• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it works like that... (unfortunately.)

According to the link, one module is two cores (really, two half cores sharing cache).

Each Module of Bulldozer is Two cores...
When C2D Launched It shared L2 cache.. Bulldozer goes further and merges and integrates FP Pipeline

First Steps to look like GFX Cards????:santa2:

Each Module of Bulldozer is Two cores...
When C2D Launched It shared L2 cache.. Bulldozer goes further and merges and integrates FP Pipeline

First Steps to look like GFX Cards????:santa2:

Wouldn't that be cool if the next re-design was a single FPU but it looks and functions more like a GPU. Since most modern GPU's (I know a lot more about Nvidia's GPU's than AMD's so sorry if I make a bad comparison) can be sliced up for different functions, 25% physics, 25% lighting, 50% geometry, then change around the percentages the next run. What would stop them from having an FPU that can perform 32 (or what ever) 128-bit operations and share that with all cores. One thread needs 8 256-bit ops, so then 16 128's are left for the rest and so on however you want to dice this up.

Here is a couple of links I came across over at xtreme. Both are fairly informative and give me a little optimism about BD.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...er_core_isscc/

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1083

Back to reality here..... Thanks for the links.

What caught my eye is that one thread could perform eight single precision FP's if the other core isn't using the FPU. For something like Folding@Home you could run on four threads on an eight core chip and still use the full FPU capacity. Meanwhile other non FP intensive apps still have four cores they can use while not slowing down the F@H client.

Fusion is the next FPU with massive parallel units. There will be some time before we know which approach is better methodology. Intel's way of making 512 bit Vector engine vs. AMD/NVIDIA utilizing graphic pipeline. Like the original RISC vs. CISC debate, I expect both to converge since fundamentally you are trying to squeeze work into more pipes.

So I thought this was suppose to be demoed at CeBit? I only found one article that said it was due to a chipset issue and that instead AMD decided to focus on fusion?

I hope it is. I have a couple grand set aside for it, but I have had a deadline changed so I'll need a good rendering rig by the end of the month... If BD still won't be around, all than money will go on an i7-970 setup.

970 over SB ??

Yes, 970 over SB. Why, did I miss the announcement where there is a six-core SB out for sale? No? Then 970 is the best price/performance ratio six-core CPU from Intel. Number of cores matters in 3D rendering (the program I use scales up to 16 cores).

Yes, 970 over SB. Why, did I miss the announcement where there is a six-core SB out for sale? No? Then 970 is the best price/performance ratio six-core CPU from Intel. Number of cores matters in 3D rendering (the program I use scales up to 16 cores).

heh, i was unaware they had any 6c with HT besides the 980x :chair:

And i dont render... :shrug:

edit:/// I highly doubt well see BD by end of month, starting to feel that same ol' stench in the air from AMD.. :rain:

How are you "starting to feel that same ol' stench in the air from AMD..?!?!?"

Amd has put it right out there, second quarter of 2011 (April, May, June). Don't get upset because a pivotal product isn't coming out early. If Amd has a SB moment and this doesn't go off without a hitch, lord knows the fanboiz will be out.

At this point the 970 is my practical best bet, however the HT does not scale linearly in rendering... 6 cores with HT will give me the equivalent of somewhere between 9 and 10 cores. And since I'm an AMD fanboi :) I'd trade all that for an 8-core BD, clock-for-clock. ;)

But work is work, and I won't let personal preferences undermine that. I'll hold off as long as I can, but I _will_ put together a new rig at the end of the month.

How are you "starting to feel that same ol' stench in the air from AMD..?!?!?"

Amd has put it right out there, second quarter of 2011 (April, May, June). Don't get upset because a pivotal product isn't coming out early. If Amd has a SB moment and this doesn't go off without a hitch, lord knows the fanboiz will be out.

Easy there boxer boy. My opnion on the subject matters in the least.
I'm only upset because my UD4 is a P.O.S. But i'm actually eased by the recall because now i can get a full refund and get a better board :p

I can only imagine the surge of classy adds going up if BD ends up dropping a bomb on SB

I know. I wasn't upset or mad or anything. I was just wondering. I'm not sure if you guys have seen the thread in XS, but a worker from Amd has given about as much information as he can without breaching NDA. ;)

to be quite honest i have my fingers crossed, my first build ever was AMD and i stuck by em' for years, even through most of the bad lol.. :D

Since we're both being honest. I've run nothing but Amd through four generations of products (s939 -> sAm2 -> Skipped Am2+ -> Am3) and then recently joined the darkside. :chair: I must say though... s1366 kicks some major a**. :rofl: With all that said, Amd is my first love. I'll more than likely buy BD even if it's a flop. :shrug:

haha, I hear ya, I've only build myself two Intel rigs over the years. one was a E8400 + Tpower I45 (man i loved that one) and current sig rig... even though my board is crap and right now i'm limping along at 4ghz.. it blows the doors off my 965+890FX :chair:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back