX 690 - preheated oven to 410F, after oven got pre-heated I didn't put the card in but let the temps even out in the oven for ~5 minutes. Threw card in for 13 minutes... at 10 min mark i upped the temp to 420F, shut oven off at 13min mark and opened oven a crack and let card cool in there for 10 minutes then toke out and let it cool for another 10 minutes out of the oven.

Decided to bake it again just to be sure. preheated oven to 415F, same as above - let temps settle after preheat, then put in for 13minutes, at 10min mark up temp to 425F, at 13min mark crack oven, turn off oven etc. let card cool in oven for 10mins, take out and let it fully cool down.

No more artifacts and I can get into windows. Glad I saved my friends card.

Update: tried to install drivers and I get no DVI out on monitor, DVI-D still outputs artifacts

going to try 450F for 13 minutes and report back.

Last edited:
For baking my graphic card. After 10 min i remove the card from the oven and wait to cool donw to room temperature or I live the card to cool down IN the oven?

Remove the card from the oven after 10 minutes and let it cool down. More is not necessary better in this case.

Two more success stories here. Brought back two more 8800GTX cards. One of them still artifacts at the POST screen and the Windows loading screen, but oddly it is perfectly normal in the OS and while gaming or benchmarking as far as I can see.

The other one is completely normal all around now.

Hello guys , first time here.

I have a GTX590. After trying to update the drivers and BIOS , i started getting nvlddmkm.sys and lots of artifacts on 2/3 of the DVI plugs. Only one of my DVI boots with no drivers installed after reverting the BIOS update.

Today I tried the oven trick , but no change to the scenario above. I tried +-200C/385F for 10minutes.

The question is , should I increase temperature and time for like 220C/425F and try for 12-13 mins? Or I can consider my card crippled forever?

Any other suggestions are welcome too =)

Two more success stories here. Brought back two more 8800GTX cards. One of them still artifacts at the POST screen and the Windows loading screen, but oddly it is perfectly normal in the OS and while gaming or benchmarking as far as I can see.

The other one is completely normal all around now.

so it's artifacting in 8bit vga mode? weird.

so it's artifacting in 8bit vga mode? weird.

Yes, and I'm just as surprised by that as you apparently are.

The last time I used it I benchmarked the system it was in with Aquamark3, PCMark 04 and 05 and 3DMark '03 and '06. It didn't even glitch a little bit while doing 3D benchmarks and gave out non-bugged scores that seemed reasonable (I compared to the scores of a known working card that has never had any problems while I've owned it.), but if I put it into a lower resolution like that of the POST screen then it will have artifacts.

At 1280x1024 in Windows 7 with Aero turned on or Windows XP with the normal theme it is perfectly normal.

It's really very odd, normally broken cards have the opposite problem for me.

yea, done this w/a 460 about 6 months ago it is still working fine in my son's pc 385 degrees for ten min, make sure you dont leave it in there any longer, this also works for motheboards and most other cards, and I brought a 8gb flash drive back to life with this method (remove the flash from it's plastic housing) I figured what the hay I was going to pitch it any way...(º¿º)

Maybe read the posts here first?!?

but it's when you bake you video card in the oven for a bit and it remelts the solder and fixes your video card.

but seriously, READ a bit first! :p

So you just put it in the oven cover and all? i could see maybe taking the cover off first.. yes.. but ive never heard of someone baking a video card. sorry for this being the first time ever reading about it and my lack of GOD like knowledge like you! OHH bow befor you! :ty:

u no common sense ain't so common anymore hurts me to say that....

What? I can't read this... :confused:

So you just put it in the oven cover and all? i could see maybe taking the cover off first.. yes.. but ive never heard of someone baking a video card. sorry for this being the first time ever reading about it and my lack of GOD like knowledge like you! OHH bow befor you! :ty:

I take no offense from this post (and i'm far from "GOD like" :p ), but the first post on the first page should give you an idea of "what the oven trick is".

Yes, take off the cover (and heatpaste) and don't overbake!!! No more than 10 - 12 minutes!!!

I have not been able to try this, but I've posted here about baking flash memory to "revive" it too...

We are waiting for optytrooper to fix his oven then maybe bake his old memory sticks.

What? I can't read this... :confused:

I take no offense from this post (and i'm far from "GOD like" :p ), but the first post on the first page should give you an idea of "what the oven trick is".

Yes, take off the cover (and heatpaste) and don't overbake!!! No more than 10 - 12 minutes!!!

I have not been able to try this, but I've posted here about baking flash memory to "revive" it too...

We are waiting for optytrooper to fix his oven then maybe bake his old memory sticks.

LoL

I wasn't trying to be a smartass when I said common sence isnt so common anymore but as Silver said read the post....:bang head

no dude you are just plain LAZY.. And expect everything to be handed to them..

Last edited:
I just baked a GTX 570 back to life. Gave it about 7 minutes under my heat gun, then let it cool for 10 minutes or so (I was heating it up outside, with a nice breeze here it cools off quickly).

Was previously giving artifacts at the desktop after it had a few minutes to warm up, and blue screening whenever given a 3D load to process.

Now it seems to be working normally, I ran several benchmarks (Aquamark3, 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06) with multiple runs on each and it showed no artifacts and no signs of instability.

Last edited:
Back