• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Raid Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JakeXD

I am looking to set up a Raid 1 Array in my system,
i already have a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint (of which i will purchase an identical drive for the array) drive installed with windows 7
I have looked into this and still drawing blanks on certain aspects,
now i know its better to set up the Raid array before installing the OS.... but i didnt.
but i want to now and i know you can do the software Raid using the windows 7 disk manager.
however because all my files and my OS are on the same partition of the same disk and i have to convert it from a basic to dynamic disc i have heard there are some issues, and here lies my problem.
If i convert from basic to dynamic, will this prevent me from booting from that drive?
and if it doesnt, when adding a mirror for the disc will it automatically copy the OS and all the data from the original hard drive to the new mirror drive? and if the original drive fails, will i be able to boot from this mirror?

any help is greatly appreciated :)

If you convert from basic to dynamic it will prevent OTHER os's from booting on that drive and adding a mirror will create a live updated exact copy of the drive you are using and create a bootloader that you will be able to boot from either one at any time.

Thanks for the reply....
So just to clarify,
by making the disc dynamic it wont affect the loading of my OS...
and i will be able to boot from the mirrored drive even if my main drive fails...

Back