• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

***Volt Mod's For AsRock SataII***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jonspd said:
Ok I got my xp-90c in the mail. Then I went shopping for a 25 watt soldering iron, some .032" silver solder, extra tip, pack of assorted pot's and trimmer's, some tinned flux from Home Depot, and a variety of sand paper for lapping and sharping tip.

Only thing I missed was the wick to remove solder and my mx518 to show up.

I dont think I'am going to hook a wire to anything for voltage read-out's.

It may be next week before I get everything done will post result's as they show up.
Jonspd
It should be 15 watts. 25 watts is too hot for the smd's

Edit: BTW, I am now able to do 5x393mhz, just for fun of it. started @ 380, 390 and hard time in 395 but finally able to do 393mhz.
I think it is realted to good vldt. I increased it to 1.27v to post. I am afraid to fry it if I increas it further. I dont think 1.27 is enough to be able to use higher multiplier. I would like something like 380x7 or 400x7. 6 and 7 multi does not post this venice 3000. I dont know if it is the bad bios or just need more vdd and vldt.

@ 5x393
@ 5x390
@ 5x 380

EDIT: I did 5x397mhz. wasnt easy but did it. It appears that the AGP card is lucking above 393mhz. Also I believe the bios is lacking the 6x and 7x multiplier. I could not post w/ those, and always deferred to stock (9x200).
did it with:
vdd=2.17v
vldt=1.27v
vcore=1.55v
vdimm=2.91v
NB=600, 16 bit
SB=auto, SB length=auto
AGP aparature =2x, 32mb
100mhz divider
the rest same as others.

Last edited:
Everything went fine. Going to stay where I was untill I have time to play with the mod's. I missed doing the vdroop (didnt want to remove the resistor).

I did all my other mod's again. I'am now @
VDD=2.07
VLDT=1.23
Vcore=1.5
VDDIM=2.82

I also added a old molex header for my 4 read's of vcore, vldt, vdd, and vddim. I have to say it look's great after having done all the mod's with a soldering iron, ide cable wires and hot glue. Could post pic's but I will wait alittle while untill I get better result's. Also I was worried alittle had to clear cmos to get her to post.

Jonspd

Jons,

I would like to see your photos of mods..........no, I'm not going there, just curious! :)

jonspd said:
Everything went fine. Going to stay where I was untill I have time to play with the mod's. I missed doing the vdroop (didnt want to remove the resistor).

I did all my other mod's again. I'am now @
VDD=2.07
VLDT=1.23
Vcore=1.5
VDDIM=2.82

I also added a old molex header for my 4 read's of vcore, vldt, vdd, and vddim. I have to say it look's great after having done all the mod's with a soldering iron, ide cable wires and hot glue. Could post pic's but I will wait alittle while untill I get better result's. Also I was worried alittle had to clear cmos to get her to post.

Jonspd
Good job.
I had to clear CMOS too. I think had to do w/ vldt(or vdd, cant remember).
your settings are fine, not to worry. I have been running w/ mentioned settings since I did the mods, and no problem so far.
you might want to increase vdd a little. Epox and Asrock eSata, that both have ULi1695/1697 have chipset voltage adjustments to 2.20 (Epox has it to 2.30 I believe). So I set mine to 2.15v. No problem up to 2.25v as far as my resistors limit. when I had mine @ 2.07 first, I could not go over 320fsb/htt. increased it to 2.10 and was able to do what I did and posted here all excited(8x350s). what I am inferring here is: don’t be disappointed if you are not able to do better. it maybe you should increase vdd to 210v at least.

persivore @ xs used up to 1.4 if you look here @ the 17th post.

Look's good so far going to try 1.28-1.3.

Are you using stock cooler on NB & SB och?

I'am getting a good 1200+htl speed.

jonspd said:
persivore @ xs used up to 1.4 if you look here @ the 17th post.

Look's good so far going to try 1.28-1.3.

Are you using stock cooler on NB & SB och?

I'am getting a good 1200+htl speed.
I changed the SB HS w/ a copper sink. and a very small fan sitting on top of it. Pulled the fan off an old Intel's P3 HSF. NB was always cooler than SB. I guess you can just let an 80mm fan blowing on both. I also applied arctic silver grease on both NB/SB.

Been running an hour longer then this SS

vdd=2.15
vldt=1.25

Time to see how long it last.

night
jonspd

*Edit* ran for 8 hour's no problem. Cant get 313x9 for anything. Tried up to 2.19vdd and 1.3 vldt. Going for 9x311 for now if it's stable will run 310x9 for the rest of the week or so. For some reason I think I should have done the vmod trick with solder instead of leaving my paint job. Anything above 1.075 isn't stable. Could be the cpu.

Last edited:
jonspd said:
Been running an hour longer then this SS

vdd=2.15
vldt=1.25

Time to see how long it last.

night
jonspd

*Edit* ran for 8 hour's no problem. Cant get 313x9 for anything. Tried up to 2.19vdd and 1.3 vldt. Going for 9x311 for now if it's stable will run 310x9 for the rest of the week or so. For some reason I think I should have done the vmod trick with solder instead of leaving my paint job. Anything above 1.075 isn't stable. Could be the cpu.
I think you need more vcore. If not willing to do Rebel's @ least do the VID5 to get an extra 25 mv. that will put the vcore up to 1.575-1.580v
Some suggestions:
Use 8x multiplier and see if any better.
use 800mhz for both NB and SB. it should be fine up to 315mhzHTT/FSB,
if not, then use 600mhz(3x) for NB, and leave SB to 800mhz. That’s how I have it all the way to 397mhz HTT/FSB.
Just incase, restore winxp to a point that you think it was stable, tweaking may have corrupted it.
Uninstall and reinstall prime, incase it also corrupted.
defrag HDD.
use 32bit data transfer(under HDD setting)
lower AGP aperture to 32mb, and to 4x

Quick question.

vdroop resistor is 890ohm can I stack a 130 ohm smd on top of it and make my vdroop resistance 1020? or a 200ohm vr soldered to each side of the 890 resistor?

Going to so some more mod's this weekend and dont really want to remove the resistor. Also going to do the vsb mod.

If you stacked the resistor on top, they would be in parallel, and you would actually great reduce the overall resistance. Formula for resistors in paralell is 1/(1/R1+1/R2)

then the total resistance would be:
1/(1/890ohm+1/130ohm)=113 Ohms

If you wanted to have 1020 ohms, you would have to put a 130 ohm resistor in series with the 890ohm, or inbetween the solder point on the board and one leg of the 890ohm resistor.

So if I soldered a 2k ohm vr on top of the 890ohm resistor what would I get?

How did you get 113?

I can get this formula figured out for crap.

Last edited:
jonspd,
FP1 is right. unfortunately you can not increase the resistance more than what it is.
if you had a larger # (1.2k for example) you could play w/ it to bring it down to a lower #( near what persivore's is).
in your case its better to remove it.
BTW, are you sure its 890, and not 06B? reading it upsidedown

jonspd said:
So if I soldered a 2k ohm vr on top of the 890ohm resistor what would I get?

How did you get 113?

I can get this formula figured out for crap.
Then you would have 616 Ohms, formula is 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2

jonspd,
persivore's value is 1067 ohm that says got rid of droop.
you need a 19k ohm to get close to that value
Rnew=R1*R2/R1+R2=1.13*19/1.13+19=21.47/20.13=1.06656k ~1067 ohm
a 20k will give you 1069 ohm.
I am pretty sure your mobo resistor is 06B written on top of it, which translate to 1.13k ohm. I posted a link here that showed a table of resistors w/ that kind of numbering system for resistor values. here is the link.

Ok what's the easyiest way to remove the smd? heat, push, small pliers, pull? flathead tap?

jonspd said:
Ok what's the easyiest way to remove the smd? heat, push, small pliers, pull? flathead tap?
2 soldering irons. come off very easy.
I also read a guide that said use wick to draw out the solder completely, like a sponge.
another method I read was to gently slip a exacto knife under near the side melting the solder, then go to the other side(knife still in place, not pulled out) and melt the solder there and gradually work your way toward the side being melted and twist knife to pull off the melted side. when that side is no contact, then melt the other side. I would think, trying the wick first and remove some solder, and then do the knife trick.

OK I decide against the vdroop mod for now @ 1.075 in bios = a flux of 1.492-1.494 idle and 1.501-1.504 loaded. I'am @

9x311 x4 with 1244HTL speed
ram 254mhz 1T 2.5 3 3 7
vldt 1.282
vdd 2.17
vddim 2.82-3
7288/7190 mem band
29.7 sec 1mb

P.S. 1.100 in bios gives blues but I havn't tried 1.125 sence I really dont this 1.55 vcore is a good 24-7 setting. 1.5 with 2.8ghz even is fine by me.

Well seems like you decided against it, but I would think that the safest way to desolder an SMD component would be to use a desoldering wick to remove all the solder (like 3 bucks at radio shack).

Back