• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red Screen of Death ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jizzzared

So today I was playing Starcraft II and as my opponent was going to attack me in a free for all game (we both probably had close to the 200 unit limit) all of a sudden my computer monitor turned a bright red. There was no wording on the screen, just a bright red screen. The only way to get out was to do a hard shutdown. When I booted back up, everything seemed fine. I've never experienced a "RSOD" before, though, and was wondering if it had to do with Starcraft II, Windows 7 Pro, or perhaps instability?

I'm running:
Gigabyte p55a-ud3
i5 750 @ 200 x 19, 1.3 vcore
gskill eco ddr3 1600- 6-8-6-24
BFG Geforce GTX 260 core 216
OCZ Vertex 120gb
4 year old Silverstone ST56ZF 560w psu

My system has tested stable with LinX for 100+ passes at max available ram and has never been unstable in gaming, including previous experience with Starcraft II. And it is clean according to AVG and SpyBot.

Thanks in advance.

Usually colored screens like that are related to the graphics card having issues. Run Furmark fullscreen and at your monitors native resolution. If that runs for an hour or two, run LinX in the background (low priority) and run Furmark on top of it. If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure what to tell you.

ok thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Edit: Furmark failed in less than a minute with my cpu at 3,8ghz and at stock. I was watching GPUZ while Furmark started and it only got up to 72C before it crashed, both times.

My GPU is completely stock. I assume its time for an RMA? Could downclocking possibly help the situation? Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know if you let MS update install drivers for your card but if you did you might try installing the OEM from their website. I have had issues when allowing MS to update video drivers in the past.

So today I was playing Starcraft II and as my opponent was going to attack me in a free for all game (we both probably had close to the 200 unit limit) all of a sudden my computer monitor turned a bright red. There was no wording on the screen, just a bright red screen. The only way to get out was to do a hard shutdown. When I booted back up, everything seemed fine. I've never experienced a "RSOD" before, though, and was wondering if it had to do with Starcraft II, Windows 7 Pro, or perhaps instability?

I'm running:
Gigabyte p55a-ud3
i5 750 @ 200 x 19, 1.3 vcore
gskill eco ddr3 1600- 6-8-6-24
BFG Geforce GTX 260 core 216
OCZ Vertex 120gb
4 year old Silverstone ST56ZF 560w psu

My system has tested stable with LinX for 100+ passes at max available ram and has never been unstable in gaming, including previous experience with Starcraft II. And it is clean according to AVG and SpyBot.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe its just Microsoft's time of the month. Sorry i couldn't resist.

Agree with thid on graphics issues statement.

After downclocking and turning up the fan, I got the card stable in furmark. Thanks for the help guys.

Back