• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running different versions of IE...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G3F0RC3<>R4D30N

Guys, I have been doing some hardcore testing of a site I made lately... I need the ability to run IE4, IE5, IE6, IE7, and IE8. The only catch is that it's a Vista machine that I need to run these on. I am also writing a little guide to the many, many bugs in IE and their workarounds. Does anyone know of a way I could run all these versions of IE on one PC?

Thanks

I don't think you can run two different versions because they use the Windows system files. I think the only way around this is either multiple boxes or virtual machines. The latter being the cheapest/easiest.

vmware ftw.

if you use virtual PC, microsoft has images already made with ie6 and ie7.

honestly i would worry about testing: ie6, ie7, firefox, safari and maybe opera. I would worry pre ie6.

Guys, I have been doing some hardcore testing of a site I made lately... I need the ability to run IE4, IE5, IE6, IE7, and IE8. The only catch is that it's a Vista machine that I need to run these on. I am also writing a little guide to the many, many bugs in IE and their workarounds. Does anyone know of a way I could run all these versions of IE on one PC?

Thanks

http://vmware.com/products/thinapp/

"....VMware ThinApp 4, an application virtualization solution that lets customers run multiple versions of virtually any application on any Windows operating system without conflict. For example, users can run both Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 on the same operating system without disruption...."

vmware ftw.

if you use virtual PC, microsoft has images already made with ie6 and ie7.

honestly i would worry about testing: ie6, ie7, firefox, safari and maybe opera. I would worry pre ie6.

IE6 is the most popular one and the one with the most bugs, go figure...
IE5 is just terrible as well... Why doesn't Microsoft just take Firefox's code and change the interface? Wouldn't be anything new from them...

Now, for challenge #2, finding the versions of IE.

Thanks guys

Back