• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vs Old NF7-S v2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
<Frets>.....maybe I should try and get this PC4000 stable

The last thing I want is to kill my good NF7 :-/

I can always sell off BH. Getting a good NF7 is a totally different issue

Received a new NF7-S

Here's the picture again for reference.
13-127-166-09.jpg

Here's what I noticed on the NF7-S that I recieved today from Newegg. Everything circled in the pic is correct - the RAM slots are now blue and purple, and reset switch/pwr on connectors are all white in color. The MOSFET things above them are missing, though there are still solder traces where they were. There are several other changes as well.

The USB connectors above the clear CMOS jumper are now blue in color. The IDE connectors are now teal. The jumpers to the right of the PCI slots are green, while the headers right between PCI slot 1 and the AGP slot are changed to red. The board's PCB color doesn't seem to have changed. The NB heatsink has changed slightly - although it's pretty much the same design, it now looks shinier - chrome or nickel plated or something. The screws are sunk in - they do't stick out. The push pins are white and hexogonal. The CPU socket lever is now metal again.

There's something rotten in Denmark...

I'll have overclocking results up for ya'll in a couple days. Like I said, I'm going to be doing a DFI Infinity Ultra II vs. Abit NF7-S Rev2 comparison for ya. Maybe I'll see if I can get it posted at www.overclockers.com.

Last edited:
If you notice on the mosfets themselves...if you have a older rev 2.0 to compair to the newer 2.0's...the mosefts are different...the ones on my first rev 2.0 had small little marking that stated...made in china...these new ones do not...and are slightly lighter then the first 2.0's...these different mosfets run a LOT hotter...but not from the front...they heat up the back of the MB more then the actual mosefts...

And my latest NF7-S rev 2.0 looks just like that in the pic above...including the missing mosfets...

hmmm.. weird the new one I got thats not doing as well as the older one I had.. Still has the black connectors and dimm slots..
when I get home later im gona check to see if those mosfets are missing also.. I also noticed the NB cooler looked shinier..and I have a plastic cpu arm..

edit**

Well they are missing those mosfets in the picture shown..

Last edited:
cmonkey said:
If you're getting crackling and popping while listening to music, try putting a heatsink on your southbridge. Just put thermal paste in the middle, put dots of super glue in the corners, and stick a little heatsink on it. I put an old Pentium 1 heatsink on mine.

Yep. It also helped with my overclock alot. Before i couldn't even get passed 170 but now i'm at 181 just because of putting on a heatsink on my SB hehe. I'm hoping i can go higher once i get a new waterblock)

The News NF7-S are colorized, I had to get a new one since my old one died, but this one really has problems cranking up the FSB.

I remember with my old one I would be able to push the FSB to 246 but with my new one it can't even go past 208 FSB.

The new ones seem to be missing the mofsets near the SATA connectors and the Vdimm does not overvolt anymore and is dead on target, Guess it is time to start modding it.

Guess it is time to start modding it.
At some point, you need to ask yourself if this board SHOULD be modded. I'm getting the feeling that the time of the NF7-S is pretty much over. They have a great reputation, but it's rapidly going downhill. They just don't overclock like the older ones did. Sure, there are a ton of fixes and ways to get it to overclock better - but it shouldn't NEED all those fixes.

Apparently these DFI's do better out of the box than a post-mod NF7-S. Why do a vdimm and VDD mod when you can get an Ultra Infinity with 3.3v vdimm and 1.9v VDD stock?

johan851 said:
Apparently these DFI's do better out of the box than a post-mod NF7-S. Why do a vdimm and VDD mod when you can get an Ultra Infinity with 3.3v vdimm and 1.9v VDD stock?

But you see the Infinity will also need mods for the vcore, and since I already have this board that i just paided for, I won't have enough for another mobo.

*Edit* I'm going to contact Abit about the extra mofsets and ask a tech about them. I'll also ask what are the differences are in the new/ old NF7-S. I'll post back when I get a reply.

Last edited:
At some point, you need to ask yourself if this board SHOULD be modded. I'm getting the feeling that the time of the NF7-S is pretty much over.
Im gonna have to agree with you on that one.... Im half tempted to sell mine.

I really dont want a dead mobo when I can just go out and buy a DFI that will do everything I want @ stock.

However we must specify what old / new truly is

... this is how it is AFAIK

Technically:

Rev2.1 (Original NF7)
Looks:
#1 Had all mofsets
#2 Primary MOFSETS that had clearly depicted "Made In China"
#3 Metal CPU Lever
#4 Black DIMM / IDE slots
#5 Old style NB fan
#6 Hot MOFSETS
#7 Pumpkin Orange PCB
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by .05
#9 Undervolts by (.5v) <--- Resolved by MOFSET sinks

Characteristics:
OCs like a SOB... the tru blu NF7. Did 250 stock...yadda..yadda

Rev2.2 (Mine)
#1 MOFESTS have a circular indent. No wording on them
#2 CPU Plastic Lever
#3 Black DIMMS / IDEs
#4 New syle NB fan
#5 Hot MOFSETS
#6 Missing MOFSETS by the USB / SATA ports
#7 Deeper Redish Orange PCB color
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by .05
#9 Undervolts by (.5v) <--- Unresolved by MOFSET sinks

Characteristics:
Moderate OCer. Will break 220 but only with the L12 mod. Refuses to go past 240 without extensive modding. (havent done it yet)

--->(Mine) Refuses to work stabily with teh infamous 2-2-2-11 combo using *good* BH5 (max 210mhz @ 2.9v).. but works fine @ 232 using 2-2-3-11 using the EXACT same voltage :confused:

Rev2.3 (*New NF7* technically)
#1 Cheap MOFSETS (????)
#2 CPU Plastic Lever
#3 Colored IDE / RAM slots (blue / purple)
#4 New syle NB fan
#5 Unknown MOFSET temps
#6 Missing MOFSETS by the USB / SATA ports
#7 Deeper Redish Orange PCB color
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by (????)
#9 Undervolts by (????)

Characteristics:
Poor OCer... not known to break over 220mhz. Further quirks are unknown.....

Last edited:
That looks pretty well put together. I'll have a little more info on the "2.3" in a couple days here. Also, mine has a metal CPU lever.

I can't believe I had a Rev 2.1 a while ago and I killed it. Stupid stupid stupid...

Originally posted by cmonkey

If you're getting crackling and popping while listening to music, try putting a heatsink on your southbridge. Just put thermal paste in the middle, put dots of super glue in the corners, and stick a little heatsink on it. I put an old Pentium 1 heatsink on mine.
Can anyone verify that for me i have that problem sometimes.

I can't verify from experience, but I can attest to the SB being very warm, and I've read several different times at several different places that putting a heatsink on the SB resolves a lot of sound problems.

It appears going with my nf7-s my board "i think" differs slightly from the above post, Because both my nf7-s boards have had the metal lever :rolleyes:
But: I wont be able to tell you the other differences until i get home later to check :rolleyes: Because im out all day possibly tonight too .

Anyhow, im putting a new cooler on the graphics card either today or tomorrow
so i will check and try to post some "indepth pic's to show you the differences
between my board and my old board ...

And we should also try to see if theres any variation between nf7-s in the uk
and around the world if possible ...

Well .. My best freind has a nf7-s rev2 and its the older style with the metal arm on the cpu socket and mosfets near the sata.. The best thing is he doesnt OC as much and sticks around 200fsb.. So he has offered to trade me

:D:D:D:D

I will mostly likely be doing the swap this weekend and ill post back with my results.. hopefully it will perform like my old one did.... **crosses fingers**

I can't believe I had a Rev 2.1 a while ago and I killed it. Stupid stupid stupid...

NF7 2.2 .... #2 bites the dust:mad:

ANOTHER cold boot.... and I have finals next week!!!!!

I cant sit around for an RMA to clear.. Im ordering a DFI today and will ebay my NF7 later... I have had ENOUGH!

Re: Received a new NF7-S

My new MB came today. It had Blue Dimms. I'll have to wait and see what Abit send to me. I got my new one from newegg. I sent the old one in to abit and they said they just sent out the new one to me today.

13-127-166-09.jpg

My roommate has the older V2.0 and my new one I got doesn't have the mosfit and the dimms are blue. Should I trade MB's with him? What do you guys think???

Is there a OCing diffrence in the boards? I called Abit, they said they updated the board and it's suppose to be better and more stable.

Ive got someones DFI board sitting here next to me ive had nothing but problems with it :mad: so i told him to go out and buy a NF7-S and yes i think its the newer type with a metel cpu clip and that looks like the pic on the other page but with a better HSF

and ive had no problems with it so far stable as a rock got to love Abit

DFI can go to hell :mad::mad:

Back