• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey man i registered just to say thanks for these EXACT SETTINGS

Ive been trying to figure out where the hell to even START with setting voltages since my board WAY over volts under [AUTO] modes.

Your exact settings are running stable on my Phenom b55 X2 (2 cores unlocked). THANKS!

*Virtual bro-hug*

I'm delighted my rant was of assistance :thup:

This was actually the first guide I read about OC'ing a year or two back. Great stuff.

What's an Ultimate Sticky? and why isn't this one of the first posts in this forum?

Its a stickied thread with a lot of useful links about a particular subject.

This is included inside that stickied thread, making it one of the first links you should see in this forum.

Thanks for the great info, First time posting here, and it's been an eon since I've done any OCing.. (Celeron 400a at 700mhz), and things have come a long way since... Now I have a Phenom 965, stepping 3 rev RB-C3... I don't see "black edition" anywhere but I am able to change the multiplier. Zalman Z9 case, Hyper212 push/pull, currently have it at 4008 mhz, (18.5x216) and 1.425V, have run "Heavyload" on it for a couple hours and it seems stable with a core temp of 50C and a die temp of about 48... I've nearly been able to get it at 4180 mhz but not for long even though the temps didn't get much higher. Asus M5A97r2 motherboard, Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX (2x4gb blues). This will do fine as long as it's wintertime, but I'll have to downclock it to stock when my ambient temps are 40C (it's OK, I don't have time to game in the summer anyhow)

Thanks for the great writeup!

here's the validation
http://valid.canardpc.com/u8g1tb

Last edited:
This is just a fantastic thread! Learned a lot about not just my Phenom II, but about how computer components interact, and just overclocking in general. Extremely well-written!

I have a AMD Phenom II Black Edition X6 1100T. I have never overclocked before and I am nervous about damaging my CPU but I want to see what kind of performance I can really get out of this thing as I heard that lots of people have had great result with doing so.
I will be air cooling and I am using a NZXT Phantom case with 7 fans as well as a ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme aftermarket CPU cooler.
My Mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 and the RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Will the components listed suffice?

What software would I use to OC this CPU? AMD Catalyst Control Center?

Do I have to OC using the bios? Are there any advantages for using the bios to OC oppose to OC'ing through Windows? (I'm running W8.1)

What is the best software to use for testing stability, is it still Prime95 or is there better software to work with?

I would like to be able to get it to at least 4.0GHz clock speed on this CPU. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I have never OC'd before and the info on this thread seems a bit overwhelming as I had no idea that there was so much to OC'ing a CPU.

I have a AMD Phenom II Black Edition X6 1100T. I have never overclocked before and I am nervous about damaging my CPU but I want to see what kind of performance I can really get out of this thing as I heard that lots of people have had great result with doing so.
I will be air cooling and I am using a NZXT Phantom case with 7 fans as well as a ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme aftermarket CPU cooler.
My Mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 and the RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Will the components listed suffice?

What software would I use to OC this CPU? AMD Catalyst Control Center?

Do I have to OC using the bios? Are there any advantages for using the bios to OC oppose to OC'ing through Windows? (I'm running W8.1)

What is the best software to use for testing stability, is it still Prime95 or is there better software to work with?

I would like to be able to get it to at least 4.0GHz clock speed on this CPU. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to sound like such a noob but I have never OC'd before and the info on this thread seems a bit overwhelming as I had no idea that there was so much to OC'ing a CPU.

Welcome to OCF BeKure
You should start your own thread in the AMD section and you will get lots of help. This thread is just a guide and your post may get over looked here.

DualCore AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 555, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
ASRock M3A770DE (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (1024 Mb)
4096 Mb (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
BIOS AMI (08/25/11)
After turning on ACC option(with different settings i tried) always black screen after bios ,only case works.maybe u can give me some short guide step by step how to unlock cores on my pc

Hi im just started overclocking my system ive managed to get it to 3.6ghz but i cant get it stable any higher can anyone give me some advice to get it up to 4.0ghz thanks

Amd Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1100T 3.62GHZ
Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650
Corsair 4096MB ( DDR3) not sure speed says 2 x PC3-10700H
Bios AMI 1401 04/27/2013

Hi im just started overclocking my system ive managed to get it to 3.6ghz but i cant get it stable any higher can anyone give me some advice to get it up to 4.0ghz thanks

Amd Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1100T 3.62GHZ
Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650
Corsair 4096MB ( DDR3) not sure speed says 2 x PC3-10700H
Bios AMI 1401 04/27/2013

The best advice at this point would be to start a thread in the AMD CPU section. Include some screen shots of CPU-z main spd and memory tab. Also a shot of HWMonitor free version open with Prime 95 running in the background for 20 minutes give otr take. This will give us lot's of info as to what is going on with you system. Include the info on your parts like you did and could you add the CPU cooler and case. PC3-10700 is DDR3@1333 MHz.

:welcome: To OCF scavenger84

hi thanx for the info my cooler is not a stock its coolermaster tx3 atm and want to put a coolermaster 212 evo on it

Back