Forum Jump

Gearing up for serious HTPC use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 07:00 PM Thread Starter   #1
Pierre3400
annnnnnd it's gone

Gearing up for serious HTPC use?

Hey guys,

Lately i have been getting all excited about Apple TV.

I dont own it, and it looks like i wont need to own it anyway.

Heres how things are. I have a PC that i made for HTPC use, but, i never actually got around to setting it up for HTPC use, since i needed to get a TV tuner for my cable to run on it.

So i just used it for movies (windows media player) and browsing internet on my tv and friends used it at a normal pc, with keyboard and mouse when they are over.

This has got to stop now! I finally got around to learning about all this stuff, and found that i really like XBMC. So im going to run that on my htpc, buy a damn tuner and get all my channels setup on it.

This brings questions?

1. Which tuner? I know it needs to have DVB-C since i run cable, but it has to be a digital one to get the HD channels on the cable i would presume? (If any danish people are lurking, its for Yousee Cable use)

2. How hard is it to get a Logitech Harmony remote to work with this? Dont want to buy one until i know for sure?

3. I am rambling on about XBMC, but is there a better one? If yes, which and why should i change my mind since i do like XBMC.

Thanks

Lan Rig Bitfenix Prodigy White - Watercooled mATX
Intel i5 2500K @ 5Ghz w/ EK Supreme LT - Asus Maximus V Gene - 2x Gigabyte GTX670 OC w/ EK 680GTX Block
8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 - OCZ Octane 2.0 64Gb SSD - Kingston Vseries 128Gb SSD - Corsair AX750 - Samsung 50"
Mining Gear
2x AsRock H61 BTC Pro - 4x 280x - 5x HD7950 - 3x HD6970
Pierre3400 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-17-12, 11:10 AM   #2
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-19-12, 09:37 AM Thread Starter   #3
Pierre3400
annnnnnd it's gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK View Post
XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).
Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.

Lan Rig Bitfenix Prodigy White - Watercooled mATX
Intel i5 2500K @ 5Ghz w/ EK Supreme LT - Asus Maximus V Gene - 2x Gigabyte GTX670 OC w/ EK 680GTX Block
8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 - OCZ Octane 2.0 64Gb SSD - Kingston Vseries 128Gb SSD - Corsair AX750 - Samsung 50"
Mining Gear
2x AsRock H61 BTC Pro - 4x 280x - 5x HD7950 - 3x HD6970
Pierre3400 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-20-12, 09:31 AM   #4
PanteraGSTK

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre3400 View Post
Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.
If you want to run linux and record tv then MythTV will be your best bet. XBMC doesn't record TV, but uses a backend software that does record TV and get a PVR build of XBMC. I tried one for windows and it was ok, but not all that great.

EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."
PanteraGSTK is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > HTPC
HTPC All your home theater PC needs.